User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: My 1st wreck

  1. #1
    05RSMVTEXAN Guest

    Default My 1st wreck

    Saturday my wife & I went out of town for a little trip. The road we were on was an incline. There was some road construction and the asphalt ended. The road was a thick gravel/shale. I drove up this winding incline and had enough. I told my wife I was going to make a U-turn and go back. Guys, don't ever try to do a U-turn on an incline, on shale, on a 800+ lb. bike, with 2 passengers! Learn by my stupid mistake. I went into my turn, didn't have enough power, tried to accelerate, back tire lost traction, caught traction and threw my wife off the back into the road on her back, front tire slid out and I went down! Messed up the crash bars and dinged up my lt rear trunk pretty bad. And I dinged up my pride too. Worst of all I hurt my wife. I can't tell you the guilt I felt and still feel. Her lt elbow was lacerated. She has a large hemotoma on the elbow. She is aching all over. She took it a lot better than I did.
    Last edited by 05RSMVTEXAN; 11-04-2008 at 05:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Carmichael CA
    Posts
    12,451
    United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It could have been a lot worse... Hope the guilt and the wife heal quickly. It's never good to try a U-turn on an incline...ever. But if you have to, backing into a turn is about the only way to make it in one piece...on blacktop. On gravel/shale just bite the bullet and keep going....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Blanco
    Posts
    1,991
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just glad you are OK!..Im a little overcautious when Debby is on,if I have a tight turn on small road I make her get off..Guess I dont have the confidence.

  4. #4
    05RSMVTEXAN Guest

    Default

    Tom I should have let Dana off and then tried it. You are right. But I like what condor suggested. I should have stopped and just backed up and turned around.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    885
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So sorry to hear about the mishap.... I did exactly the same thing when I first got the bike. And like you my biggest fear has always been hurting my wife. I could never forgive myself, at fault or not, if she were to get injured. I understand completely. That is the reason for all the expense and time toward making the bike as controllable and safe as possible. This will pass and you two will be enjoying the fresh air before you know it!

  6. #6
    05RSMVTEXAN Guest

    Default

    Owen I appreciate the words of encouragement. Thank you friend. You're probably one of those men who like myself have a wife that is a wonderful gift. I say it all the time --- My wife is the tangible thing on this earth that assures me that there is a God that knows me and loves me. There is no other way I would have her outside of God's help.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Morganton
    Posts
    982
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sorry to hear about your mishap. I hope your wife heals quickly! Live and learn. I learn something every time I get on a bike. That's one of the great things about riding it's a never ending learning process.-Jack

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brandon
    Posts
    2,554
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sorry to hear about the dump and glad that she is gonna be ok. It sounds like she is taking things pretty good and banging your head around too much!
    It sounds like she understands that these things happen sometimes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vero Beach, Fl
    Posts
    3,352
    United States
    FL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I was your wife, I would have gotten up and kicked you in the A**, then asked if you were okay.

  10. #10
    05RSMVTEXAN Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarges46 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the dump and glad that she is gonna be ok. It sounds like she is taking things pretty good and banging your head around too much!
    It sounds like she understands that these things happen sometimes.
    Yea she took it alot better than me. She's ready to ride now!

  11. #11
    05RSMVTEXAN Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brake Pad View Post
    If I was your wife, I would have gotten up and kicked you in the A**, then asked if you were okay.
    Trust me Brake Pad I deserved a good a** kicking. I'm not sure what I was thinking.

  12. #12
    Shep Guest

    Default Guilt

    Quote Originally Posted by 05RSMVTEXAN View Post
    Saturday my wife & I went out of town for a little trip. The road we were on was an incline. There was some road construction and the asphalt ended. The road was a thick gravel/shale. I drove up this winding incline and had enough. I told my wife I was going to make a U-turn and go back. Guys, don't ever try to do a U-turn on an incline, on shale, on a 800+ lb. bike, with 2 passengers! Learn by my stupid mistake. I went into my turn, didn't have enough power, tried to accelerate, back tire lost traction, caught traction and threw my wife off the back into the road on her back, front tire slid out and I went down! Messed up the crash bars and dinged up my lt rear trunk pretty bad. And I dinged up my pride too. Worst of all I hurt my wife. I can't tell you the guilt I felt and still feel. Her lt elbow was lacerated. She has a large hemotoma on the elbow. She is aching all over. She took it a lot better than I did.
    I completely understand. Last year - we were in the driveway (back from a ride). As my wife dismounted the bike - her foot caught the seat and as I looked back I could see her fall, but there was noting I could do. It was only about a 3 foot drop but it was a free-fall. She had on her helmet praise God! But she hit hard. I got her into the house, but a few minutes later she began to repeat herself and speak out of her head a bit - I knew it was concussion time. Called 911 and it was months before she could get rid of the headaches and back on the bike. But she did and we are still enjoying riding together.

    Believe me - I understand the guilt. I almost quit riding because I didn't want the responsibility or even the possibility of hurting my wife even worse. Sounds to me like you definitely have a gift from the Lord in your wife. She has already chalked it up - but forgiving yourself will be the hard part...

    I will leave you with this: Mercy is NOT getting what we do deserve - Grace is getting what we DO NOT deserve. Sounds like she has given you both!

    Shep

  13. #13
    05RSMVTEXAN Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I completely understand. Last year - we were in the driveway (back from a ride). As my wife dismounted the bike - her foot caught the seat and as I looked back I could see her fall, but there was noting I could do. It was only about a 3 foot drop but it was a free-fall. She had on her helmet praise God! But she hit hard. I got her into the house, but a few minutes later she began to repeat herself and speak out of her head a bit - I knew it was concussion time. Called 911 and it was months before she could get rid of the headaches and back on the bike. But she did and we are still enjoying riding together.

    Believe me - I understand the guilt. I almost quit riding because I didn't want the responsibility or even the possibility of hurting my wife even worse. Sounds to me like you definitely have a gift from the Lord in your wife. She has already chalked it up - but forgiving yourself will be the hard part...

    I will leave you with this: Mercy is NOT getting what we do deserve - Grace is getting what we DO NOT deserve. Sounds like she has given you both!

    Shep
    Shep you're a good man! I appreciate those words. Sounds like you have one of those priceless diamonds in your life as well. We have so much to be thankful for.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    15,125
    United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    After my wife's and my accident in Baton Rouge this January I was very hesitant on having my wife back on the bike. I know I couldn't have prevented the accident, but I felt as bad as I ever have knowing that she was hurt and I couldn't do anything to prevent it. I'm glad to hear that yours wasn't terrible.
    Gunboat....I eagerly await the day we can ride together again, Godspeed my brother

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tomball
    Posts
    1,121
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unhappy Best Wishes

    Shep, I'm glad you guys are safe now. So sorry your wife was hurt. I hope she recovers quickly.

    I had a little mishap that threw LilBit off the bike, but she wasn't hurt. Just killed me though. I was more upset over her being thrown than I was about damage to me or the bike.

    I tell you the fact that my inexperience on slow speed handling caused me to be very proactive about it. I got the Ride Like a pro DVD and practiced, practiced, practiced. Before she got back on WilderBeast, I was much improved. I am not insinuating this was your case, just mine.

    Ponch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What would you do different in cycle wreck?
    By dharnie in forum Lessons Learned
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM
  2. Bike repaired after wreck
    By Eddy in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 11:13 PM
  3. Bike Wreck in Al?
    By pick in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 10:46 AM
  4. Almost saw a BAD bike wreck
    By Jethroish in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 12:45 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •