IGNORED

Heel - Toe shifter has to go!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen one on the market, but I have not been looking as I love the heel & toe shifter.

Why not just cut the back half off with a hack saw or abrasive wheel (while using proper personal protective equipment) and get it re-chromed?

A single shifter is a yamaha accessorie you can purchase for the RSV/RSTD. Try yamahasportcenter in Seattle or Texas....they are the cheapest (usually) for yamaha stuff.

Here's a link.

http://www.yamahasportscenter.com/eshopprod_cat_3790-6666-4199_product_459222.BILLET_SINGLE_ARM_SHIFT_LEVERS.htm

Edited by sarges46

I cut mine off and painted the steel with a bit of clear paint. It's been holding well for two years now and you don't see it unless you look right at it. I agree. I never had a bike before that had one, couldn't get used to it, after a while didn't even try to use it anymore, and it was nothing but in my way. I have a lot more left foot room with the thing gone.

I cut mine off and painted the steel with a bit of clear paint. It's been holding well for two years now and you don't see it unless you look right at it.

I was thinking of whackin' it off but did not want to have it rust. Also did not want to send it off to be chromed. Clear coat... great idea!

Guest Saddletramp

I use the heel and toe but thats just my preference. Like Sarges 46 said there is one available in the Yamaha accessories for both the RSV and RSTD.

Owen,

I'm with you in that the heel portion of the shifter just gets in my way when I slide my left foot back on the boards. I don't know how many times I inadvertently I shifted the bike into neutral when I slide my food back on the boards. Yamaha offers a billet toe shifter in a ball or smooth milled finish depending on other billet accessories you already have installed. You can check it out on the Yamaha site:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/4/83/404/all/2/67/0/detail.aspx

Flatout Cycles is usually one of the lower priced dealers for mail order Yamaha accessories and has them for $96 where they list for $118.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Owen,

. . . I don't know how many times I inadvertently I shifted the bike into neutral when I slide my food back on the boards . . .

Rick

Same here--never had a heel shifter before the RSV. It actually caused a couple dumps early on when I inadvertently kicked is out of gear. Got used to it, however, and now wouldn't trade it for anything. (Got used to it by putting nothing but the ball of my foot (size 13) on the floorboard until I was well under way and into 2nd gear. No accidental chifts since. Oh, and I don't have a scuffed up left toe on my boot--VERY important if you want to look cool.:stickpoke:)

• 1 year later...

I'm betting most the guys that don't like the heal/toe shifter wear size 10 or larger shoe!!!!

It took me about a month to get use to it, now I hardly even think about it, but I wear an 8 1/2 shoe, and have a fair amount of room to move my foot around.

I have tried and tried to shift with my heel, but it feels very awkward. I cannot do it. I'd like to get rid of mine too, but not $100 worth.

None of the Star vehicles I have had with heel - toe shifters felt 'right' using the heel portion.. so I have them machined off so that it leaves me with just the toe part..

On the Venture, I find the heel part impeding comfortable foot placement on the floorboard for some reason.. so this winter I'm lopping it off..

Cmon everyone!!! Don't ruin yours, Let's trade... We can both overnight it. THen you'll have a nice chrome shifter for your RSV for just the cost of overnighting (or priority if you're patient!) your nasty toe-heel lever!!:fingers-crossed-emo

Show the new guy some love! I really want a H/T shifter:bighug:

i like my heel toe shifter. i have a size 8 foot & fits just fine in between. i like the heel shifting, cause when i ride to work, i can heel shift with my dress shoes and not worry about the toe shift mark. my smaller frame seems to blend with all the features of the RSV. the only problem is when i try to stop while the front wheel is still turned. some extra long legs would help. don't ask how i know this.

dale in La