IGNORED

Dry hub?? <<clicking from rear axle>>

BigBear

Someone here mentioned a condition called "Dry Hub". Can anyone provide more details...maybe a fix?

I've got an 08 RSV. Without the bike running, when I roll the bike forward or backward, there is a loud click coming from the rear axle. What's bad is I can hear the click with the bike running, all the way up to about 40 MPH. I tried turning up the radio, but....

Is this something that would be covered under waranty?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You will need to remove the rear wheel first:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=515

Here is the Rear Hub Info you will also need.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13263

However, as Mini already stated, it is covered under warrenty, but if you want to do it yourself so that you know it was done and learn more about your bike the above info will walk you through it.

If you need any help, you can give me a call.. Phone # is in my profile..:thumbsup2:

Someone here mentioned a condition called "Dry Hub". Can anyone provide more details...maybe a fix?

I've got an 08 RSV. Without the bike running, when I roll the bike forward or backward, there is a loud click coming from the rear axle. What's bad is I can hear the click with the bike running, all the way up to about 40 MPH. I tried turning up the radio, but....

Is this something that would be covered under waranty?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

as minimuffin said it's covered on warranty. what causes it is they don't lube the pins that go into the rubber hub damper, and they get a light coat of rust on them. they don't get carried away lubing the spline either. i lubed my spline and forgot to do the pins and it still clicked. won't hurt a thing , just annoying. i used high temp disc brake caliper lube from autozone. it is a thick black paste that contains moly, and grafite, and will not sling off. it could cause your clutch to slip. lol. :)

Based recommendations from this thread, I took the scoot to the dealer.

Dealer said that the rear bearing(s) where SHOT and riding it this way is UNSAFE. That said, the dealer ordered replacement bearins/parts (5-7 day delivery), all covered under warranty. Only have 3300 miles on the bike...I'm surprised at this failure.

Worse part is, the wife and I put a couple hundred miles on the scoot on Saturday (Biketoberfest), and I took the grandson out for a putt on Sunday.

:2133: Guess someone was looking out for me! :2133:

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Shot bearings? I am very surprized. :think:

It is possible... but I just wonder if the dealer took it apart to come up with this diagnosis? Or just listen and look? It very much sounds like a bearing problem.

My 07 Midnight started making that noise at 800 miles... I losened the 4 acorn bolts on the final drive and spun the rear wheel. For some reason the noise just about stopped. I am pretty sure my noise is not a bearing.

Yeah I know it is covered by warranty, but If I do it myself I will know it is done right. I guess I do not trust folks to do a good job anymore.

I got the Moly grease on order got most of the stuff off of it already and plan on tearing it down Wednesday. I will let you know of the results