User Tag List

Poll: Do you always wear a helmet?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Tell The Truth- Do You Always Wear A Helmet?

United States
    UT
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tell The Truth- Do You Always Wear A Helmet?

I wear mine 99.5% of the time. Have for 50+ years. But if I don't want to I don't.

2. Thanks Yama Mama gave thanks for this post
    United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just checking on the sight, and was surprised when I discovered this poll is still active. Moped and I always wear our helmets. In fact, we are on our second sets with this 99 RSV. In the olden days when we rode our little 350 Honda CB, we also wore them. There have been times years ago when we did not think it was that important however. The other night, we were riding on I-275 and we were ready to get off at our exit. A car in the fast lane, decided they wanted to exit too. So they switched lanes and obviously did not see us on the bike. It was a real close call. When Moped uses his horn, you know it was close. The thing that mad him the maddest was after blowing the horn, the clown still came over in our lane. We would have been knocked off the road for sure. And to think I was just worried about running into deer that night. I yelled back at the guy, and said, "You almost got us"! He said, he was so sorry. And I think he really was. Once again we made it home.
    Yama Mama
    Hidden Content I am not afraid of dying; but I am afraid of NOT LIVING!

United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do most of the time unless I am at a park or something of that sort I may not wear one but on the highway interstate riding I always wear one

Canada
    BC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always wearing a helmet is just a very good idea because one never knows when it will be a necessity that can save your life. During the 6 years I worked on a scooter in parking enforcement I was knocked off 3 times and T-boned a truck that ran a red light. Went down once on my Venture after hitting some ice on the road. My friend MJ caught her foot once while mounting the Venture and landed on the ground. Her helmet had a little damage so possibly it saver her from a minor concussion.

No serious injuries any of those times and none of them could have been predicted.

United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost always wear my helmet 99% of the time.
    Yesterday it paid off crashed the motorcycle and came away with a sprained ankle. I remember seeing grass Sky grass Sky grass and the visor was ripped off of my modular helmet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171003_122754.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	110637
    Hidden Content If you waited until there is nothing else left to do but pray, you started praying too late.
    1983 Venture standard (mine) R.I.P.
    2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (mine )
    2012 Can Am Spyder Limited (hers)

7. Likes videoarizona liked this post
    United States
    ID
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100%--I always wear it,the best argument I`ve ever seen is,stand in front of a concrete wall about 10 feet away,put your hands behind your back and run as fast as you can at the wall,do it with a helmet on and then without,end of argument--LOL.

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot believe this poll is still on here. So I had to just right something. We always wear our helmets. It is just standard policy. It would not feel natural to not wear our helmets.

Yama Mama
    Hidden Content I am not afraid of dying; but I am afraid of NOT LIVING!

United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yama Mama View Post
    I cannot believe this poll is still on here. So I had to just right something. We always wear our helmets. It is just standard policy. It would not feel natural to not wear our helmets.

Yama Mama
    Not always as a kid as I would always give my helmet to my passenger, now she's my wife. I bought her a helmet after a month or 2 of dating and then always carried it with me. Today We always wear ours. I was convinced on this as a kid, a friend and I were riding wheelies through a field (like we always did) but the farmer had plowed crossed the path to drain some water from a low area. When we hit this new little ditch I set my bike down with no issues but he flipped his back. I walked up to him rubbing his head with the helmet in 2 pieces on the ground. His head hit a rock. If weren't for the helmet he would not have survived that.
    Hidden Content

Don't end up in pieces. Riding should be your Peace.

Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ride with 2 helmets. When its very hot riding I switch out my fave for one a touch bigger and a touch louder. I wear full face units ,often with the visor up slightly.

A couple of quick ones: When I had the big crash my helmet flew off on the last of many impacts. 2 reasons they were able to rebuild my hand was 1 because I was wearing web gloves and 2nd my hands and arms were very developed from steeple chasing/climbing, my wallet save my right cheek and my jacket kept my upper joints together, my boots ground down the first band of leather which is why I still have a heel Of course I could look at this in a more possessive way thinking back about how upset I was at the hydrant being on the outside of the bend; considering I was burning thru my skid shielding lol
    My son late at night trying out his new gear before we were to leave on a cross country tour, at night crashed and was propelled like a chopper blade about 8/9 feet off ground. He hit a parking sign with his fancy expensive helmet. The EMR checked the helmet for signs of damage in case of head trauma and nothing was found but, the next morning there was a large chip laying beside it on his dresser!!!!!!

Like any sport machine proper gear is a smart choice, IMHO

United States
    KY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear mine on the interstate always and I wear it on roads I'm not familiar with or in a large group ride like Poker Runs.
    Hidden Content
    One America, One American.

United States
    TN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now we live in a helmet state (Tennessee) but when I lived in Illinois both my wife and I always wore our helmets. Now when I was young, I hated it when the helmet law passed in Illinois. A couple of years later it was repealed. Then I had a bad accident, and the top of my helmet (I WAS wearing it at the time) hit a fence post. I was unconscious for almost 3 weeks (swollen brain) and I sure I would have died if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. Now I've switched from a 3/4 face helmet to one of those full helmets that open up when you pull the latch. Barb still wears her 3/4 helmet.

14. Likes Patch liked this post
    United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being active duty, if you dont wear proper gear (helmet, gloves, long sleeve, pants, closed toed over the ankle shoes) TRICARE isn't obligated to pay for your medical expenses if you end up in a wreck, no matter where you are at. Even the best riders are at the mercy of the other drivers/riders around them.
    Even if you are in a state that allows you to ride w/o a helmet, check with your insurance. Either way, why risk it?

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never been an ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) guy. I gear up for the occasion.

I get it, there is no way to see the future and know for certain that I won't be involved in an accident.

I also know how many miles and how many years I have logged on two wheels without a real accident.

That is not luck.

I have actively avoided major catastrophe on many occasions, several of which I might not have been able to see/hear/anticipate if I had been wearing a full face helmet.

So, to answer the question; No, I certainly do NOT always wear a helmet
    TANSTAAFL

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415