IGNORED

Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Heated Clothing Instructions

I've been a member here for a few years and have met a lot of folks at Don's Maintenance Day and on Meet-N-Eats and the Asheville Rally, but unfortunately my "site time" is sporadic and I mostly lurk (I am not nearly as clever and humorous in my limited contributions as many others are).

I ride year round (to work) unless there is snow/ice on the road. My hands were always the part of me I couldn't keep comfortably warm. I tried heated grips but the tops of my hands and fingers still got cold. I was going to buy heated gloves, but was not attracted to the thought of every morning and every evening having to pull the connecting wires down through the sleeves to plug the gloves in and containing the spaghetti wiring harness inside my jacket like loose intestines.

I read as many other posts as I could find (on site and off) regarding making your own heated clothing. I did a lot of thinking and planning and procrastinating and built up the courage to buy parts and put holes in a perfectly good riding jacket.

I documented the experience with the intent of putting it on the site so that anyone else (cheap like me) feeling adventurous and possessing opposable thumbs with an aptitude to follow instructions might want to follow suit.

Essentially for the cost of heated gloves and about $50 in electrical parts I built the spaghetti wires permanently inside my armor jacket and put radiator-like heat in the jacket liner.

The attached instructions are a kind of long, but include pictures and hopefully enough detail that someone could tailor the procedure to their particular jacket, gloves, and requirements without a great deal of re-inventing the wheel.

David Nelson

Venturing Sole

25000.pdf

Edited by Freebird