IGNORED

Wisconsin /Lake Michigan

Iowawegian

Talked the hubby into taking off Thur-Sun to go over to Lake Michigan this week. Don't really have a plan. We plan on camping as it's so reasonable to camp in Wisconsin.

Because of one drama after another, we haven't had much riding time and it will do us both to get away for a couple of days.

Anyone know of any special roads to ride, places to stop? Any nice campground by the lake?

Thanks

We spent a week in Door County a couple of years ago. Had a great time...but (you know the old saying...When in Rome...) well, we decided we had to do a fish boil. I gotta tell you.....I'm not a fussy eater...but that was beyond my palette. It was fun to watch but the taste.....I can't even describe it. I get the heeby jeebies everytime I hear the word fish boil.

Thank goodness for ice cold beer because it took a lot of it to wash down the taste!

Door County is a must ride. Try to stop and eat at the place with the goats on the roof, I'm sorry but I forgot the name of the place. Also try to get off the main roads there, lots of great riding. Have a great time.:080402gudl_prv:

Being from Wisconsin, I avoid Door county like the plague. As far as I'm concerned it's for tourists. Tha'ts not to say that it's not beautiful, just too many people.

Great riding in the Kettle Moraine and along the Lake Michigan shore, especially from Sheboygan north on LS. Plus some good camping.

If you come through my neck of the woods, stop in and say hi. camping around here too.

I'm on the way to LM.

If you go online or to a gps and pick the shortest route from you to me, you will find some geat roads. (not fastest)

Just remembered, I'll be gone (over to Lake Michigan) till Sun.

Steve

The name of tee restraunt in Door county with the goats on the roof is Al Johnson's.

Great camping in Peninsula State park. Other state parks around there also.

Come over to Devils lake state park by me. Maybe get a chance to show you around, and you can ride the Merrimac Ferry. One of the last free ferries in the country. Goes across Lake Wisconsin. By merrimac, WI

My ph is in my profile and you can pm me for more information.

We spent a week in Door County a couple of years ago. Had a great time...but (you know the old saying...When in Rome...) well, we decided we had to do a fish boil. I gotta tell you.....I'm not a fussy eater...but that was beyond my palette. It was fun to watch but the taste.....I can't even describe it. I get the heeby jeebies everytime I hear the word fish boil.

Thank goodness for ice cold beer because it took a lot of it to wash down the taste!

Yeah, I agree. You notice I didn't say to eat the fish! It's just cool to watch it. :rotfl:

When are you passing through? We're out and about this coming weekend, but if you're coming through the GB area during the week, we'd be happy to let you camp in our backyard and give you bathroom and shower access...for free.

A little Venturer...and VentureRider....hospitality.

Curt & Cathy

You are also welcome to stop in Fond du Lac if you are in the area. We have plenty of places to camp - aw, heck, we'd probably even let you come in the house to sleep in a bed.

Also, if you have any trouble, have a shop with tools.

Let me know. Phone number is in my profile.

RR

Just went thru some of that area, would say you need to find the House on The Rock near Dodgeville. Not that far from you. Just stay on the back roads, lots of nice riding. Also a nice little stop, Spillville Ia. Bily clock museum, all hand carved by two brothers.

:322:

FDR....spent all night riding my bike trying to figure out GB! Thanks for clearing that one up!!

Also, thanks for all the reply's. I'm bringing along the posts with names and numbers and if we happen to be in anyone's area...we'll give you a jingle. Thanks for the offers!!:bighug:

20 years in the Air Force (AF)...everything has an acronym :)

We'll be over in your state here in a couple of weeks for the Davis Rally. If you're there, stop by the area of campers by the pool...you'll see a banner (for my other group)...friendly people, lot's of Ventures. Ask for Curt!

We're getting in on Thursday,...doing the Sunset Ride Friday night, Bike'n for Bucks Saturday, and the parade Saturday night.

Oh, speaking of Door County. We're some of the Wisconsinites who actually like going up to Door County...but we like to stay on the east side in Baileys Harbor and then ride over the west side when we feel like it. The east side is more laid back and quiet...make sure you take the lake road up on the east side from Sturgeon Bay. If you're looking for a great motorcycle friendly campground, check out Baileys Grove Campground...great campground, great people!

Curt

If your planning to stay in the Devil's Lake area then I know a few places.

Circus World Museum

http://circusworld.wisconsinhistory.org/

We've been there. It was the winter home of Ringling Bros. Circus

House on the Rock

http://www.thehouseontherock.com/

This is a must see if you have never seen it, and even then it make take several trips to see it all.

Cave of the Mounds

http://caveofthemounds.com/

We like caves, so when ever we see one we go spelunking.

Brewery Creek B&B

http://www.brewerycreek.com/

We've stayed here. It's a great place to recover from all the riding with whirlpools in every room and GREAT on-site brewed beer.

Frank Lloyd Wright House

http://www.wrightinwisconsin.org/

Otherwise, along Lake Michigan there is Manitowoc, WI. This is where the SS Badger car ferry takes off to cross to Ludington, MI. Its a nice boat ride across the lake and back. To go round trip it's a two day deal.

http://www.ssbadger.com/newhome.aspx

Also, there is a WWII Submarine floating in the river behind the Maritime Museum. They give guided tours. This is the type of sub that used to be built in Manitowoc during WWII. It's great history and you get to go on a real floating submarine.

http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/

:usa::biker::checkeredflag:

Edited by juggler

I'm outta here in about an hour!!!!!!!! Leaving midmorning for wherever the wind blows us. Orrin, FJR Rider, and Red Rider....wrote down your info and if we are in your neck of the woods we'll give you a jingle just to say hi and shoot the breeze for a bit. VRooom VRooom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool10: