I currently ride an 01 Vulcan 1500 with baffled Corbra drag pipes. I LOVE the sound of the bike. I've read that the RSV with the right mufflers sounds like a V8. How do you guys with aftermarket mufflers find they sound? If I like a bike to have a distinctive sound would I like a V4 with pipes? I realize a v4 won't sound like a single crank pin V-twin. I've ridden an RSV with stock and debaffled stock mufflers. They were both on the quiet side for my taste.

I have an 87' VR with the Jardine exhausts, I know it's a First Gen. but it's the same motor, and there is QUITE a difference between the stock exhaust and the Jardine exhaust! It will never sound like a big twin but it will sound much smoother and more powerful. There have been other VR riders that have complained about the loudness of my exhausts so in a group I tend to ride at the rear of the pack, but for myself, when I wring the throttle out, it comes as close to driving a race car as I need to get for a fraction of the cost of a Firebird, Transam, or a V8 Mustang. Even Jean doesn't seem to mind, as long as I keep it under !00 mph! I know there are some people that enjoy the "Thump" of a big twin but for me personally, I enjoy the "Rumble" of the V4 better. I think it is a matter of what you enjoy, after all it is YOUR scoot! If other people don't enjoy the sound of your exhaust, let them ride in front of you, or stay home for that matter.:confused24:

Just my thoughts on this subject, for what there worth.

Ride Safe,

Earl

The Baron's Bag slash pipes sound really good. The link page has an audio file you can play .

http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/369/index.html

The attached mp3 is one Cobra used to have on their site (a year or so ago) when I bought my drag pipes from them. Cobra apparently doesn't sell pipes for the venture & RSTD any longer. Mine sounds a bit different from the mp3 because I have the 4-pipe setup. The mp3, if I remember, is for the 4 into 2 RSTD/Venture pipes.

I don't know if BUB or some of the others (Kromewerks,etc.) have sound files to hear their pipes, because I haven't had occasion to go look since I bought my pipes. I've heard both and they definitely sound good, too. Some of the guys here have short videos on youtube you might want to check into.

I can't resist throwing in the second attached Windows Media Audio(wma) file for grins (play with windows media player or similar)....you wanted a v8 sound, hee, heee!! :12101:

Guest Texcowboy

I have Bubs on my 04 Venture, has a nice deep sound, not harsh, when you get on it sounds extra good but again not harsh. I guess it does sound somewhat like a v8.

I've always prefered the sound & look of Vance & Hines exhaust. So when Squidley fabricated adapter brackets to facilitate the use of Harley pipes on the RSV, I bought a set, removed the Bubs, and installed a set of V&H. Couldn't be happier with the look and sound. By the way, the best way to hear music from the speakers is to stick in some earplugs to block out the wind noise. Then I can hear the music loud and clear. Exhaust noise does not bother.

Mine with stock harley road king mufflers does sound almost like my 406 small block powered 71 chevelle with dual 2-1/2" pipes. Just loud enough to know it is running at idle and cruise, just loud enough to sound powerful when it is pulling. Very nice tone when pulling. The tone is a little "tinny" when revved without a load, but great tone when pulling under load. Those stock harley mufflers sound nothing like a harley. The Road King rider who gave them to me has remarked numerous times that my bike sounds better than his.

Guest Texcowboy
Do you still hear your music with your nice sounding pipes?

The pipes dont drown out my music, a strong wind does though when played thru the speakers. My answer to that is a helmet headset, lets you really enjoy the stereo effect.

I've got the Baron's 4/2/4 pipes - sounds great - a little loud - but I love the look - and the sound.

Lone Eagle - I am running my 4-2-4's without the packing and it made them a little "tinny" - are you packin' or unpackin' :thumbsup2: ??

I am thinking about putting my packing back in....

Shep

since I've never heard my pipes off the bike, they sound exactly like my Baron Nasty Boys. I only wish they would have come out with the shorter mount when I bought mind as you do have to watch out backing into a curb not having the clearence and not leaning it over hitting your tail-pipe on it. But if you really want the sound of a V-8, theres always the Boss Hoss, lol. :whistling:

I have the BUBs slip ons and love them. this is just cruising noise level...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D3kA44M674]YouTube - venture ride[/ame]

And this is getting on it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae6nMp2x4k8]YouTube - VENTURE ROLLING KICK[/ame]

Hope this helps a little.:2cents:

Edited by yamahamer

The V-4 sound (or more like a hot rod V-8) is like no other bike when your running the right pipes. Personally, I have installed a set of aftermarket vintage Harley FLH fishtails that I purchased from J&P Cycles and I love it. Just what I was looking for, a deep throaty sound when rumbling along, not obnoxious, but when I crack her open, it roars like a 8 cylinder race car. I think I have a little more power too. I have not changed the air filters nor the jets, as my plugs are burning fine. I have about 14,000K on them now.

Anyone got any other ideas or comments on how they modified their exhaust note?

Bar

I have the Barons Bag Slash pipes on mine. Just put them on about 2 weeks ago. I had the Road King Pipes. Very nice and loud. Not obnoxious, but loud. It does sound like a V8 when getting up to speed. I have headsets in my helmet and can hear the music with no issues.

I've had COBRA pipes on my Vulcan and it sounded great. But witht he Venture, I am not sure if I really want one...if I do I may not hear the radio. Any thoughts on this?

No problems with the music. I have my audio volume set to 15 once I'm rolling and the auto leveller does the rest. Mind you - an open faced 3/4 helmet helps!