IGNORED

Anyone who has the "I-Basket" Technical Service Bulletin?

hannesausmwald

Hi Guys,

first I should introduce myself; my name is Steffen Hanne and I live in Germany near Berlin. My bike is a RSV Model 1999, newly bought in 2001.

A friend of mine has also a Royal Star Venture with the whining clutch basket. I found the thread with the Yamaha Technical Service Bulletin M2002013 and the text posted by Rick Butler (thanks for that).

The problem is, that the Yamaha Dealer and also Yamaha Germany didnt know anything about their own TSB (or didnt want to know :-( ) My question is, if anyone here is able to send me the TSB in the original (PDF-Scan) via PM? That would be great!!

Greetings from Germany

I'm sure some of the guys will get to you with the info. I hope you have good luck with this. I know yamaha sends the I basket out only for this fix in the states. Seems it's only a warranty deal here. If you have any trouble getting them to understand let them know about us. We've made other dealers mad, but we don't care as long as folks get there stuff fixed right.

Margaret

These 2Gen are rare here in Germany, i seriously doubt that any Dealer knows anything about the TSB, I-Basket or anything deeper related to these Bikes than Oil Change, Carb Work and Valve Settings.

I'd say you need to call Yamaha Germany in Neuss and talk to a Service Rep about the Problem. You can provide the TSB Number and he should be able to pull that up in their Computer. You could work something out and name the Dealer who should perform the Job. Don't expect them to be as easy as Star Motorcycles in USA. Especially when the Bike is a '99, which they will call "old" anyway.

A friend of mine has also a Royal Star Venture with the whining clutch basket. I found the thread with the Yamaha Technical Service Bulletin M2002013 and the text posted by Rick Butler (thanks for that).

A month or so ago, I had by '07 RSV into the dealer for Avons (yeah Avons!). While there I asked him about the I Basket. They didn't know anything about the issue and could not find a TSB on their system. I brought them the M2002013 TSB number today. He looked it up and this TSB simply tells the dealer about the possible issue and asks them to take the bike for a test ride and report back on any findings.

Is there a TSB to actually replace the basket and does anyone happen to know that number?

I brought them the M2002013 TSB number today. He looked it up and this TSB simply tells the dealer about the possible issue and asks them to take the bike for a test ride and report back on any findings.

Hello halfwitt,

thank you for your message. I thougt that the text posted by Rick Butler here

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=55625&postcount=43

is the same as in the TSB M200201. If I understand you right, than the text from Rick is different.

Does someone has the original statement from Yamaha with the text Rick posted?

Steffen

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if a Vmax clutch basket will work? I have an 89 vmax, and it's silent, but my 01 RSV has such a loud chirpy whine, I can barely stand it (I have loud pipes on it, and I hear the whine over the pipes!).

Does anyone know if a Vmax clutch basket will work? I have an 89 vmax, and it's silent, but my 01 RSV has such a loud chirpy whine, I can barely stand it (I have loud pipes on it, and I hear the whine over the pipes!).

I don't think there's any guarantee that a vmax basket would get rid of the whine. It's something a person would just have to try and see. Just like the I-basket... it's not a sure-fire cure because it all depends on how the gears of the basket mesh with the primary drive gear.

I'm not 100% sure, but think that the Vmax basket will work. I do know that a basket out of a first gen works with the RSV (got one off ebay just to try). I don't think the Vmax basket is any different....

Hey, the job isn't that big....give it a try and let us all know. You could add to our knowledge base.

Joe

Joe, did the 1st gen basket make any difference in the 2nd gen??? as far as the whine goes?

I'm not 100% sure, but think that the Vmax basket will work. I do know that a basket out of a first gen works with the RSV (got one off ebay just to try). I don't think the Vmax basket is any different....

Hey, the job isn't that big....give it a try and let us all know. You could add to our knowledge base.

Joe

The original installed clutch baskets for the Royal Stars 99 and UP, Vmax and Venture 1983 and up are all the same. There was a part number supsercede around 2000 but not significant, the original part beginning in 83 is 26H-16150-00-00 Primary DrivenGear Comp (clutch basket) the number changes to and is currently 26H-16150-01-00.

I'm not sure what the benefit would be other than minor tolerance differences. A used one might be worn alittle differently and may be quieter or louder.

My warranty paperwork says the basket they installed for the whine fix is 4XY-16150-09-00 (I still have audible whine and Jetsons Chirp)

The early Royal stars 96-97 have different model code inthe part number 4NK-16150-00-00 and not sure what is different about these or if they will interchange.

I had a great post with all the part numbers for the various years and models and a great explanation on how the Yamaha part numbers work, but forum timed out before hitting the submit button and all was lost. Whatever the time limit is that makes you log back in when you hit submit isn't long enough for detailed posts, particularly when looking up cutting and pasting info from another website (inthis case yamaha parts look up). It said hit the back button to reload page but the page was gone. No time to re do it. I know this occurs on most sites and typically I crtl C to copy just in case but didn't this time.:doh:

Anyhow you can look up the various years and see the part numbers at yamaha-motor.com (also at starmotorcycles.com)

RSTDdog