IGNORED

Intake Manifold Boots (Question)

crockettrider

Why does it always seem when you try to get ready for a road trip your motorcycles mechanics become a problem.

I bought a new "to me" Venture a few months back. My brother, son and myself are getting ready for a trip through Arkansas and I decided to bring the Venture in for a good check out a few weeks ago.

All looked fine until the mechanic saw large cracks (not all the way through) on the Intake Manifold Boots. He has dicked around for almost 3 weeks and we are scheduled to leave Saturday.

Of course the parts came in yesterday and were wrong :starz:

We are trying to overnight the new ones in and will have to see what happens.

I got on the phone to call around Houston and see if the parts are available locally (I know it's a long shot) and couldn't find any. But I did find out the price was about $167.16 for the 4 carbs.

He had quoted me $436.00 for the parts that he ordered. They were the wrong ones but I am interested to see what he says on these one.

Of course there could be more parts that I am not aware of?

If he says $436 and I have priced all the parts, then we will part ways in a not so nice manner. I don't want to confront him and find out that I omitted a few parts that justify the cost.

Any input will be helpful.

P.S. Nice site and I apoligize for jumping in with a post like this. :thumbsup2:

1st off, do you need them right now. The reason I say this is that MANY of the Ventures have cracks in the boots, as long as they aren't leaking it's not going to hurt anything. That price is way steep too unless he's doing all the work and that would still be a bit high. I have seen many cracked carb boots, but never 1 that was bad enough to leak. If your really worried about it spray some either or carb cleaner on the boot and see if your rpm's pick up. That will tell you if they are bad. I know some folks have used liquid electric tape and painted it on the boots to ensure there wasn't a problem.

First - Welcome to the family.

Second - The intake carb boots are double walled. If you are not seeing performance problems, you likely don't need to worry about them immediately. Also, there is a plastic spray coating that can be used that will fill in these cracks and extend the life of your current boots. It is available at your local hardware store - will have to advise you the name of the product later - it is in my shop and I don't remember the name.

Someone else may jump on here and let you know.

Again, welcome to the family.

RR

The Intake Vaccume pressure is not all that much.

I had one that Was leaking, I could actually Hear it, running at 65MPH.

I stopped and wrapped it with several layers of 'black tape, Everything just fine until I got it replaced.

Even if yours is leaking, you don't need a set of 4. Just replace the one thats leaking .

Why does it always seem when you try to get ready for a road trip your motorcycles mechanics become a problem.

I bought a new "to me" Venture a few months back. My brother, son and myself are getting ready for a trip through Arkansas and I decided to bring the Venture in for a good check out a few weeks ago.

All looked fine until the mechanic saw large cracks (not all the way through) on the Intake Manifold Boots. He has dicked around for almost 3 weeks and we are scheduled to leave Saturday.

Of course the parts came in yesterday and were wrong :starz:

We are trying to overnight the new ones in and will have to see what happens.

I got on the phone to call around Houston and see if the parts are available locally (I know it's a long shot) and couldn't find any. But I did find out the price was about $167.16 for the 4 carbs.

He had quoted me $436.00 for the parts that he ordered. They were the wrong ones but I am interested to see what he says on these one.

Of course there could be more parts that I am not aware of?

If he says $436 and I have priced all the parts, then we will part ways in a not so nice manner. I don't want to confront him and find out that I omitted a few parts that justify the cost.

Any input will be helpful.

P.S. Nice site and I apoligize for jumping in with a post like this. :thumbsup2:

The manifold boot bodies don't leak, even with the cracks. They're lined with a metal sleeve up the center. You DON'T need to replace them...and you're getting screwed by the wrench. If you want to make the cracks go away spray them with Plasti-Dip. It's available in the paint dept of Home Depot. The 'O' ring seals on the base will dry out over time and are still available...cheap!! To test, spray volatile carb cleaner around the base. The motor R's will increase if they're leaking. You can also find manifolds on ebay for next to nothing. Like I said you're getting taken for a ride.

The manifold boot bodies don't leak, even with the cracks. They're lined with a metal sleeve up the center. You DON'T need to replace them...and you're getting screwed by the wrench. If you want to make the cracks go away spray them with Plasti-Dip. It's available in the paint dept of Home Depot. The 'O' ring seals on the base will dry out over time and are still available...cheap!! To test, spray volatile carb cleaner around the base. The motor R's will increase if they're leaking. You can also find manifolds on ebay for next to nothing. Like I said you're getting taken for a ride.

Yeah - Plasti-Dip - that's the product I was thinking of.

RR

I believe the boots have a center metal "base" in JUST the lower half and THAT'S where most of the cracks show up which means NOTHING to the boot performace, purely cosmetic. The lower half mounts to the engine "firmly" and the upper part has to stretch to accept the carb venturi with clamps.

Now cracks in the upper half needs addressed but that's real rare.

Wow, all I can say is thanks for all your input.

I have been running real busy as of late but really look forward to getting to know more of you folks.

I truly thank you for your input....it is much valued and a relief to boot.

Let me get through this trip and I would love to do a proper introduction. Thanks again:big-grin-emoticon:

hi mark

welcome to the site, hope you have a great and safe trip. you will be hard pressed to find a nicer bunch of folks anywhere. i have a '99 rsv also with the carb boots that have cracks. i have not noticed any performance issuses. as already stated from the other folks don't worry about the cracks. if you live in crocket your not that far away from me, will be glade to help any time.

best reguards

don c.