IGNORED

Comparing an 06 RSV to an 09 Ultra - first impressions

Guest BluesLover

Guest BluesLover

As some of you know, I recently went from an 06 RSV to an 09 Ultra, after the RSV was written off in a wreck.

I loved my RSV, and we managed to put on quite a few miles (71,000 kms) over the 3 years that we had her. Most of our riding - I'd say probably 70% of the total mileage - was done 2 up. The first season and a half, I ran the Bridgestones, and changed them for an Avon rear and Dunlop front during our second riding season. This past year, I ran the Avon on the rear and a Metzeler on the front.

A few weeks ago, I picked up an 09 Ultra, and over the past couple of weeks I was able to ride it for about 3,500 kms while in Florida. So, while I'm riding the new bike, of course I am making comparisons to the RSV all the time. I thought I would share my first impressions with you - now, to be totally fair, the riding on the Ultra has been 100% solo, so I know that I am comparing one kind of apple with a different kind of apple ...

Slow speed maneuvering is much easier/better on the Ultra - note that I had never ran the narrower front tire on the RSV, so I don't know what that would handle like. I found the Ultra to be quite a bit more "nimble" at all speeds, and cornering was quite a joy (not that there are many twisties in Florida to give it a true test!). I was very surprised by how much more nimble it felt, given that there isn't too much difference in weight between the two bikes.

Wind buffeting is much greater with the Ultra, especially at highway speeds. Now, I was riding in flat, windy Florida, so that may have something to do with it, but I have ridden the RSV under similar conditions and never found it to be as much of a factor. You also get a lot more wind onto your legs on the Ultra than on the RSV.

I found the audio components to be better on the Ultra. The sound quality (the 09 comes with a Hamon-Kardon unit) is better and the controls for controlling the various bands, volume, etc. I found much easier to use. I did not have a chance to try out the CB unit on the Ultra (as an aside, I was a little surprised to find that the comm unit headset came with the bike).

Driver comfort on long rides can't be beat on the RSV. With the Ultra, I did Sarasota to Daytona without a driver's back rest and found my back was aching at the end of the day. I did get a driver's back rest put on for the Sarasota to Key West run, and no more back pain. But the pillow top seats, with the Diamond R back rest on the RSV was A1. The test of that was an 1,100 kms, 12 hour ride that I put in a couple of yeards back, between Hampton Beach, NH and St. Thomas, Ont.

Engine heat is still very noticeable on the Ultra, even with the new cross-over pipes and the standard heat deflectors on the 09. We didn't get too many REAL hot weather in Florida over the last two weeks, but if we were tied up in traffic, I could really feel the heat on my legs, especially on the right side. I never had a similar problem with the RSV.

Seat height for a short $hit like me (5' 7") is a bit of an issue with either bike. After the first season with the RSV, I had some foam shaved off the side of the seat and that fixed it for me. I will have to do something to lower the seat height on the Ultra as well - not much, but maybe an inch.

The stock windshields, for someone who is short, make you look through them. At least on the Ultra, if I had a need to look over it, I can just stretch my neck out a bit and be able to look over the shield.

I found the bikes have very different seating positions. I find myself more upright on the Ultra - which, if nothing else should improve my posture! Personally, I think I like this set up better.

Luggage space and ease of removal of saddlebags go in favour of the Ultra. I added the quick removal saddlebag hardware to the RSV, but even then it wasn't the most effective and quick way to get them off. And although there is lots of space on the RSV, the Ultra has more - and, the tour pack bag and the saddlebag bags come standard with the bike too.

I like the EFI on the Ultra versus the carbs on the RSV. Throttle response overall on the Ultra is quicker than I found on the RSV. Both bikes can sure motor though - whether it's the 5th gear on the V4 kicking in, or the 6th speed on the VTwin, you know you've got lots of power under you.

When I first saw the dash on the RSV, I was impressed by it - simple, with that marbled look (like an old style Buick?). But the Ultra, with the gauges, and the chrome accents (not standard) also looks real sharp.

Availability of parts and accessories go hands down to the Ultra.

So, as much as I loved the RSV, I am really thinking that I am going to enjoy this new bike equally as much. Of course though, it will still have to pass the ultimate test, and that will be when the better half gets on the back. Only she can give it the final stamp of approval!!!

Cheers,

Enjoyed reading this writeup. Both Nina and i were sold on the Ultra but we couldn't handle it financially. We settled for an '06 RSMV. We love the bike and even though we haven't had much of a chance to really "ride" it, I'm sure we'll be quite happy with it.

I do agree; however, about your comments re: the "nimbleness" of the Ultra... I was able to do a tight u-turn without any effort whatsoever...not so with the RSMV, the trunk and side bags, the EFI, the dash gauges, and the audio. And yes, both bikes have got ample power. I haven't had our RSMV out on the freeway yet and as such, haven't had a chance to open her up a bit but when I test drove the Ultra, I had that scoot up to 160km/h effortlessly and she felt very comfortable there. I'm looking forward to seeing how the RSMV feels at those speeds.

Nina loves the space she has on the back but she finds the backrest will take a bit of getting used to. Compared to the Ultra, it fit her well but less room to wiggle around. She likes the positioning of the floorboards on the RSMV.

Neither of us found any wind buffeting issues on the Ultra...still not sure about the RSMV. We're hoping the weather will be favourable this weekend to get her out on the freeway and open her up a bit.

Thanks for the write up Lou,

I test drove an Ultra last year and noticed the same things about the handling. Very nimble on the Ultra,the heat was also much more noticable on the Ultra.

My main complaint about the Ultra was leg room, I'm 6'3" and I felt very confined on the Ultra.

The RSV has the most leg room out of every dresser I've ever tried, and I think I've tried most of them.

Not planning on giving up the 05 any time soon, but depending on how much I like the new Voyager and what they do with the 2010 RSV, my mind is not set that I'll be getting another RSV.

I've actually been looking at the HD RoadGlide and it seems to have the leg room I need sonce it doesn't have lower fairings. But in cooler or wet weather, I can always get the leather lowers.

Of course no matter what I decide, you guys are stuck with me.

As some of you know, I recently went from an 06 RSV to an 09 Ultra, after the RSV was written off in a wreck.

I loved my RSV, and we managed to put on quite a few miles (71,000 kms) over the 3 years that we had her. Most of our riding - I'd say probably 70% of the total mileage - was done 2 up. The first season and a half, I ran the Bridgestones, and changed them for an Avon rear and Dunlop front during our second riding season. This past year, I ran the Avon on the rear and a Metzeler on the front.

A few weeks ago, I picked up an 09 Ultra, and over the past couple of weeks I was able to ride it for about 3,500 kms while in Florida. So, while I'm riding the new bike, of course I am making comparisons to the RSV all the time. I thought I would share my first impressions with you - now, to be totally fair, the riding on the Ultra has been 100% solo, so I know that I am comparing one kind of apple with a different kind of apple ...

Slow speed maneuvering is much easier/better on the Ultra - note that I had never ran the narrower front tire on the RSV, so I don't know what that would handle like. I found the Ultra to be quite a bit more "nimble" at all speeds, and cornering was quite a joy (not that there are many twisties in Florida to give it a true test!). I was very surprised by how much more nimble it felt, given that there isn't too much difference in weight between the two bikes.

Wind buffeting is much greater with the Ultra, especially at highway speeds. Now, I was riding in flat, windy Florida, so that may have something to do with it, but I have ridden the RSV under similar conditions and never found it to be as much of a factor. You also get a lot more wind onto your legs on the Ultra than on the RSV.

I found the audio components to be better on the Ultra. The sound quality (the 09 comes with a Hamon-Kardon unit) is better and the controls for controlling the various bands, volume, etc. I found much easier to use. I did not have a chance to try out the CB unit on the Ultra (as an aside, I was a little surprised to find that the comm unit headset came with the bike).

Driver comfort on long rides can't be beat on the RSV. With the Ultra, I did Sarasota to Daytona without a driver's back rest and found my back was aching at the end of the day. I did get a driver's back rest put on for the Sarasota to Key West run, and no more back pain. But the pillow top seats, with the Diamond R back rest on the RSV was A1. The test of that was an 1,100 kms, 12 hour ride that I put in a couple of yeards back, between Hampton Beach, NH and St. Thomas, Ont.

Engine heat is still very noticeable on the Ultra, even with the new cross-over pipes and the standard heat deflectors on the 09. We didn't get too many REAL hot weather in Florida over the last two weeks, but if we were tied up in traffic, I could really feel the heat on my legs, especially on the right side. I never had a similar problem with the RSV.

Seat height for a short $hit like me (5' 7") is a bit of an issue with either bike. After the first season with the RSV, I had some foam shaved off the side of the seat and that fixed it for me. I will have to do something to lower the seat height on the Ultra as well - not much, but maybe an inch.

The stock windshields, for someone who is short, make you look through them. At least on the Ultra, if I had a need to look over it, I can just stretch my neck out a bit and be able to look over the shield.

I found the bikes have very different seating positions. I find myself more upright on the Ultra - which, if nothing else should improve my posture! Personally, I think I like this set up better.

Luggage space and ease of removal of saddlebags go in favour of the Ultra. I added the quick removal saddlebag hardware to the RSV, but even then it wasn't the most effective and quick way to get them off. And although there is lots of space on the RSV, the Ultra has more - and, the tour pack bag and the saddlebag bags come standard with the bike too.

I like the EFI on the Ultra versus the carbs on the RSV. Throttle response overall on the Ultra is quicker than I found on the RSV. Both bikes can sure motor though - whether it's the 5th gear on the V4 kicking in, or the 6th speed on the VTwin, you know you've got lots of power under you.

When I first saw the dash on the RSV, I was impressed by it - simple, with that marbled look (like an old style Buick?). But the Ultra, with the gauges, and the chrome accents (not standard) also looks real sharp.

Availability of parts and accessories go hands down to the Ultra.

So, as much as I loved the RSV, I am really thinking that I am going to enjoy this new bike equally as much. Of course though, it will still have to pass the ultimate test, and that will be when the better half gets on the back. Only she can give it the final stamp of approval!!!

Cheers,

just goes to show ya, Lou!it's like P.T.Barnum said."someone gets hosed every minute, and LIKE it"!

lol

well that is a loose interpretation, of a direct quote!

:stickpoke::smile5:

when i was looking for that new bike this fall I went to the hd test ride and rode the 09 ultra 1st gear had a wine sound and 6th had a vibration. then i took out the classic and all was good then took out the road King (same frame trans, etc just striped dow ) and bike vibrated badly. so I thought spend 20,000 cdn on a bike and maybe i get good one or maybe not. I went with rsv and much cheeper still has it's down points also but still good value for the buck. and no I love my :15_8_211[1]: HD Dayna Glide for running around, but not for touring.

Guest BluesLover
Hope to see it someday.
Well, I'm still planning on riding with Ventures, so I am sure that come next riding season - we're getting snow in St. Thomas right now - we will hook up on the bikes again.

Cheers,

Well, I'm still planning on riding with Ventures, so I am sure that come next riding season - we're getting snow in St. Thomas right now - we will hook up on the bikes again.

Cheers,

Hey Lou Glad you are liking the Bike! We had a COLD day today 34 this AM but 65 this afternoon Sunny no clouds so we had a great ride.Just a little update to help you guys out. Tom

Enjoyed reading this writeup. Both Nina and i were sold on the Ultra but we couldn't handle it financially. We settled for an '06 RSMV. We love the bike and even though we haven't had much of a chance to really "ride" it, I'm sure we'll be quite happy with it.

I do agree; however, about your comments re: the "nimbleness" of the Ultra... I was able to do a tight u-turn without any effort whatsoever...not so with the RSMV, the trunk and side bags, the EFI, the dash gauges, and the audio. And yes, both bikes have got ample power. I haven't had our RSMV out on the freeway yet and as such, haven't had a chance to open her up a bit but when I test drove the Ultra, I had that scoot up to 160km/h effortlessly and she felt very comfortable there. I'm looking forward to seeing how the RSMV feels at those speeds.

Nina loves the space she has on the back but she finds the backrest will take a bit of getting used to. Compared to the Ultra, it fit her well but less room to wiggle around. She likes the positioning of the floorboards on the RSMV.

Neither of us found any wind buffeting issues on the Ultra...still not sure about the RSMV. We're hoping the weather will be favourable this weekend to get her out on the freeway and open her up a bit.

Well, the weatherman was nice to us today... clear skies broke through for a little while and the temp got up to 10 celcius so off we went... put on a couple hundred km's and had the chance to get the new scoot up to some serious speed (160km/h +) ... well, it was no trouble getting there and she handled like a dream and now that I've got some proper air pressure in the shocks and tires, the handling is great...even at low speed I was able to do a tight 180 with little effort.

Unfortunately I got the "chirp" and it is a bit annoying. Stopped in at a local dealer to talk to them about it and they have replaced the basket on 4 bikes so far this year. According to those owners, all it did was change the chirp to a different rpm range. For now I think I'll just learn to live with it. Cranking up the tunes sure helps...now where was that post explaining how to drill out the pipes???

I LOVE MY NEW RSMV!