IGNORED

Black Friday Death!

Tartan Terror

It amazes me that some people get so insane about standing a the door of the store in the wee hours to get in. Today in Valley Stream we had a Walmart employee get trampled to death by shoppers trying to get in!! You may say that that is the start to a good joke but Im dead serious!!! What is wrong with those freaks!!!

It amazes me that some people get so insane about standing a the door of the store in the wee hours to get in. Today in Valley Stream we had a Walmart employee get trampled to death by shoppers trying to get in!! You may say that that is the start to a good joke but Im dead serious!!! What is wrong with those freaks!!!

It's a sad commentary on the state of mankind when the rush to buy "things" is so important that people resort to this kind of stupidity. I read that they removed the door hinges in their efforts to get in early. They estimate that 200 people were in that mob that rushed in. I wish they could identify all 200 of them and prosecute every last one of them.

Pure freaking IDIOTS!!

It's a sad commentary on the state of mankind when the rush to buy "things" is so important that people resort to this kind of stupidity. I read that they removed the door hinges in their efforts to get in early. They estimate that 200 people were in that mob that rushed in. I wish they could identify all 200 of them and prosecute every last one of them.

Pure freaking IDIOTS!!

And you know when they closed the store because of the death people were heard saying that they had waited for hours and now had to leave!!! Get real people, you created the crime scene!!! Just sad and disgusting.

It is nuts. My 16 year old daughter went with a friend and her parents today to Younkers. She had found a jacket in her size and was taking it off the rack when an older woman tried to grab it out of her hands and elbowed her in the face. The friends parents brought her home and were in shock. They couldn't belive what happened. She has a 3/4 inch long cut on her eyebrow. She needed a stitch.

All for a damned jacket.

I saw the Walmart story on the news and it is a sad commentary on the priorities of some people. Snaggletooth, very sorry to hear of your daughters run in with the shopping mob mentality. Sometimes I feel like I should apologize for all the unthinking and uncaring out there in the world... What really happened to "Merry Christmas"?

I am sorry that people in this world are so stupid at to trample someone to death or elbow a young girl in the face. Krome Rose was telling me just a few minutes ago about a fist fight in our local Wal Mart over electronics.

I am glad I was able to convince Krome Rose to take her cage to work today. It was a beautiful day in the mid 60's and she really wanted to ride. I felt it wouldn't be safe with all the shoppers out there only thinking about the next sale and not looking for Motorcycles.

As bad as these people need to be prosecuted, the retail stores need to have some blame laid on them. This opening early the day after Thanksgiving and giving unheard of sales causes this mentality.

I agree with what everyone had already stated. I do not understand how something

like this can happen. I am angry, disgusted, and shocked by such animal like behavior.

I do not know what has happened to people to be so uncaring and selfish that they could not understand why the store was closed after this poor person's death.

I have been purchasing more gifts online lately. I think I will continue this practice.

I did not go out to shop this morning, because I figure the closer to Christmas it gets, the bigger the savings will be.

I will pray for the workers family.

Yama Mama

, November 28, 2008

Torontohttp://en.canoe.ca/Homepage/Images/Weather/bn.gif1°Tomorrow »http://en.canoe.ca/Homepage/Images/Weather/h.gif4°/ -1°Change city

News World

Wal-Mart worker trampled to death by shoppers

By Colleen Long, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Last Updated: 28th November 2008, 2:28pm

NEW YORK (AP) — A worker was killed in the crush Friday after a throng of shoppers eager for post-Thanksgiving bargains burst through the doors at a suburban Wal-Mart, authorities said.

At least four other people were injured, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island was closed.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a “tragic situation” and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store.

“He was bum-rushed by 200 people,” co-worker Jimmy Overby, 43, told the Daily News. “They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too. ... I literally had to fight people off my back.”

Nassau County police said the 34-year-old worker was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m. The man’s name was not released and the cause of death was not immediately known.

A police statement said shortly after the store’s 5 a.m. opening time, shoppers “physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to the ground.”

A metal portion of the door was crumpled like an accordion.

Shoppers around the country lined up early outside stores in the annual bargain hunting ritual known as Black Friday. Many stores open early and stay open late, and some of the most dramatic bargains are available in limited quantities.

Among the bargains offered by Wal-Mart for Friday were Samsung 50-inch high definition Plasma TVs for less than $800.

Witnesses told the Daily News that before the store was closed, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the worker’s life.

“They were working on him, but you could see he was dead,” said Halcyon Alexander, 29. “People were still coming through.”

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation, and she and the unborn baby were both reported to be OK, said Sgt. Anthony Repalone, a Nassau County police spokesman. Four or five other people suffered minor injuries, he said.

Ellen Davis, a spokeswoman at National Retail Federation, said the group knew of no other incident where a retail employee has died working on the day after Thanksgiving.

Wal-Mart is working closely with police, company spokesman Dan Fogleman said.

“The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority,” Fogleman said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families at this difficult time.”

As bad as these people need to be prosecuted, the retail stores need to have some blame laid on them. This opening early the day after Thanksgiving and giving unheard of sales causes this mentality.

I have to agree wholeheartedly.

Normally I'm the loudest voice for personal responsibility. However, it's estimated that there were 2000 people in that crowd. Many of us have been in a crowd (sporting event, concert etc.) and know that when the crowd is moving you have little choice but to go with the flow. If someone goes down ahead of you you have 2 options: trample them or go down trying to stop and get trampled.

The simple truth is that anyone near that employee had no choice other than to go or be crushed with him.

I lived in Cincinnati when people were killed in the surge going into a concert at Riverfront Coliseum when they had festival (open) seating. The way they made sure that never happened again was to make sure every ticket holder had an assigned seat.

The retailers create this nuisance, and need to be held responsible.

It's a shame really. When I was a kid we started Thanksgiving with all the men and boys going hunting together. Then we had the huge midday family meal. Then the children would watch Wizard of Oz while the adults slept through football. Next day everyone would sleep late then put up the Christmas decorations.

This year, when my brother in law arrived at 1:20PM for the 2 o'clock feast he complained that we had already set the huge table we have just for thanksgiving. By having it set we'd deprived him of a place to spread his ads and plan his shopping strategy. He couldn't strategize at home because he was already shopping at 7:00AM to get the early, early bird sales. And yes, we always make sure the table is set before the family arrives because we can't serve the meal for all the planning and plotting if we let the ads come out.

Of course I was up early today since my employer opens at 6 am this day because they don't dare let people purchase their crap elsewhere. The really dumb thing is we don't make money on those door busters anyhow.

Rant over.

We, as a society, are quickly losing the sense of right and wrong, of putting others first, ourselves last. We have adopted the morals and sense of animals in far too many ways. This event today is a worst case example. I see other examples every day, people walking down the middle of the street lanes in the parking lot without even caring they are holding others up. Nobody holds the door open for others anymore. When you do hold a door for others, no thank you, just a look of entitlement from them. We have gone from "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country (and other members of that society)" into just the opposite. "It is all about me, not about you". It sincerely makes me sad, and occasionally (as in the situation today), angry. Here is a poem written about the direction of the devolving nature of our post-modern culture...

Creed

by Steve Turner

We believe in Marxfreudanddarwin

We believe everything is OK

as long as you don't hurt anyone

to the best of your definition of hurt,

and to the best of your knowledge.

We believe in sex before, during, and

after marriage.

We believe in the therapy of sin.

We believe that adultery is fun.

We believe that sodomy’s OK.

We believe that taboos are taboo.

We believe that everything's getting better

despite evidence to the contrary.

The evidence must be investigated

And you can prove anything with evidence.

We believe there's something in horoscopes

UFO's and bent spoons.

Jesus was a good man just like Buddha,

Mohammed, and ourselves.

He was a good moral teacher though we think

His good morals were bad.

We believe that all religions are basically the same-

at least the one that we read about was.

They all believe in love and goodness.

They only differ on matters of creation,

sin, heaven, hell, God, and salvation.

We believe that after death comes the Nothing

Because when you ask the dead what happens

they say nothing.

If death is not the end, if the dead have lied, then its

compulsory heaven for all

excepting perhaps

Hitler, Stalin, and Genghis Kahn

We believe in Masters and Johnson

What's selected is average.

What's average is normal.

What's normal is good.

We believe in total disarmament.

We believe there are direct links between warfare and bloodshed.

Americans should beat their guns into tractors .

And the Enemies would be sure to follow.

We believe that man is essentially good.

It's only his behavior that lets him down.

This is the fault of society.

Society is the fault of conditions.

Conditions are the fault of society.

We believe that each man must find the truth that is right for him.

Reality will adapt accordingly.

The universe will readjust.

History will alter.

We believe that there is no absolute truth

excepting the truth

that there is no absolute truth.

We believe in the rejection of creeds,

And the flowering of individual thought.

If Chance be

the Father of all flesh,

disaster is his rainbow in the sky

and when you hear

State of Emergency!

Sniper Kills Ten!

Troops on Rampage!

Youths go Looting!

Bomb Blasts School!

It is but the sound of man

worshipping his maker.

Reminds me of the late '60s: I was in the Air Force, newly married and stationed in Biloxi, MS. We decided to go over to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. We were at the curb watching the floats, listening to the shouts of "Mister, Mister throw one to me". I threw my arm up to get a momento for my wife. The guy tossed one toward me but it was a little short and landed at my feet. I bent down to get it and this little old lady came out of nowhere and stomped all over my hand. Needless to say, she got it and I didn't.

People get crazy about "stuff"! Plus at Mardi-Gras, most were sloshed as well, which doesn't help. That particular year was when somebody tossing a brick at somebody, hit AL Hirt in the mouth and nearly ended his career as a jazz musician. I've had no desire to return.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter snaggletooth. Also a shame about the poor man in Walmart. They had on the news two customers in FL got into a fight and two people were shot to death. Didn't say if it was the same two people or not.

I'd like to say this is new, but I remember back when Cabbage Patch dolls first came out and folks had fist fights and pushed kids to get those stupid dolls. People can be animals and I never ever go out on black friday. I hate shopping at this time of year anyway. I don't like crowds and I never liked waiting for hours in line. So I usually do most of my purchases online.

Hope everyone gets through the holidays in one piece.

Margaret

What really happened to "Merry Christmas"?

Not that I want to start any debates or get this thread deleted, but that's EXACTLY what happens when we forget we should be celebrating the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Instead we have turned it into a selfish materialistic debacle and have shifted our attention from Jesus to ourselves.

It never ceases to amaze me just how savage and downright violent people become just to save a buck! What totally amazes me is just how clueless they are to what they are doing and why. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to the custom of exchanging gifts on Christmas, what I am saying is we have lost focus on the true meaning of the holiday (Holy + day = Holiday) and substituted our own godliness. We are trying to outdo each other as to how many gifts we can give, when the attention needs to be on what a great gift God has given us in Jesus.

OK enough of my rant. We will now return to the thread...

it saddens me to think that human beings are capable of being worse than animals. a man lost his life so some one could save a few bucks on a tv or some other item. i was at walmart yesterday morning right after they opened and the people were absolutely ignorant in attitude. i told my wife lets get out of here, this is rediculous. what starts out to be a fun event for some can turn into a tragedy, because of greed. it will be my first and last time out on black friday morning. bill :depressed:

Lots of Lemmings out there.....

Not that I want to start any debates or get this thread deleted, but that's EXACTLY what happens when we forget we should be celebrating the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Instead we have turned it into a selfish materialistic debacle and have shifted our attention from Jesus to ourselves.

It never ceases to amaze me just how savage and downright violent people become just to save a buck! What totally amazes me is just how clueless they are to what they are doing and why. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to the custom of exchanging gifts on Christmas, what I am saying is we have lost focus on the true meaning of the holiday (Holy + day = Holiday) and substituted our own godliness. We are trying to outdo each other as to how many gifts we can give, when the attention needs to be on what a great gift God has given us in Jesus.

:sign yeah that: