IGNORED

My 1st wreck

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

Saturday my wife & I went out of town for a little trip. The road we were on was an incline. There was some road construction and the asphalt ended. The road was a thick gravel/shale. I drove up this winding incline and had enough. I told my wife I was going to make a U-turn and go back. Guys, don't ever try to do a U-turn on an incline, on shale, on a 800+ lb. bike, with 2 passengers! Learn by my stupid mistake. I went into my turn, didn't have enough power, tried to accelerate, back tire lost traction, caught traction and threw my wife off the back into the road on her back, front tire slid out and I went down! Messed up the crash bars and dinged up my lt rear trunk pretty bad. And I dinged up my pride too. Worst of all I hurt my wife. I can't tell you the guilt I felt and still feel. Her lt elbow was lacerated. She has a large hemotoma on the elbow. She is aching all over. She took it a lot better than I did.

Edited by 05RSMVTEXAN

It could have been a lot worse... Hope the guilt and the wife heal quickly. It's never good to try a U-turn on an incline...ever. But if you have to, backing into a turn is about the only way to make it in one piece...on blacktop. On gravel/shale just bite the bullet and keep going....

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

Tom I should have let Dana off and then tried it. You are right. But I like what condor suggested. I should have stopped and just backed up and turned around.

So sorry to hear about the mishap.... I did exactly the same thing when I first got the bike. And like you my biggest fear has always been hurting my wife. I could never forgive myself, at fault or not, if she were to get injured. I understand completely. That is the reason for all the expense and time toward making the bike as controllable and safe as possible. This will pass and you two will be enjoying the fresh air before you know it! :)

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

Owen I appreciate the words of encouragement. Thank you friend. You're probably one of those men who like myself have a wife that is a wonderful gift. I say it all the time --- My wife is the tangible thing on this earth that assures me that there is a God that knows me and loves me. There is no other way I would have her outside of God's help.:thumbsup2:

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN
Sorry to hear about the dump and glad that she is gonna be ok. It sounds like she is taking things pretty good and banging your head around too much!

It sounds like she understands that these things happen sometimes.

Yea she took it alot better than me. She's ready to ride now!

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN
If I was your wife, I would have gotten up and kicked you in the A**, then asked if you were okay.:big-grin-emoticon:

Trust me Brake Pad I deserved a good a** kicking. I'm not sure what I was thinking.:starz:

Saturday my wife & I went out of town for a little trip. The road we were on was an incline. There was some road construction and the asphalt ended. The road was a thick gravel/shale. I drove up this winding incline and had enough. I told my wife I was going to make a U-turn and go back. Guys, don't ever try to do a U-turn on an incline, on shale, on a 800+ lb. bike, with 2 passengers! Learn by my stupid mistake. I went into my turn, didn't have enough power, tried to accelerate, back tire lost traction, caught traction and threw my wife off the back into the road on her back, front tire slid out and I went down! Messed up the crash bars and dinged up my lt rear trunk pretty bad. And I dinged up my pride too. Worst of all I hurt my wife. I can't tell you the guilt I felt and still feel. Her lt elbow was lacerated. She has a large hemotoma on the elbow. She is aching all over. She took it a lot better than I did.

I completely understand. Last year - we were in the driveway (back from a ride). As my wife dismounted the bike - her foot caught the seat and as I looked back I could see her fall, but there was noting I could do. It was only about a 3 foot drop but it was a free-fall. She had on her helmet praise God! But she hit hard. I got her into the house, but a few minutes later she began to repeat herself and speak out of her head a bit - I knew it was concussion time. Called 911 and it was months before she could get rid of the headaches and back on the bike. But she did and we are still enjoying riding together.

Believe me - I understand the guilt. I almost quit riding because I didn't want the responsibility or even the possibility of hurting my wife even worse. Sounds to me like you definitely have a gift from the Lord in your wife. She has already chalked it up - but forgiving yourself will be the hard part...

I will leave you with this: Mercy is NOT getting what we do deserve - Grace is getting what we DO NOT deserve. Sounds like she has given you both! :thumbsup2:

Shep

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN
I completely understand. Last year - we were in the driveway (back from a ride). As my wife dismounted the bike - her foot caught the seat and as I looked back I could see her fall, but there was noting I could do. It was only about a 3 foot drop but it was a free-fall. She had on her helmet praise God! But she hit hard. I got her into the house, but a few minutes later she began to repeat herself and speak out of her head a bit - I knew it was concussion time. Called 911 and it was months before she could get rid of the headaches and back on the bike. But she did and we are still enjoying riding together.

Believe me - I understand the guilt. I almost quit riding because I didn't want the responsibility or even the possibility of hurting my wife even worse. Sounds to me like you definitely have a gift from the Lord in your wife. She has already chalked it up - but forgiving yourself will be the hard part...

I will leave you with this: Mercy is NOT getting what we do deserve - Grace is getting what we DO NOT deserve. Sounds like she has given you both! :thumbsup2:

Shep

Shep you're a good man! I appreciate those words. Sounds like you have one of those priceless diamonds in your life as well. We have so much to be thankful for.

After my wife's and my accident in Baton Rouge this January I was very hesitant on having my wife back on the bike. I know I couldn't have prevented the accident, but I felt as bad as I ever have knowing that she was hurt and I couldn't do anything to prevent it. I'm glad to hear that yours wasn't terrible.

Shep, I'm glad you guys are safe now. So sorry your wife was hurt. I hope she recovers quickly.

I had a little mishap that threw LilBit off the bike, but she wasn't hurt. Just killed me though. I was more upset over her being thrown than I was about damage to me or the bike.

I tell you the fact that my inexperience on slow speed handling caused me to be very proactive about it. I got the Ride Like a pro DVD and practiced, practiced, practiced. Before she got back on WilderBeast, I was much improved. I am not insinuating this was your case, just mine.

Ponch

Glad to hear that both you and the wife are fine. If your tire did not loose the traction, I am pretty sure that you made that U turn with no problem.

It won't be long...the bike can be fixed and you'll be back on riding soon.

I know how you feel. I worry all the time about having a wreck and my wife getting hurt. That is one of the reasons that I went to a trike a couple of months ago. It doesn't mean we wont get in a wreck but I feel more secure on wet pavement or gravel

Squidley tell the truth, you weren't in Baton Rouge, just excited because you were so close. Lyle

Guest superfly1953

Me and my wife Queenie lived on a gravel road for many years and one day the enevitable happened we met a car going a little faster than it should have been in acurve with no gaurdrails and the only thing to do was put the bike over the hill luckily we were not hurt and the bike got off pretty easy to but it makes you stay more on your gaurd when the one you love is on the back.....

• 7 months later...

Thank god everybodys ok kinda similar thing happend to me i was riding single

with 5 guys on harleys & i hit the gravel on turn & tire skid thing happend

I walked away hole in jacket scuffed up boot broken passing lamp & scratched

saddle bag guard oh & bruised ego it really shook me up my 1st time going down

thank god i had on all the proper riding gear. ride safe hope you & the wife heal quickly

Tom I should have let Dana off and then tried it. You are right. But I like what condor suggested. I should have stopped and just backed up and turned around.

Maybe a slight correction here

Tom I should have let Dana off and then tried it. You are right. But I like what condor suggested. I should have stopped, let her off, and then just backed up and turned around.

Just glad it wasn't nay worse.

God Bless

Carl

/

I have found that when I have done stuff like this, I am usually not focused enough and usually a little irritated about something.

We were in a neighborhood with a slight incline looking for something for her and when she said "ok, let's turn around" I attempeted to do a u-turn. I did not realize how quickly the bike would slow and not only was I beginning to tip to the left, but the incline made it worse to reach the ground. The bike went down and we both ended up with skinned knees.

Another time I was pulling the camper and she wanted to go up this road in Maggie Valley, NC that she said had a campground sign. Even though it was paved to the top, it was an 18% incline. When I finally got to the top, it turned into gravel and I decided to do the u-turn thing again. This time as I was turning, the camper pulled me over with my feet in the gravel. There were horse riding stables there and a couple of guys came over to help me pick the bike up and finish turning it around.

I did not realize it, but I had climbed from about 1,500 to about 5,000 feet. I had to stay in 1st gear all the way down and my EBC HH brakes got hot, even with me stopping occasionally. When we finally made it down, I could not see a campground sign anywhere near that road.

RandyA

• 6 months later...

So glad it was not worse than that. I too did a u turn on a steep incline right up the street from me. Halfway thru, with left side looking downhill...I missed first and she went into nuetral.....rut row. I credit my long bicycle history and god given good balance, that I drove her thru the turn. I knew if I tryed to stop etc. I would probably go down. Was a tricky move to save her. All done by instinct really. No gravel or wife for me thou. If I was thinking. I would have her dismount. Then do it. Those elbow things hurt. Hope she is thru that part of it.

... I am so glad your wife is healing well. She is a woman of Grace and Godliness, and obviously you know that. Thanks for posting.

JackZ

So glad it was not worse than that. I too did a u turn on a steep incline right up the street from me. Halfway thru, with left side looking downhill...I missed first and she went into nuetral.....rut row. I credit my long bicycle history and god given good balance, that I drove her thru the turn. I knew if I tryed to stop etc. I would probably go down. Was a tricky move to save her. All done by instinct really. No gravel or wife for me thou. If I was thinking. I would have her dismount. Then do it. Those elbow things hurt. Hope she is thru that part of it.

A year later I should hope so as well :innocent::whistling::confused24: