IGNORED

My new ClearView Windshild

Well it took long enough but I have my new tall & wide & vented (and grey) Clearview windshield installed on the bike after waiting a month or so for the delivery.. Mind you, they notified me it was shipped and it showed up within the week here in Nova Scotia.

What can I say about it? Damn thing is HUGE.. wow.. you don't realize how much plastic is going to be in front of you until you sit behind it lol.. there is NO looking over the top of this one if I can't see through it..

Wind: My head is no longer buffetted side to side with wind slaps to the side of the head as before. Since getting this bike, I've had to wear ear covers to protect my ears from the wind buffetting. But now it's all gone. My Radio Audio is turned down by 2 notches as there is less wind. However, I now notice more wind coming up my legs onto my lower face. My impression is that when it rains, my legs will be soaked instead of just my knees. Overall the wind situation is better, smoother and more ejoyable.

Noise: you can hear better for sure, less wind... you can hear your engine and exhaust better.

Visibility: I was quite impressed with the clarity of the plastics used. There is "some" distortion in the peripheral areas but you quickly adapt to those. I haven't tested it in the rain because though it's raining a lot these days, just not while I can go riding. Night time visibility is OK, no noticable difference.

Cleaning: Always spray a lot of water on your plastics before rubbing anything on them to remove any grit.. I used poly polish and Plexus to clean it off, using a new microfibre cloth.. Plexus removes the static charge off the polycarbonates to repell dust and other light schtuffs.. Important to keep several clean cloths to avoid rubbing grit into the new plastics.

I haven't used any RainX on it yet, haven't gone biking in the rain yet.

Installation was a breeze, remember to leave the protective film over the windshield during installation. Two rubber seals fit under the wide wings on the ends.

Over all? Though it's only been a day or two since I've gotten it and haven't yet ridden in the rain.. I find the price is right and thus far it lives up to it's expectations.

More later as I get more ride time with it..

Cheers

Seaking, I just got mine as well. Your right on with your observations though I didn't notice the updraft that you mentioned. I really like the way it looks on the bike as well. Too bad Yamaha didn't just put these on to begin with.

One small little note. The windshield brace is broken on the right side. Seems like everyone's are and mine was like that since new. I noticed that with the windshield being wider that the corners will move a bit. Guess I'll have to figure out a way to fix it.

Seaking, I just got mine as well. Your right on with your observations though I didn't notice the updraft that you mentioned. I really like the way it looks on the bike as well. Too bad Yamaha didn't just put these on to begin with.

One small little note. The windshield brace is broken on the right side. Seems like everyone's are and mine was like that since new. I noticed that with the windshield being wider that the corners will move a bit. Guess I'll have to figure out a way to fix it.

I honestly didn't notice if mine was busted.. oops.. but it doesn't seem to detract from my windshield at all though.. it sits there solid and yeah, looks great too..

I forgot to mention that the test run last night was in high winds and running roughly (cough cough) 140 kph with nil effects.. nothing I could notice anyway..

You won't see it unless you remove the fairing. It's really put together poorly with a little plastic tab that will break right away. I found this out the first time I split the fairing so I'm assuming that it was broken from the factory.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20293

Not a big deal. I just noticed it because it was making a squeaking noise where the little rubber cushion is attached to the corner of the windshield.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/marinerfan/default/Pegs_006--large-msg-121994401826.jpg

BTW, it took me nine weeks to get it. I was getting ticked about the long wait but all is good now. :)

What size did you all buy?

I have the stock on my 07 RSMV but was wanting to "see" over the shield.

I was thinking about purchasing the 17" as it would be shorter but was wondering about the wind buffeting

What do you think?

Mine is the XXL. I could see over the stock windshield and can see fine over this one too. Don't think they make one that is 17". The medium is 19.5". Now they lean back further than the stock ones. My XXL doesn't seem to be any taller than the stock one.

You finally received the windshield.......that is great. I checked the picture in your next post and it looks good.

This means I could get mine before Christmas.

Ride safe

from IndyDog

:cool10:

Glad you got your finally. I love the way mine rides and looks now.

I ordered a "blem" and got it in 6 days. I cant find the blem though. Saved $35. Just one problem. The "film" they protect it with covered the entire window and in the area of the vent I could not get it all to peel off and now I have a small torn piece of this plastic film in there just above the vent. The window tilts back so much I cannot get a finger down in there to get the 1 inch x 1/4 torn piece of plastic out. Can I take the vent out to remove this? How does it come apart?

thanks

jb :doh:

Let us know what happens when it's raining? I'm sick of mine when it rains. It seams that the way the original shield was designed the rain just travels around the sides of the shield and you end up with just as much water coating the back of the shield as you have on the front. I also have water blowing up onto my face. I hope Yamaha does some airflow tests before they come out with the next generation ( if there is to be a NEXT Gen) and resolve this issue. The only way I can keep the rain of my face is to tuck my head into the space between the dash and the shield.

I was talking to a guy who has a new 08 Goldwing and he said the design of the shield on this model is very good. He or his passanger stay dry in the rain as long as he's doing 35 or so. Of course you have to slow down or stop sometime....

I have the XXL, tinted with vent. Love It. Rain moves off alot better. Still will have a little difficulty when its foggy, but it doesn't bother me. Really like the tint. Great in the sun and no ill effects at night and I ride everyday to work in the dark. The vent I probably would not have got If it hadn't been a blem. I can only feel a small amount of air when its open. But I have been hit in the forehead when a bug went throught LOL! Overall I really like mine.

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

I've always been told not to apply Rain X to plastic shields. I've been told it will turn the plastic milky. Is there something new?

Well it took long enough but I have my new tall & wide & vented (and grey) Clearview windshield installed on the bike after waiting a month or so for the delivery.. Mind you, they notified me it was shipped and it showed up within the week here in Nova Scotia.

What can I say about it? Damn thing is HUGE.. wow.. you don't realize how much plastic is going to be in front of you until you sit behind it lol.. there is NO looking over the top of this one if I can't see through it..

Wind: My head is no longer buffetted side to side with wind slaps to the side of the head as before. Since getting this bike, I've had to wear ear covers to protect my ears from the wind buffetting. But now it's all gone. My Radio Audio is turned down by 2 notches as there is less wind. However, I now notice more wind coming up my legs onto my lower face. My impression is that when it rains, my legs will be soaked instead of just my knees. Overall the wind situation is better, smoother and more ejoyable.

Noise: you can hear better for sure, less wind... you can hear your engine and exhaust better.

Visibility: I was quite impressed with the clarity of the plastics used. There is "some" distortion in the peripheral areas but you quickly adapt to those. I haven't tested it in the rain because though it's raining a lot these days, just not while I can go riding. Night time visibility is OK, no noticable difference.

Cleaning: Always spray a lot of water on your plastics before rubbing anything on them to remove any grit.. I used poly polish and Plexus to clean it off, using a new microfibre cloth.. Plexus removes the static charge off the polycarbonates to repell dust and other light schtuffs.. Important to keep several clean cloths to avoid rubbing grit into the new plastics.

I haven't used any RainX on it yet, haven't gone biking in the rain yet.

Installation was a breeze, remember to leave the protective film over the windshield during installation. Two rubber seals fit under the wide wings on the ends.

Over all? Though it's only been a day or two since I've gotten it and haven't yet ridden in the rain.. I find the price is right and thus far it lives up to it's expectations.

More later as I get more ride time with it..

Cheers

I've always been told not to apply Rain X to plastic shields. I've been told it will turn the plastic milky. Is there something new?

That is true.. On OEM windshields, because of the materials used, RainX and Pledge may and can turn your windshild milky and haze it up over time.

The good thing about the Clearviews is that it's made out of materials that will accept amonia and petroleum based products, these are the ingredients that can cause the haziness.. ; )

I WENT WITH THE XXL TINTED ALSO AND FOR THE MOST PART I LIKE IT MUCH LESS WIND OVERALL MOST NOTICEABLE ON MY ARMS AND SHOULDERS MY PASSANGER WHO IS 6'1" DIDNT NOTICE MUCH DIFFERANCE BUT AGAIN SHE DIDNT RIDE MUCH WITH THE STOCK ONE BEFORE I CHANGED IT. THE ONE ISSUE I HAVE IS ALLOT OF REFLECTION ON THE INSIDE FROM THE DASH AND GAS CAP AND CHROME COVER IVE TIED A DUE RAG TO THE COVER AND CAP AND IT HELPED ALLOT I NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH THE STOCK SHIELD SO IT MUST BE BECAUSE OF THE TINTING I GUESS:Venture:

I WENT WITH THE XXL TINTED ALSO AND FOR THE MOST PART I LIKE IT MUCH LESS WIND OVERALL MOST NOTICEABLE ON MY ARMS AND SHOULDERS MY PASSANGER WHO IS 6'1" DIDNT NOTICE MUCH DIFFERANCE BUT AGAIN SHE DIDNT RIDE MUCH WITH THE STOCK ONE BEFORE I CHANGED IT. THE ONE ISSUE I HAVE IS ALLOT OF REFLECTION ON THE INSIDE FROM THE DASH AND GAS CAP AND CHROME COVER IVE TIED A DUE RAG TO THE COVER AND CAP AND IT HELPED ALLOT I NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH THE STOCK SHIELD SO IT MUST BE BECAUSE OF THE TINTING I GUESS

Funny I have a lot less reflection issues with the XXL than I did with the stock. I also have a leather gas cap cover that fits over the chrome gas cap like a sock. Looks neat..

That is true.. On OEM windshields, because of the materials used, RainX and Pledge may and can turn your windshild milky and haze it up over time.

The good thing about the Clearviews is that it's made out of materials that will accept amonia and petroleum based products, these are the ingredients that can cause the haziness.. ; )

But, even though Clearview says you can use Rain-X, they do not recommend it. I do use pledge wipes, but I used those on my stock shield without any problems also.

Later this evening, I will be installing a new shield on my bike. I will test it for a while and then report back on my likes and dislikes. I will post a separate message later. I will say for now that I've been running a Clearview shield for about 9 years now and have been happy with it. This new one that I'm trying has been very popular with the Goldwing riders but they have just come out with a shield for the RSV. It is NOT cheap but the owner of the company has asked me to test one for him and then report honestly to the members here. That is what I will do. One thing that IS a plus is that all the bottom fastening points are holes, not slots.

But, even though Clearview says you can use Rain-X, they do not recommend it. I do use pledge wipes, but I used those on my stock shield without any problems also.

We must have been on the "other" site when we read this:

• Can be Polished, Buffed, and is Safe to use Rain-X Original Clear Formula • Can be Polished, Buffed, and is Safe to use Rain-X Original Clear Formula

That would lead to a lot of issues should a company state it is safe to use it in public then later on in the aisles tell people it's not recommended.. Very strange?

Later this evening, I will be installing a new shield on my bike. I will test it for a while and then report back on my likes and dislikes. I will post a separate message later. I will say for now that I've been running a Clearview shield for about 9 years now and have been happy with it. This new one that I'm trying has been very popular with the Goldwing riders but they have just come out with a shield for the RSV. It is NOT cheap but the owner of the company has asked me to test one for him and then report honestly to the members here. That is what I will do. One thing that IS a plus is that all the bottom fastening points are holes, not slots.

Which one are you installing? I couldn't find info in your previous posts.. ?

They are made by F4Customs. The site is http://www.f4customs.com They just now started making them for the RSV but have made the for the Wing and Harley's for some time now and they get great reviews. No vent at this time but I would not have gotten the vent anyway. I now have the wing vent and the round vents in my Clearview shield and the problem with the Wing vent is keeping it clean. I will put the round vents only in this one.

They are made by F4Customs. The site is http://www.f4customs.com They just now started making them for the RSV but have made the for the Wing and Harley's for some time now and they get great reviews. No vent at this time but I would not have gotten the vent anyway. I now have the wing vent and the round vents in my Clearview shield and the problem with the Wing vent is keeping it clean. I will put the round vents only in this one.

I saw that earlier.. very expensive to say the very least but looks promising.. (over twice the cost of the clearview..)

Looking forward to your feedback..

I'm heading off on my month long road trip wednesday morning.. Missing a lot of fall riding weather.. Oh well, the model swimsuits photosets will have to suffice ; )

Well, I don't see any prices for the RSV on their website yet. I think though that they will be close, maybe a bit higher, than the Clearview shields. Too early to say if the extra is justified.

He did show me a very good demonstration though. He has a couple of shields that are half normal Lexan as a stock shield would be and the other half is made with his material. He has a windshield wiper on it and the wiper is wrapped with steel wool. He has run the wiper for approximately 100 hours. Needless to say the stock material is scratched to the point that you can't hardly see through it but his still looks new. We'll see.

We must have been on the "other" site when we read this:

• Can be Polished, Buffed, and is Safe to use Rain-X Original Clear Formula • Can be Polished, Buffed, and is Safe to use Rain-X Original Clear Formula

That would lead to a lot of issues should a company state it is safe to use it in public then later on in the aisles tell people it's not recommended.. Very strange?

I did not mean to say they said it was not recommended. I meant to indicate they recommend Plexus over Rain-X but say Rain-X is fine.

I got my clearview in the middle of August and when I installed it I noticed the center vent was crooked. I sent an email off to Craig at Clearview and he suggested I send pics just to show what it looked like. its taken me some time to get my stuff back together after vacation but i finally sent the pics down to Clearview and got notice today from Craig that they will replace my windshield and pay all shipping costs both ways. I think that is good service if it all goes as plannned. I will send mine away tomorrow.

Here are a couple of pics

Brian