IGNORED

Tell The Truth- Do You Always Wear A Helmet?

Yama Mama

Do you always wear a helmet?  

782 members have voted

1. 1. Do you always wear a helmet?

• I always wear a helmet when I ride.
    • I wear my helmet sometimes.
    • I refuse to wear a helmet.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yama Mama I wear a half helmet almost 100% of the time these days. Until about 2 yrs ago I never wore a helmet unless riding in heavy rain or extremely cold weather. I alway figured that if I was going to wear a helmet I might as well sell my bike and get a convertible. I still feel that way about full helmets. They have too many blind sides and I can't hear affectively. That being said , I started wearing my half helmet about 2 yrs ago. I figured with all the yrs. of riding that my number was going to come up eventually for a crash. I also have friends, acquaintances and people that I have heard of that were saved by wearing a helmet. That being said I almost got my wife and I killed wearing my 3/4 helmet a couple of yrs. ago in S Carolina. We were pulling out of a scenic waterfall pull out in the middle of a short s curve and a car came around the blind curve traveling @ a high rate of speed and grazed my cruising pegs knocking the left peg out of position. I didn't hear them coming due to the helmet or see them until they were right beside me. I really think that w/out a helmet I would have at least heard them coming or seen them before they were right on me. I can hear very well w\ my half helmet and no blind spots and no false sense of security that comes with 3/4 or full helmets. I guess I've struck middle ground for me between no helmet and wearing one. If you ask me what time it is Ill tell you how to build a watch!:7_2_104[1]:

Count me in the 100 percenters. After switching to full face helmets years ago I tried riding with an open face helmet once. I spent so much time trying to dodge the tiny stones and bugs flyin toward my face that I was a wreck by time I got home. ( Bike I was on didn't have a windshield). Besides, I'm riding a 1st gen. now . You need a full face helmet on a sport bike!:big-grin-emoticon:

Not only do I always wear a helmet, I always wear a full face helmet. Even when just going a mile down to the store and back.. And while on that mile and back I might not wear my armored gloves and armored jacket, I usually wear them too, no matter how hot it is.

100% of the time. I will not ride without a full helmet. In addition, I will not ride without full safety gear, meaning at least leather shoes/boots, leather chaps or other riding pants, leather gloves and riding jacket (leather or mesh with armor). Nor will I allow someone on my bike without the same level of gear. If I could schedule the next accident, I might consider riding without the gear, but I am neither that psychic nor that stupid. But still, this is a personal choice, and no one should be forced into wearing any protective gear EXCEPT passengers and minors (minors are too ignorant of the consequences of their decisions, and it is too easy to coerce a passenger into doing something they otherwise would not).

Goose

Indiana does not require helmet use. I strongly support the rider's right to choose.

Before September 18, 2005 I would have had to say that I wore my helmet when I felt like it. Very often I did not feel like it. It was more of a shared communications tool than protective gear.

Then Armando ran me down like a dog in the street in Mexico City. The helmet was in the trunk. In the emergency room a voice said:

Were you wearing a helmet?

Did I hit my head?

Were you wearing a helmet?

Did I hit my head?

No. Were you wearing a helmet?

No, it was safely stored in the trunk.

Though I didn't tell her at the time (I pretty much passed out about then.) I did take the point. I've worn my helmet while riding ever since. I'm planning on buying a modular soon to replace the 3/4. I also wear kevlar lined jeans and a kevlar shirt, steel toe lace up boots, safety glasses without side shields, and leather gloves. Every time. I don't wear that ugly yellow shirt as a fashion statement.

ATGATT. You'll never know when you need it.

I always wear 1/2 helmut around town and full face on highway trips.

We always vacation in St. Pete's area, and this year we rented a Harley.

I did ride a bit on Gulf Blvd. without for a while, loved it actually.

However, it was just a half hour treat.

PS,

Did not like the Harley at all, it was HOT, LOUD and drove like a TANK.

Sorry Harley owners (just an opinion).

Cheers,

Newfie Bill

Paradise, NL

99 RSV