IGNORED

2009 VMax – Starting point for 3rd Gen Venture???

Yamaman

Just wondering if anyone else thinks that Yamaha will take this sweet new motor developed for the VMax and use it as a basis for additional big displacement bikes like the Venture and Tour Deluxe, or even a more stripped down V-4 cruiser?

Here’s a good article if you haven’t read much on the VMax yet:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2009-star-motorcycles-vmax-full-review-86751.html

You know they hear us clamoring for a new Venture after 10+ years. As much as some of us love our 2nd Gens, we’re all well aware that it’s time for some improvements. It’s hard for me to believe they would sink all that development money into a new engine only to use it on a single, limited production bike. And while I don’t expect them to build a 200 HP Venture, I would imagine they could do the same thing as back in the 80’s and just de-tune it some for the touring bike.

So, how long would it take to come up with a new Venture, and do you think they are already working on it? At what point in the development would they make an announcement? Not now, I’m sure, they don’t want to steal any thunder from the VMax, but if it were going to come out in 2010 or 2011 it seems like they would have to be already be working on it.

Any thoughts?

While I salivate for an updated 150 hp detuned VMAX motor in a 3rd gen RSV, most of us have come to expect not too much from Yamaha. We all waited with baited breath for each years new releases only to have our hopes dashed. All I can say is that Yamaha better wake up real soon and do some serious upgrades to the RSV.

While I salivate for an updated 150 hp detuned VMAX motor in a 3rd gen RSV, most of us have come to expect not too much from Yamaha. We all waited with baited breath for each years new releases only to have our hopes dashed. All I can say is that Yamaha better wake up real soon and do some serious upgrades to the RSV.

I understand waiting all these years and being disappointed. But it seems now they have no reason not to update the RSV. No manufacturer continues to make the same model indefinaitely. And why continue to build and maintain two different big V-4s. Wouldn't there be efficiencies gained by using the same basic motor for multiple bikes?

Since the overall diminsions of the new motor are not that far from the older one (current Venture?), worst case scenario couldn't they just slap the new motor into the old bike, and update a few cosmetic and feature areas. I know that's not what would be ideal, but they could still solve some problems and give us a new bike without a full blown re-development.

Now if they really want to make a splash in the touring market, keep the style of the current bike, but improve the handling and performance, lower the center of gravity, stick in a 150-160 HP version of the Vmax motor, and start kicking Honda AND H-D's butt!

Edited by Yamaman

Does this first Picture look like the 2009 Vmax ?

Not at all! Front fairing, seat, and are those saddlebags? At the very least it's a touring version of the Vmax.

Just as I was saying, there have GOT to be additional bikes in the pipeline that use this motor.

I don't think they will develop this Engine and only use for the Vmax. The Venture Flag will rise again.

My Guess is ... no Venture in 2010 (doesn't change the Emission Laws in US in 2010 ??) and a new Long Distance Tourer in 2011.

"Detuning" this Vmax Motor ???

It's no where near where it could be in the Vmax. The Power and Torque Values aren't that big when you take a Look at all the Technology they involved.

I'm currently reading the '09 Shop Manual, and i dare to say, give that Motor calmer Cams and forget the YCC-I and you got a perfect Tourer which will hold on 300 000 mls at least. Just as the V4's have been, bullit proof.

Guy here at work that rides a H-D was asking about the 08 Venture, as he was considering looking at one. I was giving him some of the details and he asked about the sound system. I mentioned it had a tape player and he said "what?", like he misunderstood me. I repeated it and he said "forget it, I would be embarassed to buy a new bike and it have a tape player in this day and time".

RandyA

there are rumors of a 2000cc 6 speed wing in 2010, when they get done with the new plant in japan and move wing production out of the usa. i would have bet on a new 3rd gen in 2011 but with the economy the way it is it may go by the wayside. they aren't going to spend a fortune to beat a dead horse.

The EPA tier 2 emissions standards go into effect for motorcycles in the 2010 model year, so expect the current bike to stop at the end of 2009.

I expect the new, EFI touring bike to come out in 2010 or to build more excitement 2011 model year however there WILL be a 3rd gen RSV produced.

Here is what my cracked crystal ball says:

It will be based on the 2nd gen VMax motor, trans and rear-end. This will help Yamaha spread the money it spent on R&D over more production units.

It will, like the VMax, have ABS.

It will NOT have more than 130 HP..... Yamaha will probably not have their touring bike competing with it's muscle bike.

The EPA tier 2 emissions standards go into effect for motorcycles in the 2010 model year, so expect the current bike to stop at the end of 2009.

I expect the new, EFI touring bike to come out in 2010 or to build more excitement 2011 model year however there WILL be a 3rd gen RSV produced.

Here is what my cracked crystal ball says:

It will be based on the 2nd gen VMax motor, trans and rear-end. This will help Yamaha spread the money it spent on R&D over more production units.

It will, like the VMax, have ABS.

It will NOT have more than 130 HP..... Yamaha will probably not have their touring bike competing with it's muscle bike.

Now we're talking... That's what I want to hear. I don't have a clue how much horsepower is the right number. Obviously the Venture doesn't need to (or can't) compete with the Vmax in performance. It just needs to kick Honda's and H-D's butts! And that means the NEXT Gen of those bikes, not the current/previous Gen. If there's a new GW coming out, then the new RSV has got to be FASTER.

When I said this:

I meant in market share, not at the drag strip. I guess I should have said so.

If the 3rd Gen RSV has the same HP as the 2nd Gen VMax then I speculate that VMax sales would suffer.

If the 3rd Gen RSV has less HP then the 2nd Gen VMax and it is a little difficult to bring the power to be equivalent with of the shelf parts, then some bikers will buy both bikes...

If the 3rd Gen RSV has less HP then the 2nd Gen VMax and it is a little difficult to bring the power to be equivalent with of the shelf parts, then some bikers will buy both bikes...

Agreed. They are two different bikes for different purposes. If I could afford both, I would want both. The vmax motor would clearly need to be set up differently for the Venture. I just don't know what that ends up being - HP and torque-wise.

My only point is the new RSV needs to be more than just the old RSV with a new motor. If Yamaha is smart they will try to build a touring bike that is so compelling that Wing and Ultra Classic owners will want to switch. It needs to look like a motorcycle (i.e, a 2nd Gen/HDUC) and ride like a sports/tourer. (i.e. 1st Gen/Wing/C14) Don't know if this is possible, but if they could do it, they wouldn't be able to make enough of 'em.

During the summer my dealership told me that they had heard rumblings from Yamaha that there was a 3rd gen coming built around the VMax. That's fine. But my 05 Venture will probably see another 4 or 5 years with me before I would consider another machine. I'm happy with what I have..... for the moment.

BUT currently the RSV is the lowest priced full dresser bike on the market. One reason is they did not update it. It still has a cassette deck!!!!

When they update the RSV the price will go up..... dramatically.... It needs to price out at at LEAST 30% less than the competition

BUT currently the RSV is the lowest priced full dresser bike on the market. One reason is they did not update it. It still has a cassette deck!!!!

When they update the RSV the price will go up..... dramatically.... It needs to price out at at LEAST 30% less than the competition

That "may" change with the Kawasaki Voyager, it certainly is a lot more updated. I'm personally anxious to see/ride one.

Hey, that Vmax article had this quote:

"Tire-spinning corners exits have been part of my fantasy world that rarely transfer into actuality, but Mr. Max makes them ear-to-ear-grinningly real".

What in the H is a "tire-spinning corners exits"? Other than something I try to avoid...

That is one impressive bike. It's just so much power, too much for me. 180mph? Where would one ever be able to check that, besides Wyoming?

Besides, I'd be too damn scared to enjoy the ride!

When a dealer says there are rumblings from yamaha they are just speculating. Yamaha keeps new bikes top secret and they don't let anyone know what is coming. I heard a lot of speculating from dealers that there wouldn't be a venture in 08. I like to speculate and dream and hope there will be a 3rd generation venture, but no one will know until it is introduced by yamaha. In a previous discussion before the 08 was introduced someone on this site talked to someone with yamaha USA and were told they would be pleasantly surprised with the changes on the 08. It didn't happen.

Well, i don't want to speculate but take a Look here ...

Yamaha Patents concerning the Vmax have surfaced end of July 2007 ....

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-news/2008-yamaha-v-max-patents-revealed-ar40715.html

Does this first Picture look like the 2009 Vmax ?

If this design is correct I would approve. It sure dont look like a 2nd Gen.

Since the overall diminsions of the new motor are not that far from the older one (current Venture?), worst case scenario couldn't they just slap the new motor into the old bike, and update a few cosmetic and feature areas. I know that's not what would be ideal, but they could still solve some problems and give us a new bike without a full blown re-development.

Now if they really want to make a splash in the touring market, keep the style of the current bike, but improve the handling and performance, lower the center of gravity, stick in a 150-160 HP version of the Vmax motor, and start kicking Honda AND H-D's butt!

I have to disagree. Change the look, too many bikes look the same no knows the difference.

RSV's dont sell all that well they'll have to do something different not saying they aren't good bikes. The Victory Vision was a different way of going breaking the mold so to say. I'm not a fan really but it stands out in a crowd its different.

You see a Goldwing you know a Goldwings coming. You see a 2nd Gen and everyone thinks Harley. Nothing sets it apart visually even Harley guys have trouble distinguishing 2nd Gen from Harley's A dime a dozen look.

When the 1st Gen came out it was a better MC and better looking then the Goldwing notice Honda soon changed after the intoduction.

That mill in a 1st Gen:draming::draming::draming::draming::draming:

TOTALLY AGREE DAN

The only wildcard is the economy like Bill said and who knows with that at least gas is way down.

Edited by CrazyHorse