IGNORED

Page Scrolling

Was not sure what to call it but is there anyway to stop the a post from being to far acrss the page that I have to scroll to the right to read the whole post. Only happens on some posts, seems like when people get a little crazy with the smiles.

If it is my computer any suggestions on how to fix it as it annoying, and very hard to read.

Brad

The problem to which you refer is caused when someone decides to post a picture that is too big to fit on one page at the screen resolution you have selected. Text is dynamically split where necessary to allow the post to wrap and fit within the frame, but no way to split a picture. The only real option you have is to switch your display to a higher resolution. My smallest laptop runs at 1024x768, and this seems to handle the majority of posts quite well.

Goose

Brad....Do this....

Do you have a rectangular screen for a wide screen....?

What is your screen resolution set at...GO to Desk Top...Right click on Blue area and select Properties...Click on the tab that says "settings....What is the "screen" resolution listed as pixels....such as 1075 X 768 pixels...Knowing this would help answer you question....I agree with V7Goose..Resolution is important....I have a 19" rectangular screen and the 1075 X 768 pixels is my resolution...Handles mostly everything...

George In Virginia :confused24:

Depending on how old the laptop is, you can probably use a higher resolution than 1024x768. Try going to the next level up and see if you like it OK. If you have specific threads that give you the problem, post the link here so I can compare them on this little ultralight running 1024x768. You do have the browser running in full screen mode, right?

Note that one single post with a picture or other graphic that is too big will screw up the entire thread, even if it is 20 pages long. ALL posts are formatted to fit the sreen needed to display the widest post in the thread.

Posting pictures is a little tricky 'cause there are a number of ways to do it. The normal way, just using the Manage Attachments feature, only puts a thumbnail in the mail post, so that never causes a problem. Like this:

[ATTACH]24081[/ATTACH]

But a different way can use a link to another web site, which causes the full picture to display:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/V7Goose/Gaugesfront3.jpg http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/V7Goose/Fairingfront.jpg

That photo is posted using IMG code from Photobucket. You can see that this particular photo is not too big to fit in one page, but I could have just as easily done one that was too large. Even posting two photos side-by-side does not cause a problem as long as each one will fit on one screen, as the browser will split the post between the photos and put them one above the other instead of side-by-side if needed to fit.

Goose

Thanks for helping. It a NC6320 about two years old.

I only have to setting 600x800 and 1024x768. Browser at full screen mode , not sure ?. Everything else seems to work fine

Here's one, seems like post #2 screwed it up

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29779

Here is a picture of the screen.

Brad

My screen is set to 1280x1024 and works fine on that post.

Thanks for helping. It a NC6320 about two years old.

I only have to setting 600x800 and 1024x768. Browser at full screen mode , not sure ?. Everything else seems to work fine

Here's one, seems like post #2 screwed it up

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29779

Here is a picture of the screen.

Brad

Well, that one works fine for me on 1024x768. [edit] NOT! I spoke too soon. It works for me in Opera and Firefox, but not in IE7 (which you are using).

It was very helpful for you to post the screen shot of what it looks like - gimme a few minutes to do some comparisons and testing, and I ought to be able to figure it out for you.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose
correction!

OK, no resolution for IE7 yet, but I can give y'all a little more information. The full width of the first page in that thread is being driven by saddlebum's posting (#13), and specifically by his stringing all those graphics together without any spaces between them. Seems that IE, at least with the settings I currently have, cannot split the post without a space between the items, but the other browsers can. I'll keep working on it to see if I can find a change to IE or our forum software that will solve this.

Goose

It would be good to know if anyone is using IE7 with a resolution of 1024x768 and sees the full width of that thread without scrolling. That might at least help me identify any display options in IE7 that would be an easy fix.

Kent,

I think you have nailed it. I use Firefox and am running the same screen resolution that Brad is. I do not have to scroll on that thread. BUT....if I view the same thread with IE7, I do have to scroll. As you say, IE is not splitting the lines like other browsers do.

OK, no resolution for IE7 yet, but I can give y'all a little more information. The full width of the first page in that thread is being driven by saddlebum's posting (#13), and specifically by his stringing all those graphics together without any spaces between them. Seems that IE, at least with the settings I currently have, cannot split the post without a space between the items, but the other browsers can. I'll keep working on it to see if I can find a change to IE or our forum software that will solve this.

Goose

It would be good to know if anyone is using IE7 with a resolution of 1024x768 and sees the full width of that thread without scrolling. That might at least help me identify any display options in IE7 that would be an easy fix.

I'm runing XP Media and large pics screw up the fit too.. I can pump up the rez, but then during regular viewing the screen isn't full. Anyway to increase the rez and still get a full screen.???

Using Firefox I usually have no problems with the nuisance of scrolling sideways to see all. However immediately after reading this and moving on to the next post I had just that problem(http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29855). My resolution is 1152x862. Changing to more resolution results, as Condor said, in every thing being smaller than the screen. What words of wisdom does some one have for Condor and I?

EDIT: Changing resolution to 1280x1024 helped only slightly, then when I made text large enough for granpa to see it returned to as it was before res increase. I'm going back to1152, this text hurts my eyes.

Kent,

I think you have nailed it. I use Firefox and am running the same screen resolution that Brad is. I do not have to scroll on that thread. BUT....if I view the same thread with IE7, I do have to scroll. As you say, IE is not splitting the lines like other browsers do.

IE does split it fine if I edit that post and insert a space between the graphics. It just does not seem to be willing to take a chance and split it on it's own if there is no space there. So far, no luck in finding a display option to change that behavior.

Using Firefox I usually have no problems with the nuisance of scrolling sideways to see all. However immediately after reading this and moving on to the next post I had just that problem(http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29855). My resolution is 1152x862. Changing to more resolution results, as Condor said, in every thing being smaller than the screen. What words of wisdom does some one have for Condor and I?

EDIT: Changing resolution to 1280x1024 helped only slightly, then when I made text large enough for granpa to see it returned to as it was before res increase. I'm going back to1152, this text hurts my eyes.

I'm not sure I have enough information to fully explain this one. It looks like FutureVentures included several images in his post using IMG code, and if those images were too large, they certainly would have caused the problem you experienced. Unfortunately I cannot duplicate that since is seems he used links to pictures on his C: drive, so they are not available for later viewing. Not sure why you would have been able to see them at all (if you even could). Maybe it has something to do with him still being connected, so the temp images were in a buffer some where? Maybe it is even possible that the IMG code opened up a security hole directly to his C: drive while he was connected? I haven't heard of that happening before, but I sure don't know everything.

Goose

I think I got it corrected. I had to modify the code a bit and the problem will be, as you say, remembering what I did and doing it again anytime I upgrade the software. I may actually have it set a bit narrow now. Let me know.

Don

It is a bit narrow, I just noticed it on a post I just did 2 minutes ago...could you try again boss

:confused24:

I run into that situation from time to time....I have XP and I just use CTRL - to make it smaller and CTRL + to make it bigger.......and if its too small I have my Dollar store glasses to help me out !

Keith

I didn't know that..... Works great!!:thumbsup2: