IGNORED

Painting Help

uthpda

I need some advice...I have a guy painting my bike (actually repainting the trunk and saddlebag) and he is trying to strip them down, but the paint won't come off. He paints cars (and does good work) but hasn't dealt with plastic much...how can he strip the clear and paint off (quickly and easily) so he can start shooting paint? He has tries a few different strippers, but they aren't taking the paint off.

Looking for some help to move this project along and help him not to send days trying to get the old paint off.

Dave

I paint cars for a living too and have to deal with plastic every day, why are you stripping it down? If the paint is fine on the bike as not peeling or cracked I would just sand them with 600 grit seal and paint them. If you strip them and you dont have the proper stuff to use on plastic it will most likly peel a t some point.

The paint is peeling and cracked, which is why it is being repainted. Unfortunately the last paint job was not done well (long, painful story), SO he (different paint guy) is trying to fix it.

well, he tried a stripper designed for plastic (he knew not to use the regular stripper...he said don't ask how) .....but it didn't do a very good job. So it was sandpaper that won the day. I was just hoping to find something that saved him time and effort, since he is doing me a favor.

The parts are now ready to prime and paint tomorrow morning!! He thinks I will have them back on Sat. :dancefool:

Thank for the help!

Dave

I am glad you got it taken care of, there is no easy way to do it when it comes to plastics. The strippers for plastics dont work very well if at all. With most cars today there is alot of plastic on them so its a daily thing to fix and paint them for me. The best thing is to do it how your paint manufactures want it and follow the steps and then you shouldnt have any problems. Good luck