IGNORED

Grand canyon

Thistledown

I am thinking that we would like to take a trip on the RSV leaving Virginia and riding a loop seeing the Grand canyon first and then proceeding north to Yellowstone then on back to Virginia. I would plan on camping a couple days then staying in a motel the third day. I would like feed back on the best time of year to do this as well as routing and camping information. Maybe there is some suggested reading material. Our trips in the past have been 3 or 4 day, staying at night in motels. Wife agrees to try the camping, but we will still eat in restaurants. I am planning 3 to 4 weeks to do this trip. All suggestion appreciated

I highly recommend getting a National Parks Pass. When I did a trip out west last year the $80 pass payed for itself at Yellowstone alone! We were kind of based in Cody for a few days and to go west from there you have to go thru' the park, it's 20 bucks each time.

You are at an advantage because if you are over 62 the pass is only $10 and I think it is good for life. Click "Senior Pass" to get more info.

If you have the time, go ahead and do Glacier National Park as well. I recommend doing the Going To The Sun highway from west to east. That puts you on the side for the best views.

Ed- A lot of the suggests will be based on what roads you are planning on riding on you way to and back from the Grand Canyon.

Todd is absolutely right - get an annual pass to the National Parks!!

Might I suggest that you join us in Cody (Sept. 14-17, 2009) for the Venture West V Rally? We'll be riding through Yellowstone as well as the Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass etc. This could easily be the the start of your trip or on the tail end. You can also give many of us in the west the opportunity to meet you and your wife and rub shoulders for a few days. Jan and I are staying in the cabins at http://www.codyponderosa.com

Almost like a motel but much better prices.

Most likely, going from Yellowstone to Grand Canyon (or vice versa) will take you along I-15 and through SLC. You also will be within a short distance ride (30 mile approx) of Zions National Park (near St. George, Utah). When you come through SLC we would love to visit or have you stay with us.

Hope you can come join us.

Ride Safe!!

Dave

i've been to the south and north rims...yellowstone...and just about every place in between in the last 4 yrs.....i can say that the southern rim was fine in late may..but was chilly ( 50 degrees ) in the mornings..will be plenty warm by 10 am.....yellowstone was great in middle august...with also some cool mornings.....but, do i need to say that no one can predict the weather. you have to have riding gear to fit all conditions...( like snow in the mountains in june )....to me late spring is good for southern routes....august for northern routes...

more traffic in the vacation months ( june,july,august)...wasn't too bad for us in august at yellowstone

we don't camp, nothing worse than riding all day and then having to deal with pitching camp in a rainstorm, or too hot or too cold....then you have to carry your gear and pack and un-packl...you must be pulling a trailer so that works...if not, where do you carry everything...we have had great luck with $40 hotels in little towns...nothing like that hot shower and bed......personal choice however...

3-4 weeks is plenty of time...you will have a great time.....

You will have an absolute delight with the Grand Canyon. When we took our two week trip, we got to the South Rim just about sunset. It was absolutely breathtaking!!! :thumbsup2: The ride to the Grand Canyon was beautiful too. I am working on getting pictures ready to be posted!

Our only regret was that we were not able to stay longer - but we will plan on it next time!!! :thumbsup:

You are going to have a great trip.

I went through the Grand Canyon South Rim, East from Cameron,Az through the park to Grand Canyon. I think that was a good desicion. I wish I had planned more time. There are some great hotels in Grand Canyon. I like camping, but when your on a long rode trip on a bike, camping is a lot of extra time and work.

If you have time. go down to Sedona, Az, just south of Flagstaff. Absolutley beautiful country.

I just want to ad a bit about Yellowstone. Other than Old Faithful, I wasn't all that excited about Yellowstone Park. But don't let me discourage you. Plan to do Glacier Park as well. That will make the trip worth while. If you really want some scenery, head on up to the Ice Fields in Canada between Banff and Jasper.

Also when you are in Yellowstone, you are not far from Sturgis and the Black Hills. Beautiful. So much to see. Have a great safe trip. You will love it.

Bill