Stock rear tires on the RSV are rated at 74H. Theoretically, this is all that is needed as long as you do not overload the bike (exceed the GVW rating). However, it never hurts to have a tire rated at a higher load rating - the only negative that might come from it is a slightly harsher ride. If you overload the bike, you can't do anything to increase frame or bearing strength, but a higher rated tire does reduce the risk there.

The Avon Venom AM42 in 150/90-15 can be purchased in either 80H or 74V. As I have stated before, you should be careful and order the H rated tire for the RSV. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Stock rear tires on the RSV are rated at 74H. Theoretically, this is all that is needed as long as you do not overload the bike (exceed the GVW rating). However, it never hurts to have a tire rated at a higher load rating - the only negative that might come from it is a slightly harsher ride. If you overload the bike, you can't do anything to increase frame or bearing strength, but a higher rated tire does reduce the risk there.

The Avon Venom AM42 in 150/90-15 can be purchased in either 80H or 74V. As I have stated before, you should be careful and order the H rated tire for the RSV. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Actually I do believe you need an 80H rated tire because it seems the GVW rating is unrealistically low.

With stock tires the total load allowed per the owners manual is 419lbs of rider, passenger and everything else that didn't come with the bike. Before I put anything in bags, the wife and I with riding gear on are over 350lbs.

• 11 years later...

This was a very interesting thread. I am beginning to shop for new tires for my 2008 RSVS and having the devils own time finding the sizes. The rear tire is the worst. I don't want to go with OEM. Bridgestone has a bad rep even in the Formula 1 community. Dunlops are not bad tires but I have had seasons with a previous bike where I have gone through multiple sets in a summer. The majority of these posts seem to be from 2008. Are there any more recent tire offerings that people are liking?

I dont recommend a car tire and neither do the makers of the bikes and makers of the car tires but if you consider this then read all the information posted and remember that its at your own risk.

I recommend the Avons. Great tires!!

The Valkyrie Riders Site/VRCC has a very detailed, intense Article on CTs. I think Darkside may be your keyword in a general google search too. Interesting subject for sure.

This is as worthy a piece as any on the pros and cons of perhaps going over to the Darkside: https://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

I 1st saw it posted on the VRCC IMO also an excellent Site, when I rode a Black Beauty 2003 Valkyrie; another worthy steed.

If you're looking at Darksiding, do proper research.

If you're staying with tires designed to work in the application they were MADE for, there are just as many opinions as there are people with typing skills.

Here's one of those opinions... I've been running Avon Cobras for a couple of years. This spring I had a set of Cobra Chromes put on (upgrade from regular Cobra). Old Cobras had close to 12,000 miles....front was wearing a bit odd from neglected steering head bearing attention. Rear had lots of miles left, but replaced both preparing for extended trips. Kept both old ones as "spares".

Cobras held the road in wet or dry, rode well and seemed to wear well if attention is given.

Do the research into the type of riding you do or plan to do, check the load ratings of tires you are considering, check the tire pressures before every ride (you don't know what you ran over in the LAST ride) and buy what makes you feel good.

End of opinion

Cheers...

Papa Fred

Last year I replaced both front and rear donuts on my '08.

I went with the smaller front size - 130/90-16, and stock 150/90-15 in the rear.

Both tires are Michelin Commander II's, and they are EXCELLENT. The slightly narrower front tire completely changed the character of the bike at low speed, with the only penalty being a slightly more noticeable effect from strong gusty crosswinds acting on the fairing. It is not a big difference.

I have about 3000Km on them now, and while the 'chicken strips' are only about 3/4" wide, both tires still have the little casting whiskers on them. I expect these to last a long, long time. Traction in rain is phenomenal. Dry traction is excellent. Road feedback is great, but these tires REFUSE to tramline on running cracks in the road. They go where you point them.

I've never, ever been disappointed in a set of Michelin tires (except for their 10-ply pickup truck tires... those are dangerous garbage). This is the 3rd motorcycle I've shod with Michelins, and 2 cars.

I think if you tried this tire, you'd not be tempted to look at a Dunlop or Metzler again.