While waxing my new '08 Venture S, I noticed a chrome piece of metal over the top of the rear jug on the left side (sitting on bike) and there is not one on the right side. Is this piece missing and if not, what is it's purpose. The only purpose I can see is it makes it hard to get to the seat nut on that side and easy on the other. I can't sleep wondering if my baby is missing on of her chrome pieces.:puzzled:

Guest magiardino

Baustin, I have seen those chrome "covers" discussed on this page before. I believe they are supposed to protect the carbs so we don't spill gas on them or something like that. Plus they look pretty.

Unfortunately, the back one does have to be taken off to get to the seat bolt.

Mark in NY

On my 05 it came installed upside-down on the right side! At least that way the back edge was turned down and did not interfere with access to the seat nut. When installed correctly on the left side, the rear edge is turned up and really interferes with easy access to the left seat nut - doesn't really block it, just a PITA.

Since I like the symmetrical look, AND since I can't imagine that it has any real value even when installed correctly, I removed mine and used it as a mounting plate to install gauges and a courtesy light.

Goose

A cigarette lighter! It gets pretty hot down there my fellow rider. Try to find another place to put it. ;)

Well there my fellow rider I've had a cigarette lighter there for 3 years. I wrapped the lighter with platic hose and hooked to the chrome bar with a hose clamp and run the wires to my auxillary fuse box... I can spark a butt anytime I want..

Thanks for all the replies and reassurance that all is well. I will sleep better tonight. Now if only the weather would clear up so I can hear those gears whine. I honestly don't think I have ever been more happy with a bike than this one.....so far. Everywhere I go I get compliments and usually hear that thay have never seen one of these or I didn't know Yamaha made a touring bike, etc. :draming:

I always thought they were heat shields. I have an 05 Midnight that I bought used and on rides the back of my left thigh was getting hot. Then I noticed that my bike did not have those shields so I ordered and installed them and now I have no problem with burning.

Can somene post a pic of what you're talking about? I have no problem accessing the seat nuts (and I'm not talking about the ones sitting on it) ... maybe I don't have these on mine???

I think this is what we are talking about...I only have mine on the left and not on the right rear cylinder. It sure does look like a heat shield.

I think this is what we are talking about...I only have mine on the left and not on the right rear cylinder. It sure does look like a heat shield.

Mine is on the right and it's reversed ... meaning, the "upward" lip is forward and the "downward" lip is towards the seat.

And, what are the chromed "U-bracket" for I wonder?

The picture you attached is my right side...I am also wondering what that piece of metal is for. Yours sure sounds like it is reversed, but not really sure now what is the right orientation of the metal. It may have something to do on who did the assembly of the bike at the dealership.

The picture you attached is my right side...I am also wondering what that piece of metal is for. Yours sure sounds like it is reversed, but not really sure now what is the right orientation of the metal. It may have something to do on who did the assembly of the bike at the dealership.

I doubt this part is something put on at the dealership when they uncrate it.

Yes, I took your pic and added the line & text... (was easier than snapping my own pic).

Those round loops over the rear valve covers are simply heat shields to keep the back of your hands from getting burned on the covers when taking off the seat while the engine is hot. They seem to provide very little value, but at least it is more than that stupid curved plate does.

Goose