IGNORED

what were they thinking?

Hi,

I have been attempting to repair my dash panels. I have lots of cracks and breaks in them and a missing RHS dash air vent. The LHS vent wants to jump ship too but I just caught it in time and put it in my pocket while riding at speed on the highway.

This got me wondering just what Yamaha was thinking when they put these air vents into the dash design? Next to no air comes out and what ever does, is easily swamped by ambient airflow eddying around the windshield & fairing etc. Yet if you are missing a vent it looks like CR4P! The hole for the vents leaves the dash panel very vulnerable to breakage as the thickness of the plastic at the in board corners of the vent hole is VERY thin and flimsy.

I have concluded that they aren't worth the bother and am thinking of blocking both of mine off in an aestheticly acceptable manner.

Have I missed something ? Does anyone see any real benefit from these vents?

Thanks,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

with new ones from yammy. So, they should still be available if you want to go that route.

Ya I have a dealer up here who can get them in a day or two but if there isn't any air coming out, whats the point of those vents and all the duct work? I think I'm going to block them off and be done with it.

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

Those dash vents on my 88 seem to work pretty well as there is an air flow coming out. I just wish they we a/c vents and not just ambient air. You have got be careful when re-installing them. It is very easy to not line up the vent with the air tube that feeds/directs air in from just under the headlight. At least that is what I've experienced. Ugly when missing so what the heck, may as well replace them.

I have been attempting to repair my dash panels. I have lots of cracks and breaks in them and a missing RHS dash air vent. The LHS vent wants to jump ship too but I just caught it in time and put it in my pocket while riding at speed on the highway.

Sorry but I don't have the RHS vent. Never had it and also have an ugly hole. Sorry.

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

I simply removed the entire Vent system. ( after one vent went down the road. )

Pulled out the louvers, and cut a piece aluminum, to fill the space. I use the area to mount Toggle Switchs for added electrical Item. ( Amp meter, and Voltmeter )

I don't miss the vent system in the Least. Also, its eaiser to work on stuff up In behind the headlight assembly.

Same for the PVC heat shields on top of each cylinder bank. Don't miss them either.

I simply removed the entire Vent system. ( after one vent went down the road. )

Pulled out the louvers, and cut a piece aluminum, to fill the space. I use the area to mount Toggle Switchs for added electrical Item. ( Amp meter, and Voltmeter )

I don't miss the vent system in the Least. Also, its eaiser to work on stuff up In behind the headlight assembly.

Same for the PVC heat shields on top of each cylinder bank. Don't miss them either.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

BTW, I have already shelved the PVC shields from one of my cyclinder banks. When the other one gets in my way, I think its coming out too. Its crowded enough in there already without stuff like that.

The inlet for the air that comes out the dash vents is pretty small. Its the one under the head light. You have to crouch down and look close to even see its there. I doubt that the area of the inlet equals the area of the vents so its no wonder the airflow is minimal. (BTW, I already have two blue leds mounted in this vent, one at either end. They're on all the time the ignition is on. I like the effect.)

I think I am going to do as GeorgeS suggests and use that dash real estate for other things besides useless vents. Since removing the duct work also would free up some volume behind the dash, It would be nice to make some pockets to hold crap in as someone here suggested. Likely though, I'm too lazy for that these days & I'd rather just ride. I'll probably just block them off.

Cheers,

Brian H.