IGNORED

What would you do different in cycle wreck?

dharnie

What would you do different in cycle wreck?

My boss called to check up on me to see how I was coming along. I told him that since my lay-down 4 weeks ago, I have had plenty of time to think & watch cycle mishaps on "you tube", watch safety equipment demos and read up on latest safety gear. He asked me, "What would you have done different?" . . . and I told him.

But I am interested to know, did you learn anything from your mishap and "What would you have done different?" . . . if you have had a lay-down, motorcycle mishap, accident, wreck.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only wreck I have had was showing off when I was a kid..(17 Years old). I can name plenty of "Close Calls" but was always aware that anything can happen. I drive for a living and my thing is I never expect ANYONE to stop at stop signs,red lights etc. I am always watching traffic from the sideroads and always ready for them to just pull out in front of me. I sometimes get aggressive in curves but I make sure I know the road and consequences if I get too confident. In short I ride very defensively. In my professional career Ive seen people do the dumbest things to try and save a minute that in the end cost them or a loved one there life. Sometimes it just happens though and nothing can be done about it.

In the city I ride like everyone is trying to kill me...seems that they are and I've never done anything to warrant that!

Fingers riding on the front brake in the city...constantly aware of whats going on...stay out of blind spots and always leave an escape route for evasive actions.

Highway....if lots of trees close to road...fingers on the brake ready for critter crossing....aware of surroundings again.

I have just purchased the Butler brake mod from Rick and intend to put it on in the spring. I locked up my rear tire this fall and the resulting skid scared me so much that I will do anything for that not to happen again. I really thought with my experiance riding and practising the rear braking that it would never happen...but in the panic of the moment I hammered on that rear brake so hard that before I knew it I was almost sideways! At least I did remember not to release it and probably high siding. I got lucky and managed to stay in reasonable control and evaded the vehicle that crossed paths with me.

been down twice. once hitting a deer (my fault, Thinking about it, I could have stopped) & once going down on Black Ice (was 17 degrees, in December and should have never takin the bike out in the first place)

Thank you Lord, I'm extremely careful around other cars. some would say I'm OVER careful

8 bikes later over 435,000 under my belt on Motorcycles, in 29 years.

I sure hope it NEVER ends:12101:

I've had two different types of mishaps, once that could have been avoided, and one that (given the situation) couldn't.

The first type was on my little 200cc dual sport. I'd been out running through the woods & playing in the mud, then headed for home. Typically on that thing I take corners with a foot on the ground, wide open throttle, like I'm in motocross or something. Well, I decided to do that on my way home, not even thinking about my mud-caked rear tire. The bike went out from under me like it was on a sheet of glass. Two lessons learned: 1) don't be stupid when any element leads to lowered traction, 2) don't be stupid period.

The second type was laying my new bike on it's side when coming to a stop. We were on a trip with 3 other couples, and had been in the twisties all day. We came to a sort of T intersection, the kind we'd been simply rolling through all day because traffic was never present - just like in this case. However, we were in staggered formation with me in the second spot, towards the right side of the road. I didn't expect the leader to stop (neither did anyone else when we got to talking about it), so I wasn't fully prepared. I hit the brakes, and because we were already in the motions of turning right, weight was naturally leaning that way. I had no choice but to put my right foot down. However, at this point in the road, there was no shoulder, only a 3-5 inch drop to gravel below. Down we went. I might have been able to stop it had I been 7' tall, but other than that I think anyone would have gone down. Lessons learned: 1) always be prepared to stop, 2) always try and check your footing BEFORE stopping. I know those aren't always easy to do together, but hey, no one said these lessons had to be easy!

Guest BluesLover

Not sure what I'd do differently, other than maybe automatically replace my tires more frequently, regardless of the wear indicators.

After the accident I did vow that I would never ride without a helmet again.

Cheers,

It amazes me how many young riders dont end up dead. I see a lot of them riding wheelies down the highway, standing on the seat. and other really stupid things. One group of youngins last summer were swerving at cars on the highway.

Some crashes are unavoidable. taking a off ramp and discovering at the last second it's covered in sand. do you try to slow down on the tight curve and have the rear come out under you or do you ride a straight line off the shoulder and try to stop in the grass.

My only big crash was at 16.. racing friends through the woods on my 250 and going between two trees that were closer together than my handlebars. dont remember the crash, just waking up with a massive headache and my mouth full of teeth and blood.

I also am going to puchase the Butler Mod this winter. I have locked up the rear brake on my bike twice since I bought it. the last time I almost rear ended a car because the bike started to slide out of control. Thankfully I gopt my wits abouit me and was able to pull out of it, but my wife was behind me on her bike, saw what happened, and it just about scared her to death.

So I'll be getting the mod and sending me seat off to Rick sometime soon.

I hit a deer doing seventy mph on a dark highway. There was more than one thing I was doing wrong. Going too fast for conditions. Taking my eyes off the road for too long. I was lucky to come out on the other side still alive but I did do a few things right. I had made sure my family will be taken care of and I am at peace with my life. So I was not scared when I hit the deer. But I was thinking it was my last day on earth.

kickshot

Guest longtrain59

Because of injuries in accidents I now wear the best full face helmet and riding gear I can afford. If you ride long enough its going to happen.

You guys with the big egos and the attitude it can't happen to me, I'm too good a rider...please wear all your gear; I've seen it happen to some of the best!

I could have stayed at home under the bed. No way I could have avoided this one and I have gone over it a bunch of times in my head. Had I been looking directly at where he was hidden behind the trees and bushes I MIGHT have been able to miss him. Still not sure. He couldn't have gotten me any better if he had done it on purpose.

Everyone here certainly talks with experience - but - in so far as being in control AFTER the crash or lay-down I will say this from my latest experience - my thoughts were, "This looks familiar - I'm fuc***g going to have one hellava crash!" Then I saw ashphalt 2" from my nose going by my face in a blur! I remember seeing my hands still with the gloves on but looked like they had tumbled in a hay field with dead grass all over them. Next thing I recall was being placed in the stretcher by the ERU team. When I read the police report putting the time together I was out cold for 30 to 40 minutes. Totally not in any position to think about tuck & rolling or bailing off the bike. I think the only way that any of us get good at anything is with practice. And I am not real enthused about practicing crashing, even though that apparently is a part of our chosen sport/hobby!

I never had a bad feeling about the person who pulled out into my path. I do not even know who it is except for the police report. I have to admit that when I am a cager, as a cyclist, I even fail to see a bike at times. So knowing that, I made a commitment to myself that if I was going to get upset at every cager who drove stupid, I would never enjoy riding. So for me to enjoy riding I know that I am the superior intelligence and the cagers are the lower species. Then I just drive that way - hey hey - most of the time. I flash my lights, hit my air horns and every once in awhile I have to give them a little piece of my mind with some "hand language". Then I calm down and consider the source! :scratchchin:

When I was a kid I lost a front tire on the highway.

Lesson 1) Check your tires.

So I find myself skidding down the road and I sit up witch results in 3 high speed somersaults.

Lesson 2) Don't sit up.

I was thinking that was really stupid and I won't do that again. I roll onto my back and look at the clouds for an hour or so before I try to sit up enough to see if i'm stopped. This resulted in a duplicate set of the high speed somersaults.

Lesson 3 ) It can take a long time to stop.

Sure glad I had a good helmut on!

In the end I had a collar bone broken in 2 places and a badly sprained ankle but I walked away from it... about a mile and a half to get help.

Lesson 4) learned that when a project is overwhelming focus on short term goals in the right direction.

New goal..move left foot forward.....done

New goal move right foot forward....done

I figure If I had done the right thing I would never have got into the accident to begin with.

Hindsight is mostly 20/20 but on a bike its not always the case. Lots of things could change and you wind up getting rolled over or hit by oncoming traffic. Best to give it your all to stay out of an accident, Always expect that car to turn in front of you, or that glossy spot on the road is oil, Someone pulling out of a blind driveway in front of you.

No accident .... yet, but I did get a smartass comment about my PADDED & HiVis riding Pants and Jacket and a White FF Helmet. Guy said I looked like an F-ing Astronaut and laughed. He had a skid lid (just because the state says so) a sleeveless T-shirt and Blue Jeans.

I CLEARLY REMEMBER saying to myself... I will ware what I want to the ER and and you can ware what you want to the ER if you make it that long .

:clap2::thumbsup:

Edited by frogmaster
claned up the bad language :)

If your are able to talk about your wreck, you did some things right and had some luck with you. Lonna and I wrecked at 75 mph on I 10 in Baton Rouge after a massive tire failure. I did everything I could to keep the bike up, which came to me automatically. I did all the manuvers before I could think of them, I was happy to see that happen.

I dont think I could have done anything different as I had zero control of the culprit that slashed the sidewall of the tire. I'm always careful about my tires and dont try to push them too far. I'm pretty anal about pressures too, but it was just our time, and how we didn't die I dont know. Like mentioned, ride like nobody see's you and keep yourself out of situations like blind spots on vehicles. I also ride very cautious in cities with my hand ready to brake and shift.

Following to close to a semi on highway I saw something on the road he straddled. Had just enough time to think " I'm gonna hit it; if I turn I'm gonna lose it." Held on and hit it square. Thought grass median would be a better landing pad than concrete and headed for it. Stayed up till almost stopped but that's when the front wheel stopped rolling. Bent both rims in about 4" and blew both tires. What I now do different is think 'what if' and 'what's the best way out'.

Following to close to a semi on highway I saw something on the road he straddled. Had just enough time to think " I'm gonna hit it; if I turn I'm gonna lose it." Held on and hit it square. Thought grass median would be a better landing pad than concrete and headed for it. Stayed up till almost stopped but that's when the front wheel stopped rolling. Bent both rims in about 4" and blew both tires. What I now do different is think 'what if' and 'what's the best way out'.

I try to stay back from all vehicles just for this reason they run over something that on could be ok for them but a catasrophe for me.

When I was a kid...I used to ride a 1970 Honda 350. I weighed about 90-100 lbs. That bike would fly with me. I had several instances where folks look you in the eye and just pull right out in front of me. I had a big set of crash bars on the bike and I layed her down several times to avoid the cars. I was stupid and lucky, I never go more than a couple of scratches. Bike would get some scratches also. I got away from street riding because of this. Got heavily involved in motocross and stayed in the dirt till June 2008. I was a little aprehensive about riding on the street due to all the mishaps I had 30 years ago. I realized visablity and alertness was the key to survival on a street bike. Everytime I get on a bike now (wiser and much older) I wear a hi vis motorcycle vest. It really works. When I first got back on a street bike...again, I could watch folks look at me and pull right out in front of me. I started wearing the flourscent yellow vest and now very rare folks violate my right of way, they still do it and I still have to be alert but not near as much.

Take a look. Olympia Moto Sports Nova Hi Vis Mesh Tech Safety Vest

It works for me!

http://acmemotorcycles.com/ecom/novavest_files/nova01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

At least 3 things I'd do different after some young gal pulled out right in front of me:

#1 I'd practice braking and swerving more. I braked fairly well but still managed to catch her in the left rear quarter panel. Yep, just what you were predicting..."I didn't see you!" Looking back though, I don't think that I swerved aggressively enough as I should have just cleared her rear bumper.

#2 I would dress with decent rider's boots, (which I now do,) as all I then had on were my shiney, black, church wingtips and I put a nice gash on one of them! (Big deal...)

#3 I'd get a new bike with a nicer output at the stator coil, and that's part of why I'm here. I do have accessory lights on my present VT1100C2 Sabre, but your discouraged from using them for reasons of battery drain and that defeats their whole intent.

I hit a deer doing seventy mph on a dark highway. There was more than one thing I was doing wrong. Going too fast for conditions. Taking my eyes off the road for too long. I was lucky to come out on the other side still alive but I did do a few things right. I had made sure my family will be taken care of and I am at peace with my life. So I was not scared when I hit the deer. But I was thinking it was my last day on earth.

kickshot

There is no way to avoid deer. They are the dumbest animals on the planet. I've hit them with my car while trying to avoid them and have driven through a herd of deer standing in the middle of the road missing them all.

• 2 weeks later...

:Cool_cool36:In almost 39 years of riding I have experienced many horrendous highsides and fantastic falloffs. My two most memorable was when I was 16 years old and the other in the late 1970's. At 16 years a lady turned left in front of me. She stopped and all I could do was lay the bike down. I slid under the front of her car and hit my back on her bumper. I still remember that day due to occasional lower back pain. In the late 1970's I was riding down a farm to market road at 65 miles an hour. A friend of mine was riding a short distance behind me. We thought we would be smart and see who could do the best job at weaving back and forth across the yellow line. Needless to say I overcorrected and layed the bike down. I went sliding down the road with my head only inches from the pavement and I was not wearing my helmet. I was taken to the hospital where a nurse with two very large sponges scrubbed the gravel and pavement out of my back and all the way down to the backs of my legs. Then since both of my hands were burned, she dipped them in some sort of solution. OUCH! I am still reminded of that day by the large round scar on my left elbow. In both of these cases I learned to slow down and expect the unexpected, wear a helmet and above all don't act a fool on a motorcycle! At 48 years old my need for speed has faded. I have learned to :Cool_cool36::Cool_cool36:ride like all roads are under construction and I ride like I am invisible to other vehicles. RIDE SAFE!