Does anyone have a part no. for a 'substitute' thermostat to fit an '88 Venture. I have read past posts on a NAPA #156 substitute but went to my local NAPA store today and they can't come up with any number like that...the guy tried different number/letter/code combinations but couldn't get anything to come up. Is the OE thermostat 180 degree? And is /was the NAPA 156 the same temp. rating? Appreciate any input anyone has on this. Thanks!

Did u purchase that recently...is it possible there is a another number on the box or a letter code in front of the number??

Not all NAPA counter personnel is qualified...

Anyway, the full part number is THM156, like every other thermostat in the regular line.

Hey Kevin,

The stock Yamaha Thermostat and the Napa 156 both are set for 180 degrees F. My 87' vr runs about 1/3 of the way up the temp. gage until I get in traffic. Then it goes higher. I have a switch that I can turn on that that turns on the fan in traffic that helps. The other option is to NOT get stuck in traffic!:sign just kidding:

Earl

The stock Yamaha Thermostat and the Napa 156 both are set for 180 degrees F. My 87' vr runs about 1/3 of the way up the temp. gage until I get in traffic. Then it goes higher.

I concur - bought one maybe 6 months ago. My new t-stat runs slightly warmer than my old one, between 1/3 and 1/2 in cool conditions. If the weather is warm and I am in traffic or on the Interstate it will warm up more. In the Tucson summer pushing 80 mph on the hiway, it runs at or near the fan level which is about 3/4 or so.

Jeremy

Thanks to all for input. I was successful today. I did find the actual part and # at NAPA online. Went to another NAPA store today....same story...guy couldn't find the number...he found it online too...but says Canada and USA use different numbering....he persisted...phoned the supplier for thermostats in Canada (Gates)...they crossed it to the number here...2 minutes later had it in my hand. Turns out the part number in Canada on the system here is 33708. Printed on the box underneath this number is '156'. Go figure. The system here doesn't seem to reference that number....yet it is printed right on the box. The guy couldn't believe it. He says NAPA is slowly working towards a common number system in both countries. Thanks again everyone. One last question...should i drill a small 'bleed' hole in the thermostat rim...as has been suggested in previous posts here??? It seems the original has one of those rattle pins in the rim.

One last question...should i drill a small 'bleed' hole in the thermostat rim...as has been suggested in previous posts here??? It seems the original has one of those rattle pins in the rim.

I have installed several of these stats and have never drilled a hole in them. Never had any adverse effects on the cooling system.

The bleed hole doesn't matter once the engine warms enough to open the thermostat. It is mainly there, in most engines, to allow for full fill of the cooling system before warm up. Old school auto engines would burp when the tstat opened, and you'd have to refill them. On a chevy 350, it usually took a gallon or a gallon and a half to fill it the rest of the way.

Guest Swifty
but says Canada and USA use different numbering....he persisted...phoned the supplier for thermostats in Canada (Gates)...they crossed it to the number here...2 minutes later had it in my hand. Turns out the part number in Canada on the system here is 33708. Printed on the box underneath this number is '156'. Go figure.

hmmmm, I walked into NAPA store in Ontario, asked for part 156 and they had it in a couple of minutes, no questions asked.

How much trouble is it to change the stat on an'86 VR? Our seems to run cold, had it about two years think I have heard the fan twice when stuck in traffic. Beginning to doubt if it has one in it. Running below temp could be very bad for it. Any help much appreciated.

Roy:hurts:

How much trouble is it to change the stat on an'86 VR? Our seems to run cold, had it about two years think I have heard the fan twice when stuck in traffic. Beginning to doubt if it has one in it. Running below temp could be very bad for it. Any help much appreciated.

Roy:hurts:

I bet 5 Bucks that the Orientation of the Drain Valve is in the wrong Position. It's located on the right front of the Motor just where the Elbow from the Waterpump is going into the Thermostat Housing. The Arrow on the Drain Valve should point to 2'o Clock Direction.

• 1 year later...

I have a 1300cc engine in my '83. My temp gauge tends to run about the 3 o'clock position while cruising, but when I stop it goes to about a needle width below the red. I have only had this bike about a month, so still working out small issues. The fluid looks fresh and the radiator is full.

First, is the gauge anwhere near accurate? The fan does work, and I can hear it when I slow down or stop, so that's a plus.

I haven't pulled the thermostat yet, as I wanted to find out if any of you had similar experiences before I go there.

Thx.....

Guest Swifty
I have a 1300cc engine in my '83. My temp gauge tends to run about the 3 o'clock position while cruising, but when I stop it goes to about a needle width below the red. I have only had this bike about a month, so still working out small issues. The fluid looks fresh and the radiator is full.

First, is the gauge anwhere near accurate? The fan does work, and I can hear it when I slow down or stop, so that's a plus.

I haven't pulled the thermostat yet, as I wanted to find out if any of you had similar experiences before I go there.

Thx.....

Yup, same experiences. And I think most riders would say the same. The bikes run hot if in traffic, then the fan kicks in, and it generally won't over heat. I've found the gauge to be accurate in terms of the fan always kicking in when the needle rises close to the redline but have never checked it with a digital gauge. I've found the auto thermostat to cause the needle to settle a little closer to 4:00 than to the 3:00 position on highways during hot summer days, and it seems to me that the fan doesn't kick in as often in traffic.

Thx.....

Yep, same thing with my '83/1200. During the summer it will run hotter as the temps go up. At 100+ it will run close to the red. Just the nature of the beast....