IGNORED

Knocking noise in the engine

1 - UP

My RSV has developed a knocing noise in the engine. I'm affraid that it is a rod, The Yamaha dealer in Titusville, FL thinks that it might be also. I asked him if it was covered under my warranty. Which expires March 18th this year. He said that he would have to call Yamaha. He called me backe yesterday and told me that I would have to start a work order and that they would have to tear into it and see what it is before Yamaha would agree to anything. Never had a problem with the bike before, so I don't know if this is a normal thing with Yamaha or not.

I took it back to the place where I have all the oil changes. He asked me to because if it was something that they did, he wanted to stand behind it, and would pay for everything and give me a lifetime of oil changes free. His top machanic, who also raced bikes for Yamaha, said that it either was the "chain basket" (What every that is) or the "cam chain tensioner", (I don't know what that is either. does that tell you how much I know about engines)

I wanted to know if anyone else has had problems like I am having? If so, what they found it out to be.

Thanks,

Ken,

1 - UP

What ever it is, if it's loud enough to sound like something's not normal in the engine, yamaha should pick up the tab to fix it. I don't buy that garbage about inspecting it first before they decide to repair. Don't let them buffalo you around. I don't know what a chain basket is, but the chain tensioner is part of the overhead cam assembly...

Just have them fix it. They have to throw out a disclaimer like that until they actually see what is wrong - heck, they don't know if you might have dropped a couple of rocks in the oil filler hole trying to get a new engine at the end of your warranty! But if you haven't done anything strange, like running it without oil (or putting rocks in the engine), then there won't be any problem at all. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Yep, I agree with V7Goose on this one..

It is a normal process for the dealer to tell you they have to tear into it it to see what the cause is.

After they establish what the noise is they then try to determine the root cause of the failure and meanwhile Yamaha leads them step by step on what they can and can not do so that they can keep track of every step of the repair and begin the preventive / corrective cycle for future manufacturing awareness..

I would not worry about it at all..it is covered under warrenty. and if you take it to the place that did all your scheduled oil changes.. our in for a cost free repair...just ask them for a "loaner" to ride until you can get yours back..

They may not give you a "loaner" until they figure out the cause, but hey... you should not loose riding time because of an engine failure that is covered under warrenty...

Hey Ken!!

Last summer I decided to do a last minute oil change just before leaving on a trip.

Drained the oil, swapped filter, then noticed I had picked up 10W30 oil instead of my usual 10W40. No time to make another trip into town for new oil.

Poured in the lighter weight oil and left on my little get-away.

Everything seemed normal for the first couple hundred miles, then started getting a definite rattle/knock (only noticable at idle). If you listen real close, it sounds like it's comming from the case in between the front and rear cylinders. If this was my old Honda, I would have sworn that the cam chain had worked loose. Very concerned.

Long story, short, when I got back home, I changed the oil back to my normal weight, and the niose went away and has never came back. So if you have changed oil in the last few hundred miles, are you sure you got the right weight oil in there?

By the way, I've had the trailer home for a couple months now, and had a chance to go over it real well. It's everything you said it was! :thumbsup:

Thanks

Dale

Thanks for the reply, I take it into the dealer next tuesday and let them decide what they are going to do. I agree regarding the warranty part. They should take care of it.

Dale I'll check regarding what weight of oil was used, thanks for that also.

I appreciate the returns on my question.

Ken

1 - UP:bang head:

Ken, how many miles you gonna rack up on Jerry's Wing, I hope you ride it a lot, cause he sure dont.............Wish he would leave it here with me for a while, I would make sure it gets used and keep tha batter charged.:cool10::cool10:

Thanks for the reply, I take it into the dealer next tuesday and let them decide what they are going to do. I agree regarding the warranty part. They should take care of it.

Dale I'll check regarding what weight of oil was used, thanks for that also.

I appreciate the returns on my question.

Ken

1 - UP:bang head: