IGNORED

Trailer Relay?

Freebird

OK folks, I am looking for help/suggestions here.

As most of you know, Darrell Steuer (Maddabber) was the winner of the Bushtec trailer at this years VentureRider International Rally. Most of you also know that Darrell is dealing with some serious health issues at this time and I hope you are all praying for him.

Last week, I drove down to Jacksboro, TN to the Bushtec factory and picked up his trailer for him and now have it at my house here in Oberlin, OH. I told Darrell that I would store it for him until he is able to get it and I have absolutely no problem doing that but it would be great if we could get it to him.

So, do we have enough members between here and London, Ontario, Canada to pull this off? I also need information on getting it across the border. All the paperwork for the trailer was mailed to Darrell and I'm sure he will send it to us if we need it but what do we need and what is it going to cost to get it across the border?

Your suggestions are welcome and needed. Thanks.

For a trailer he needs the certificate of origin or manufacture that includes the VIN. He should also need a bill of sale that includes the VIN. The trailer should also have a VIN and a compliance label on it which lists the GVW and tire sizes and capacities.

He has to stop at the Canadian side and take all his paperwork in to them. He will pay GST (goods and services tax)...no getting around that. He also enters what is called the registry of import vehicle program and this costs 204 dollars. Once the paperwork is completed at the border he can take it home and wait for a letter from RIV. Then he takes the trailer to the nearest Canadian Tire and they will inspect it and fill out a form that they will send off to RIV. He will get a some paperwork he needs to take to his motorvehicle branch to register it. He will likely also have to pay PST when registering it. Thats provincial tax....I cant speak on Ontario's rules though but thats what I had to do here for both my trailers and the bikes I bought south.

Normally for a MV we must stop at the US side to clear the title over and out of the US but here at least they dont care about trailers just motor vehicles.

Sound complicated? Sort of but its really not that bad.

Talking with Squidley today and he's planning a End of Year party like we've had in the past just after the first of the year. It's possible that one of our Canadian friends attending that could relay the trailer from the Port Huron area. If there was a need to store the trailer till then I could do that. Not sure just where Darrell lives so it might be easier transporting the trailer around the east side of Lake Erie.

Larry

For a trailer he needs the certificate of origin or manufacture that includes the VIN. He should also need a bill of sale that includes the VIN. The trailer should also have a VIN and a compliance label on it which lists the GVW and tire sizes and capacities.

He has to stop at the Canadian side and take all his paperwork in to them. He will pay GST (goods and services tax)...no getting around that. He also enters what is called the registry of import vehicle program and this costs 204 dollars. Once the paperwork is completed at the border he can take it home and wait for a letter from RIV. Then he takes the trailer to the nearest Canadian Tire and they will inspect it and fill out a form that they will send off to RIV. He will get a some paperwork he needs to take to his motorvehicle branch to register it. He will likely also have to pay PST when registering it. Thats provincial tax....I cant speak on Ontario's rules though but thats what I had to do here for both my trailers and the bikes I bought south.

Normally for a MV we must stop at the US side to clear the title over and out of the US but here at least they dont care about trailers just motor vehicles.

Sound complicated? Sort of but its really not that bad.

Wouldn't it be just easier to just smuggle it across the border ?

BEER30

I can come down to your place and get it and bring it home with me. We can get it over to Canada from my place and over to Darrell. Not a problem and I have about 11 days off between Christmas and New Years, give me a good day to come and get it and we'll make it happen

:thumbsup2:

Just curious here (and possibly too late), if Darrell were to buy a "used" trailer from someone like e.g. Freebird, would he save on taxes/import duties because it is a "used unit"?

Nope unless its older than 15 years. There is no duty just the taxes and cost of the RIV. It does sound daunting but its not so bad.

And dont try and smuggle it either! You wont be able to register it then.

• 1 month later...

Another sad day for the Venturerider family as well as Darrell's. Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but just being a Venturerider made him one of the best.........God speed friend..........Prayers going out to his family during this awful time.......

Lewis & Charlene

Carl mentioned Darrels situation at our meet & greet on Sat nite ,

not knowing he had passed that morning. Our prayers on Sat nite

can now be focused on Darrels bike being loaded up with luggage

for that neverending road trip . Have a safe trip my friend

Gambler