IGNORED

Poor Gas mileage

I have a 1989 Venture Royal and I don't seem to be getting very good mileage. I go about 100-120 miles before reserve light comes on. Fill up and it takes about 3.7 to 4 us gal, which works out to about 30 miles per gal. Bike has 63000 miles and runs very good, I have not run it hard, average speed 60-65 on highway. I am going to run seafoam through and check the plugs. Are there any other problems that could be causing the poor mieage ? Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Falconbm :fingers-crossed-emo

I have a 1989 Venture Royal and I don't seem to be getting very good mileage. I go about 100-120 miles before reserve light comes on. Fill up and it takes about 3.7 to 4 us gal, which works out to about 30 miles per gal. Bike has 63000 miles and runs very good, I have not run it hard, average speed 60-65 on highway. I am going to run seafoam through and check the plugs. Are there any other problems that could be causing the poor mieage ? Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Falconbm :fingers-crossed-emo

I have an 83 and I get the same mileage as you. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I ride it hard or normal. I've had it for 10 years and have done about everything I can think of to get better mileage but to no avail.

Dick

If most of your riding is around town and short jaunts using higher gears, you'll find you are barely using the throttle... this puts the burden on the idle circuit. The gas jet inside the jet block is a 37.5 and VERY prone to clogging and partial, requiring more throttle to compensate. This is also a bit true for the idle mixture jet below the carb diaphragm cover.

Now before anybody runs out and starts diddling... please take my notice... if she's running good and you haven't dinked with anything, you are normally ahead to leave her alone...!!!

Now... to compare mileage rates... please add your "typical runs", have the carbs been synced recently, are the plugs changed regular, are you insuring that the oil level is never over half way up the sight glass, tires inflated properly...??? And the real important telltale... what do the plugs look like when you pull them?

I have not yet checked these things. The fellow I bought the bike from had just completed an oil change, carbs probably not sync'ed for a while. I will check the plugs tomorrow. Riding has been one trip of 350 mi and shorter rides of 35-50 mi, with only a small ammount of in town riding.

I have a 1989 Venture Royal and I don't seem to be getting very good mileage. I go about 100-120 miles before reserve light comes on. Fill up and it takes about 3.7 to 4 us gal, which works out to about 30 miles per gal. Bike has 63000 miles and runs very good, I have not run it hard, average speed 60-65 on highway. I am going to run seafoam through and check the plugs. Are there any other problems that could be causing the poor mieage ? Any suggestions will be most welcome

After you've checked plugs, air filter etc I'd check the carb diaphrams..