IGNORED

Gas / Carbs

I recently had my bike towed down from Georgia to Florida. When it arrived the gas was not shut off and it ran terrible. The choke had to be open slightly to even get it running. Tech looked at bike... found battery cables loose but said all carbs needed cleaning and spark plugs replaced. I have 11,000.00 miles on bike... never had this problem before always ran great. Also Yamaha Tech charged $100.00 hr to fix carbs... whats your take on this ? Any suggestions about gas/ carbs ?

I recently had my bike towed down from Georgia to Florida. When it arrived the gas was not shut off and it ran terrible. The choke had to be open slightly to even get it running. Tech looked at bike... found battery cables loose but said all carbs needed cleaning and spark plugs replaced. I have 11,000.00 miles on bike... never had this problem before always ran great. Also Yamaha Tech charged $100.00 hr to fix carbs... whats your take on this ? Any suggestions about gas/ carbs ?

Sounds to me like the carb floats were stuck...Many posts have been on the site about this and appears everyone trys a can of seafoam ($12.00) and can be purchased at any auto dealer.. you pour a can of sea foam into gas tank and fill it up with gas and ride it.. The seafoam cleans everything out..no further cleaning or adjustments are nessisary..

You can also page down to the bottom of this page and read other posts about seafoam..

My bike is an 05 RSV and I never shut the fuel petcock off...it is always left open.

I do "move it" to the off position once in a while to ensure it is still able to move and shut the fuel off if I needed to..

Edited by Eck

Start it up. Shut off the gas. Pull the fuel line from the bottom of the fuel tank and stick it into a can of sea foam. Let it run till it fill the carbs up with seafoam. You can tell cause it will start to smoke and won't want to run. Let it sit over night. Put the fuel line back on and start it up again. May need some or a lot of choke to get it to run. It will smoke like a freight train for a few minutes till all the seafoam is used and the carbs get full of fuel again. This may solve the problem

Start it up. Shut off the gas. Pull the fuel line from the bottom of the fuel tank and stick it into a can of sea foam. Let it run till it fill the carbs up with seafoam. You can tell cause it will start to smoke and won't want to run. Let it sit over night. Put the fuel line back on and start it up again. May need some or a lot of choke to get it to run. It will smoke like a freight train for a few minutes till all the seafoam is used and the carbs get full of fuel again. This may solve the problem

This is the first I've heard of the Sea-Foam enima. Interesting procedure.

You may also want to check the mixture going into the carbs. Vibs from the shipping may have moved the mixture screws. Only try this AFTER the Sea-Foam treatment.

RR

I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with gas. Makes restarting a lot easier.

Guest JGorom

Now that your bike is running again...start using Seafoam on a regular basic. I typically will use it in the Fall...1 can for two tankfuls (8 oz. each application) of gas before I put the bike up for the winter to clean up the carbs...then I use Stabil in the gas over the Winter. In the Spring...I typically will run 3-4 tanks of gas through the bike then another dose of Seafoam for one or two tanks. Then mid Summer...repeat the process to keep carbs clean and gum free. Last year our local retailers increased the price so I just bought a gallon to get the price down to about $6.00/16 oz., which is what I was paying before the increase.

Once again, I recommend using Camp Fuel to bring the price down.

Click HERE to see Seafoam's web site on where to buy it...

an alternative is to use Coleman, or other brand of Camp Fuel at about 50% the concentration that you would use Seafoam as it does not have the alcohol that Seafoam has.

I found this at www.answers.yahoo.com

After reading the MSDS for both products, I would have to agree and have stopped buying Seafom and will use Camp Fuel to clean my fuel system.