IGNORED

cold weather gear

painterman67

Here's an idea for you. I haven't tried these. It's just an idea. I think they're fairly tempting.

http://www.hippohands.com/

Not aba didea..........I have some thing similar on my fourwheeler..................although I'm not sure about these, on my fourwheeler you seem to get lost when you don't have perifial vision of the controls.

David

Here's an idea for you. I haven't tried these. It's just an idea. I think they're fairly tempting.

http://www.hippohands.com/

Not aba didea..........I have some thing similar on my fourwheeler..................although I'm not sure about these, on my fourwheeler you seem to get lost when you don't have perifial vision of the controls.

David

These are the only way to go.I have a set that was made by Vetter in the late "70's or early '80's.I have used these on all my bikes and are great..

I posted pics in another thread last week...

I rode a week ago in the rain and 35 degrees all day and never even wore gloves...:)

Bad news on these. I wrote the folks that make them and was told they will not fit on the second gen Ventures.

Did they give any reason why they wouldn't fit? I wonder if it has anything to do with the handlebar weights. I can't think of anything else right off. I would think some modification could be made so they'd fit.

Edit: Actually they do show the RSV in the application listing now. I'm guessing it was a while back that you wrote them? The early Royal Stars could most likely use the ones for the Roadstar, except for mine, as I put the RSV handlebar weights on my bike. Mine would probably take the RSV ones.

http://www.hippohands.com/yamaha.htm

Oh, they won't fit anything but the black ones though. :rotf:

Question on the RSV though - doesn't the fairing pretty well keep the direct wind off of your hands anyway? Since the windshield on mine doesn't extend out to the handlegrip area, I put some add on wind guards from National Cycle on my bike this year for colder weather and they do help a lot. I still need something more though.

Edited by pegscraper

Here's an idea i read about in rider magazine years ago . i tried it and it works great. Buy a box of Neoprene rubber gloves like some of us wear when working on our cars and bikes. Put on the rubber gloves first then a good pair of gauntlets the neoprene really helps hold in the heat. Try it it works!

I use Gauntlet gloves which work good to about upper 30s. Once my hands start getting cold I have a pair of insulated glove liners. So far kept my hands warm down to freezing. Have not tried any colder than that and don't want to.

Guest BigJohnD
I've got a pair of ski gloves that work well. Gore-tex lined, they keep my fingers warm and dry. The coldest I've worn them is 21 but only for about 25 miles.:snow2:

Best ones I found were similar to a ski glove...and gortex as well...look at hunting supply places...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Just to update here.

I rode home from Amarillo back to my house in Plainview (about 75 miles) yesterday, and it was 38 degrees. I was toasty warm! In fact, I was warmer while riding than I was standing beside the bike before I left.

I've been doing this for decades and have a few ways of coping with the cold. They work for me.

First thing on the list, are insulated pants. You can loose a lot of heat thru your legs, even with chaps on. The insulated pants that I wear are made by Guide Gear. They look just like denim jeans, but they help keep you toasty warm. Plus, they dont look out of place when you arrive at a restaurant or other public area.

Next, a heated vest, I use the Widder brand. I had it altered slightly to fit me better. I use a variable controller, and the vest replaces all that body heat lost on those long cold rides. I also bought their electric gloves, but I have only used them twice, when it was REALLY cold. Below 30 degrees. I dont like them as well as I like the electric grips, so I rarely use them. I also have a pair of insulated boots, but I rarely need them. They get too hot when the ride is over.

I have a polar fleece liner that I wear under my leather jacket, and also insulated gloves. I also wear a heavy weight thermal long sleeve 'long john' style undershirt.

I installed heated grips on both of my road bikes. With these grips, I only need regular weight winter riding gloves, not the large cumbersome gauntlet style.

I use a 'snoopy' hat, the kind thats lined, and a neck gaiter. Of course a full face helmet would be warm also.

I could have ridden all day, in complete comfort. For my money, a heated vest and heated grips are worth every penny. And the Guide Gear jeans arent expensive at all.

My hands never get cold, I dont shiver, and the ride is very pleasant down to about 30 degrees. Below that, I have a one-piece insulated riding suit, and with that, I can ride long distances on the highway, down to temps in the high teens. I try to avoid that if I can, but I have the suit packed on the bike when I leave town in the winter. You never know when a breakdown could cause a rider to have to sit on the side of the road waiting for help for a few hours.

The Venture electrical system, as we all know, is not the best in the world, but it handles this load, and my two 20 watt driving lights, just fine.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=370584

http://www.widder.com/html/Product/System1/index.html

Edited by tx2sturgis

I just bought these insulated jeans by Wrangler. I rode tested them last week (30-34 degrees day with 20mph wind) an was very warm without chaps. Also wore insulated boots by Columbia for warm feet. If you want warm pants these are much better than the flannel lined type. These have a Thinsulate liner. They are very comfortable if you stay outside. The only thing I have found to keep my hands warm on long cold rides are electric gloves. Otherwise, I would have to stop to rewarm on the engine or coffee shop with anything else. I have used the hippo product while snowmobiling and they do work very well. If you can find those to fit, they would do a great job too.

:thumbsup:

http://www.riggsworkwearbywrangler.com/Catalog/MEN/bottoms/Denim/3W055TH

This is what I wear as far as keeping my whole body warm. I also have gauntlet gloves to keep may hands warm. I think they are made by olympus, not sure. The suit is great and I have worn it in the 20's with only dress pants and shirt on underneath.

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb3.nsf/Products/D98A4D6D2D34292F862571F00077BE86?opendocument

Did they give any reason why they wouldn't fit? I wonder if it has anything to do with the handlebar weights. I can't think of anything else right off. I would think some modification could be made so they'd fit.

Edit: Actually they do show the RSV in the application listing now. I'm guessing it was a while back that you wrote them? The early Royal Stars could most likely use the ones for the Roadstar, except for mine, as I put the RSV handlebar weights on my bike. Mine would probably take the RSV ones.

http://www.hippohands.com/yamaha.htm

Oh, they won't fit anything but the black ones though. :rotf:

Question on the RSV though - doesn't the fairing pretty well keep the direct wind off of your hands anyway? Since the windshield on mine doesn't extend out to the handlegrip area, I put some add on wind guards from National Cycle on my bike this year for colder weather and they do help a lot. I still need something more though.

Yea, he asked about the radio control unit on the left side. I'm guessing that it interfered with the mounting.

Funny thing is I asked them about it this fall. There was not a list for a Second Gen Venture so I wrote and asked about it. They asked about the radio control and asked for pictures which I provided. That's probably why they list the bike as a "Midnight Venture".:happy34:

My guess is they must have figured out how to mount one after my correspondence with them.