IGNORED

How far is the trunk supposed to open?

I have a 2002 and the trunk only opens wide enough to squeeze the helmet in. I checked the bar on the left hand side to see if it was bent but it is traveling all the way to the end. Is this normal for the trunks or can I do something to make it open more?

You are not the first to ask this question. Here are a couple of pic's I took awhile ago when someone else asked. I think that assembly can get bent under the plastic cover. I know one time I forced mine open so it would open wider after the dealer forced the lid closed.

Keith

How the trunk works:

It should open all the way, as in the first pic. Then you lower it until it stops, like in the second pic. Then you raise it all the way again, as in the first pic. After that you can close it. In fact, it'll fall shut if you're not careful. If you don't do it that way you'll mess up the hinge latch thingie. (Don't ask.)

Mine has done the same thing. I simply opened it up and with steady and smooth force, forced it open all the way. It straightened it out and I've never had another problem.
That's exactly how I "fixed" the one on my '05. Right after I... well, you know. Choice expletives deleted and all that.

My '07 had both of the little bolts work out. At that point the trunk lid did not fully open. When I found the two bolts and hooked up the bracket again and VOILA...it now opens fully. I think the bracket can be put on two different ways...obviously the way that allows it to fully open is the preferred way.

Hope this makes sense.

My '07 had both of the little bolts work out. At that point the trunk lid did not fully open. When I found the two bolts and hooked up the bracket again and VOILA...it now opens fully. I think the bracket can be put on two different ways...obviously the way that allows it to fully open is the preferred way.

Hope this makes sense.

Come to think of it one of the bolts worked out on my '05, which is what lead me to screw it up in the first place. After which I bent it back and put the screw back in. Worked ok after that.

Come to think of it one of the bolts worked out on my '05, which is what lead me to screw it up in the first place. After which I bent it back and put the screw back in. Worked ok after that.

Steve,

When we meet up on Friday I want you to look at the trunk lid bracket on my bike. I already have the cover off. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Steve,

When we meet up on Friday I want you to look at the trunk lid bracket on my bike. I already have the cover off. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Glad to. If I remember right it was pretty obvious. Seems like there were only two bolt holes anyway. One bolt through the plastic and bracket to the support. The other through the bracket to the support. The inside one is the one that was loose, then fell out and jammed it. Naturally it happened on the road. Rock meet hard place. Had to close it to get home. (As it all comes rushing back.)

One of the guys on another Venture site, which will remain nameless ;), replaced his with really short hatchback pistons. I was planning to do the same thing but it seemed like it took up too much valuable trunk space. Never got around to fabbing up the brackets and the project fell by the wayside. While I was messing with it I learned it'd work ok without it, as ruffrider pointed out. In the end I put it back and just ham handed it back into shape. It worked fine, but I can't say I really trusted it after that. Didn't really matter much. It got totalled out a few weeks later. Sigh.

I've been much more careful with this one. Hmmm. Think I'll check those bolts tomorrow...

I think that at least 50% of these bikes are sold with that trunk bracket already bent from people on the showroom floor trying to force the trunk closed. The part that is bent cannot really be seen - it is flat against the front of the trunk behind the nylon cover.

The fix is exactly like Don described - slowly and smoothly push the trunk lid up until it is straight up and will stay open without any help. That's all there is to it. Now you can either open the trunk and leave it fully forward from it's own weight, or pull it back down a bit to sit against the support rod. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Mine has done the same thing. I simply opened it up and with steady and smooth force, forced it open all the way. It straightened it out and I've never had another problem.

Ok I tried this and it worked! I've been suffering with the lid that wouldn't open all the way since the day I bought the bike. Now the lid opens up nicely. :thumbsup2:

Thanks for all the tips. I had time this morning to take a good look at it. The arm is not bent and goes full travel but the trunk opens just a little past half way. I unhooked the arm and it opens fully now. TFor whatever reason the arm is just to short.:think:

Thanks for all the tips. I had time this morning to take a good look at it. The arm is not bent and goes full travel but the trunk opens just a little past half way. I unhooked the arm and it opens fully now. TFor whatever reason the arm is just to short.:think:

No, the arm is not too short. Go back and read my first post. The part that is bent is behind the nylon cover, so you cannot see it. If you just hook the arm back up and gently force the lid slowly open until it is straight up, all will be fixed. The metal is real soft, so slow and steady pressure will move the corner of the bracket back against the trunk wall.

Goose