IGNORED

Rear Shocks goin bad.

Well, Mine finally went after 30k miles on my 05.Its got oil all over the boot and the lower mount.I wonder how many here have had the shock replaced at least once, and how many have had it replace more than once.

If you have had to replace your rear shock post a quik reply so maybe we can get a count.

Just added some pics of what to look for for those that have not had this problem yet

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 99. Mine has been done twice under warranty. Both of these were the new style unless they have updated again. One in Nov 04 and the last one in Dec of 05. If it goes bad again I will not use Yamaha just because of the failure rate. I know someone else makes one just not sure who it is right now. I think a few dollars more but it's got to last longer.

:-)

Spotsy

It seems to be a problem on a lot of the RSV's. I still have the original shock, still holding oil, still holds air, adjusts just fine and functions right at 163K and 15 years. What's the difference between the VR shock and the RSV shock? I thought they were basically the same? Maybe you should find an old VR shock and install that. Might last you another 10 years or so.

Read the write up in the tech section where a shock is disected. I just had mine replaced under warranty to a new number. It seems that they have changed o a shock that fits a couple different models Now. If I had to pay for one right now (Is it out of warranty) I would buy the works performance shock without delay. It is about the same price and is fully rebuildable. I only used the Yammy because it was free this time.

Well, Mine finally went after 30k miles on 05.Its got oil all over the boot and the lower mount.I wonder how many here have had the shock replaced at least once, and how many have had it replace more than once.

If you have had to replace your rear shock post a quik reply so maybe we can get a count.

Just added some pics of what to look for for those that have not had this problem yet

I never replaced the shock on my 83 Venture, and it had 106k on it. But here we go again! I'm always a pain in the butt, because I always see the negative, and let everybody know about it. Well its this way, we all know they don't make anything as good as they use to, because they don't make any money that way. But here is another fact, I always ran a high pressure in my rear shock, and never had any problem. On my 99, I ran high pressure also, and I've never had to replace the rear shock of which has 75k on it. So here's the punch line; on my last trip, I decided to take out around 20 lbs. to see if the ride was better, and wala, there was oil under my bike the other day, of which was coming from the rear shock. To me, it seems if you run high pressure, it's less harder on the shock, because you don't bottom out. Yes, the ride is a little stiffer, but it saves the shock. With less pressure, I hit a bad bump the other day, and now I have a leak. This is just like the tire thing that's been brought up several times. I use to get 20k and better on both tires. Now, nobody seems to get any more than 9k, so here again, they make more money now, because we have to buy tires more often. I guess when I replace my shock, I'll go back to running the higher pressure, who knows????:confused24:

Gentlemen the problem is with the New Generation RSV...I just had mine replaced ...I had oil on the garage floor ....myself if it happens again I'll order the Works Performance Shock ....from what I'm reading the new style isn't holding up much better then the old style shock ...Myself I think a rebuildable shock will be much better ....just my opion tho!!!

BuddyRich,

You just had to go and mention this didnt you??? :)

Mine was doing fine until I read your post .. :rotf: :rotf:

After reading your post / thread on the rear shock leaking, and you wanted to know how many has had the problem..I went out and looked at mine, and low and behold...mine is leaking too...

Now mine is not as bad as yours (by the pictures you posted), but Im sure with in another week or two it will be.

It looks like mine just started to leak...

I will be calling the dfealer to morrwo for the warenty replacement.

Is there a special part number they use to replace the defective ones with??

:225: I have a 2001. Replaced the 1st shock with less than 1500 km's. Bike was so new to me, I believe it was actually leaking when I got it home!!!

Put second shock on at around 21000 km's, and 3rd one at 41,500. Only got to ride approx 6500 km's this year, so, haven't changed it yet.

It urks the hell out of me that Yamaha, with all there experience, can't get it right. But, my dealer and I agree on this one: as long as I own this bike, Yamaha can pay for the shock and install unless they finally come up with a fix.

I fully expect to replace the shock again next season. Calling for flurries here for the next couple days.:95:

my shock on my 05 really groans when cold at started all of a sudden at 12,000 miles.i shot oil in the air tube (about one ounce),and it did'nt help much.i think it's the seal making all the noise.i was thinking about mixing something really slick like stp with light oil and see if that would cure it.it doesn't leak yet but from the sound of the seal it won't be long before it gets ate up.i'll let you all know if it works.bill :)

i lost the oil in my shock but it still held air until recently, so today i went to a dealer and checked the price of a new one and was quoted $500.00 for a new one. next i checked with the service manager and had him check my vin# seeing i'm the second owner and i was 3 mos. out of warranty.

i then called yamaha warranty and spoke to them i found out that there was NO recall on the shock but they did change venders (upgrade) not admiting that they ever had a problem. but to make a long story short they covered it but they said i had to pay a dealer to change it. thank god my kids know the service manager so i cut a deal with him and i'll remove the old one and drop it off and it will take 2 or 3 days for a replacement.

one thing that i believed helped with yamaha is the fact that i let them know that i belong to this club i really think it helped.:cool10: :cool10: