IGNORED

My 1st 18mm Spark Plug!!!

I guess I'm too far out of touch to know that an 18mm plug even existed, but dag nabbit, that's what my NGKs are in the '85. I'm guessing that all of you already knew about these because I'm the usually last to hear about anything. But, 18mm and not 5/8 or 3/4?? WOW, what a hoot!

That spark plug socket in the Venture tool kit makes it pretty easy to change plugs. Use the big wrench (I don't remember which one, 22mm?) to loosen, then twist off by hand. All you need to add is a plug cap removal tool, and it's a 5 minute job.

That spark plug socket in the Venture tool kit makes it pretty easy to change plugs. Use the big wrench (I don't remember which one, 22mm?) to loosen, then twist off by hand. All you need to add is a plug cap removal tool, and it's a 5 minute job.

Yeah, no problem getting it out. I've just never heard of an 18mm plug before.

I went to the local stealer and bought a spark plug tool (had to make sure it was long enough). It fit the plug perfectly and had a hexagon shape on the top end. With an inexpensive ratcheting wrench that fits the top end I can change out the plugs without any clearance issues.

Dave

I guess I'm too far out of touch to know that an 18mm plug even existed, but dag nabbit, that's what my NGKs are in the '85. I'm guessing that all of you already knew about these because I'm the usually last to hear about anything. But, 18mm and not 5/8 or 3/4?? WOW, what a hoot!

every nut, bolt screw, washer ,bearing, etc. on these bikes, is JAPANESE/METRIC!

so WHY were you surprised to find a METRIC spark plug?????:icon_smile_question:icon_smile_question:icon_smile_question

lol

just jt:duck:

every nut, bolt screw, washer ,bearing, etc. on these bikes, is JAPANESE/METRIC!

so WHY were you surprised to find a METRIC spark plug?????:icon_smile_question:icon_smile_question:icon_smile_question

lol

just jt:duck:

Out of the 38 bikes I've owned (mostly Japanese) over the past 43 years have had standard size ND or NGK plugs. In fact, most of my cars have been Japanese, same thing.

Guest Thainglo
If you get a deep well socket, it has to be thin-wall or it won't fit down in the well.

I took my standard 18mm deep socket and ground off the first 1" or so with a bench grinder until it slid in and out of the spark plug hole. With a wobble connector and 6" extension, easy to get all the plugs in and out.

Just go to a hardware store or Sears and buy an 18mm socket. They're cheap.

Or anywhere in Canada, EH?

I took my standard 18mm deep socket and ground off the first 1" or so with a bench grinder until it slid in and out of the spark plug hole. With a wobble connector and 6" extension, easy to get all the plugs in and out.

First time I've heard it called a wobble connector, but I suppose that goes hand in hand with the wobbly pop that is also needed to change the plugs properly.

• 3 months later...

I know that this is an older thread, but I have run into an issue with getting my 18mm spark plug socket into the front well:soapbox:. It fit the rear well just fine. I do not have grinder to grind down my socket. If I were to purchase a tool kit, would there be a tool in there accomidate the 18mm spark plug? If not, what would be my best way to go?

Thanks,

Clay

I know that this is an older thread, but I have run into an issue with getting my 18mm spark plug socket into the front well:soapbox:. It fit the rear well just fine. I do not have grinder to grind down my socket. If I were to purchase a tool kit, would there be a tool in there accomidate the 18mm spark plug? If not, what would be my best way to go?

Thanks,

Clay

If you shop Ebay for an RSV tool kit they come with the OEM plug tool, and they don't bring much. It's fine for loosening and tightening the plugs. The plugs will come out by hand or if you have big fingers about 12" of 3/8" rubber hose will fit over the end of the plug and then you can unscrew it by turning the end of the hose.

That is really good idea. never thought to use rubber hose. I found a tool kit for a 650XS, do you know if this is compatable with 83 Venture, 18mm spark plug?

:puzzled:

If the plug tool is hexed on both ends it should work. Some of the tools are only hexed on the plug end. Most all modern bike plugs are 18mm.

Thank you for you input. I do have one more question......Has anyone used an 11/16" scrench in place of 18mm 6 point plug socket? Will it fit? Figured I would ask before I spent the time trying to track one down.

Thanks again,

Clay:usa:

I assume if it is worn a bit as 11/16 is equal to 0.6875" and 18mm is actually 0.709"

Brad