IGNORED

Sleep tight, we are riding to night.

Yama Mama

Has any one else had the problem of dozing off on long rides. It has happened to me several times. I usually catch myself before actually falling asleep. The first time it happened we were heading home from Knoxville. I think it was around 2 AM and we were on the expressway. Ron had the music off and there I was fighting to stay awake.

I know it is not a good thing. Just wondered if it happened to anyone else. I know Mini is going to make fun of me, but I thought I would ask if it is just me.

:draming:

Yama Mama

I would never make fun of you Peggy. I've dozed off on the bike before too. Usually on trips that bring us home after 1am as well. I think I must be worse I've done it with the radio on. It's just these bikes are so comfortable who could help themselves. :rotf::rotf:Just hope the guys don't do it, that would be enough to keep the rider awake.

Margaret

I have dozed off during the day. Midday, Hot and Cold, radio playing. Try to keep something with a caffine kick with me for those times. Kind of frighting to think of it with no arm rests.:yikes: Know some of the girls with arm rests do go to sleep some times. So yes comfortable on all, the 84, 89, and 99. Dozed on all of them. So the Venture is a comfortable bike. Anyone have any ideas on staying awake?

. Anyone have any ideas on staying awake?

I have several ideas about how to stay awake but the Warden will only practice them with her...:whistling: :innocent: :innocent: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The Warden has fallen asleep several times. When she does I know it is time to find a quiet, secluded spot to wake her back up. :thumbsup: :innocent-emoticon:

If I had a buck for every time Laura has dozed off, I could probably buy a new bike. This is especially true since I put the arm rests on it. Usually, she just gets quite, but sometimes I get the thump in the back of my helmet. This has usually been on a warm afternoon in the sun. One of the things we carry on the bike is a vinyl tablecloth that has a cotton type side. We have been known while on the Blue Ridge Parkway to find a comfortable place and spread it out and take a nap.

RandyA

I've caught myself getting the glassy stare when riding alone; usually on a warm day. At night, I'd pull off and get off the bike. During the day, I try opening my face shield, popping a few M&M's (peanut, of course) or sipping a coffee or cola. If that doesn't help, it's time to get off the bike and stretch for a while.

Peggy, and the others, I have many friends who's wives or girl friends ride with them and they fall a sleep a lot. It's really fun when they wake up and ask, "where are we?". Louise reads books or magazines on the back of a BMW. I would not worry about it as long as the other half stays a wake.

Several years ago I took my then 20 year old son to the AMA museum and on the way home he fell asleep. I tried talking to him via the intercom but he was dead to the world asleep. I nudged him with my elbow and when he awoke he jerked up and sideways, we went from right hand track of right lane to emergency strip on the left side of the interstate when he did that. When i got control, and back into my lane we got off the next exit and he went for a walk, ( a very long walk actually) that combined with his life flashing before his eyes was enough to keep him awake for the other 2 hours home.

Guest tessa c2

yes Hazel also dooses off also, andon the 86 she is tucked in there pretty good, thought about tart strap as well, but the way she is tucked in there i am not to worried. but yes i get the bump as a signal as well, usually we have enough coffee in us that the bladder does it's thing, and by the time the 21/2 hours are up we got to fuel up and empty out. pete

Has any one else had the problem of dozing off on long rides. It has happened to me several times. I usually catch myself before actually falling asleep. The first time it happened we were heading home from Knoxville. I think it was around 2 AM and we were on the expressway. Ron had the music off and there I was fighting to stay awake.

I know it is not a good thing. Just wondered if it happened to anyone else. I know Mini is going to make fun of me, but I thought I would ask if it is just me.

:draming:

Yama Mama

My wife has trouble staying away too. This year she started something new and its seemed to help. She started taking pictures of a specific thing during a ride, barns, churches, horses, cows, etc. We have ended up with some really nice photos. We do very little riding together in the dark and this obviously wouldn't work then, but an idea for during the day.

Guest maddabber

Dawn- Marie falls asleep all the time. I guess it comes down to faith in the driver. On a 1000 mile trip she will sleep most of 300 miles of that. She says it is the fresh air, the heat,:scorched:movememnt of the bike and of course she is not at work so she gets relaxed. I do not mind as long as she doesn't lean on my back then there is a wakeup call.

Darrell

Back in the late 80s, my girlfriend and I were going from dinner with my brother, at his cabin on Tablerock Lake in the Ozarks, back to her parent's cabin further around the lake. It was late, dark and about a 40 mile ride in gentle twisties. We were on a Kawi 650 with a sissy bar. I got the tap of the helmet and realized that she was asleep. I woke her up and had her put her hands in my coat pockets. That way, when she fell asleep again, I would be able to tell if she started to lean either way. It worked out well and she slept about half the way home.

Most of the time, my gal is sooooooo busy talking that I fall asleep, :rotfl::rotf: - just kidding of course.

She has nodded off on occasion - I can tell because the talking stops - so I give her leg a squeeze - then we pull over, and then....and then.....:no-no-no:

Guest Oldsalt

I haven't seen anyone note the issue I had so thought I would contribute it as it was a SERIOUS one that probably saved my life.

Short version: I fell asleep driving my car on Interstate 5 and woke up before anything bad happened. It scared the BJs out of me though and when I mentioned it to my doctor at my next visit, he sent me to a sleep clinic for a check up. They wired me up and I slept there one night with a person in the next room monitoring 'my vitals'. When I asked how things went the next morning he said: "well I usually wait for the doctor to read the results (charts) but in your case, you have a problem and it is called sleep apnea. Turns out I would stop breathing for up to 90 seconds and then restart again. It seems that it isn't the stop breathing that is the problem but rather it is the restart as it puts considerable strain on the body (heart).

This it turns out also contributed to my snoring (something I denied but my wife and kids just rolled their eyes at). The fix turned out to be two things: 1) I began using a sleep machine (which I really liked because I got to sleep quicker) and this in turn got me a full nights sleep. Before this I was waking up all night whenever I restarted my breathing (although I didn't know it at the time). In short I was not getting a good nights sleep and felt kind of tired during the day. 2) I lost a lot of weight and that eventually allowed me to sleep normally all night without the machine.

Anyway, most of the folks are probably correct in that you are just enjoying your ride too much. But there are sometimes real concerns when falling asleep while driving that pay to be looked into.

John

i would never get on the back of the bike with anybody. much less fall asleep. my wife says you ought to ride on the back with you. you would'nt do it. i said you are exactly right. women have to be nuts to get on the back of a bike with us. i don't even like to ride in a car when i don't have control over the situation. you gals definately have more nerve than you need. :rasberry: :cool10::cool10::depressed::2133:

This is how i handled taters on the one time she fell asleep on the back of my bike...i ever soooo slooowly pulled off the road as not to wake her and said....

look out were gonna die.......she never did fall asleep again...ok ..ok i made it up...but i really want to do that..she always denies falling asleep....