IGNORED

Almost saw a BAD bike wreck

Jethroish

To all our non-USA members (maybe non-North American members), PLEASE learn our driving rules before you come here to tour on your bikes. Solid yellow line means do not pass. Dashed yellow line (on 2 lane road) means you can pass if there is NO oncoming traffic.

While on hwy 20 today in Middlebury, IN, we saw 3 bikes with European plates. Five people total. They had been parked in town looking at a map. We watched as these 3 bikes weaved in and out, passing cars and trucks, in both passing and no passing zones. Cars, trucks and even a motorhome was off the shoulder, almost in the ditch to avoid hitting these bikes.

I'm just glad I did not have to witness a crash.

FYI - In Maine it is legal to pass with a double yellow solid and may be legal in other States as well... BUT you can be cited for unsafe passing in some situations and places where there are "No Passing" white signs it is illegal... I think this is in place because of slow moving trucks, farm equipment, RVs, etc. ... Yellow lines are treated like orange sign speed limits, just suggestions.

Sounds like folks here just don't understand European Bikers Rideing habits !!

:whistling:

That's what i thought also :rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

I also ride aggressive most of the Time, but seldom with my Wife on the rear Seat. Agressive would mean way over the posted Speed Limit and overtake where a Gap is, considering the Road Conditions, Intersection upcoming, Line of Sight and such Things, disregarding what some People think it is safe to run and plant Signs on the Shoulders of the Road.

With someone sitting 2nd Chair, i usually go leisurely, slightly above the Limits and no crazy Manuveurs. Well, maybe 90 Percent of the total riding Time, that is :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Almost seeing a bad wreck is much better than seeing one!

Solid yellow line depends on the state you are in. For instance, in Oregon (where I did my police career) the solid yellow line is a suggestion. The Motor vehicles code book covers the situation by actual footage before a curve or crest of a hill. But even those distances are out of date for the vehicles of today and their higher speeds of travel. It takes longer and more distance to pass a car traveling at 65 mph than it did in early automobile history of 35 or 45 mph.:backinmyday:

Just got back from 3 weeks in England. What you saw is "normal" driving over there. We rented a Volvo ( there were 5 of us). You would not believe the way they drive. I figure they all start the day with a dozen amphetamines washed down with a gallon of coffee then hit the road. Lunch is another dozen amphetamines with a pint of Gin. Picture yourself going down a narrow, winding 2 lane road at 50 MPH (10 under the speed limit) with your left hand mirror ticking the rock wall and your right hand mirror about 5 in. from the oncoming traffic while some idiots are trying to pass you. Just then, without warning it becomes a single lane with 2 way traffic. Sure keeps you on your toes. I really loved rounding a corner at 50 and seeing two rock walls with a sign saying "not suitable for vehicles over 6'6" in width". Think fast, How wide is this damn car?

Their freeways are great. 3 lanes usually with trucks limited to 60 in the right hand lane, cars doing 80 in the middle lane which leaves the right hand lane free for those doing 100 and above.

Aggressive driving is one thing. But when most people are not accustom to this style of driving, they start dodging for the ditches. Nothing like seeing a 32 foot class A motorhome off the side of the road because someone is opposite direction in their lane.

I spent 11 years in Germany. In Europe, people give bikers the right of way. Amazing isn't it !!! I have been in stopped traffic and people in cars waved me to WHITE LINE it. I just nooded no. That is common over there. It is a great place to ride, and if you ever get the chance, do it. Bikers have the right of way over ther. IT'S GREAT:clap2: