IGNORED

How do you drain the carb bowls?

Each carb has a small hose from the bowl, two to the right side, and two to the left side.

Each carb has a #2 phillips head screw on side of bowl, open about 2 turns and fuel will drain out of the hose. Screws are hard to see, come in horizontaly with #2 phillips head screw driver.

If you turn the Key to ON position, the fuel pump will pump fuel thru the bowl and out the hose, with the Screw in the open position.

Useing this proceedure you can Flush the carb bowls. Good to do this a couple time s a year.

Each carb has a small hose from the bowl, two to the right side, and two to the left side.

Each carb has a #2 phillips head screw on side of bowl, open about 2 turns and fuel will drain out of the hose. Screws are hard to see, come in horizontaly with #2 phillips head screw driver.

If you turn the Key to ON position, the fuel pump will pump fuel thru the bowl and out the hose, with the Screw in the open position.

Useing this proceedure you can Flush the carb bowls. Good to do this a couple time s a year.

I really wasn't going to drain the bowls when I asked the question but after I went looking for those screws and found them, I went ahead and did it anyway. The screws are on the lower right of each carb bowl. It was a few minute task to flush them all. You may have to remove some of that VR plastic to get at the front ones (especially on the left side). I did but maybe with a shorter screwdriver you don't have to. I put a bigger OD tubing over the drain hose and drained it into a clear container. There was some small stuff in there. Maybe this is something I will do at each oil change now.

Thanks for the quick response! :322:

• 11 years later...

I do not know, but if you are wanting to drain bowls for winter, I will add, I never do. I put Stabil in my tank as directions say. top off my tank, making sure that it runs long enough to work through whole system. Usually the last ride of the season. Then I top off tank again, so there is very little room for moisture to start a rusting process in tank. I've been doing this for years, and never a gas related problem.

I do not know, but if you are wanting to drain bowls for winter, I will add, I never do. I put Stabil in my tank as directions say. top off my tank, making sure that it runs long enough to work through whole system. Usually the last ride of the season. Then I top off tank again, so there is very little room for moisture to start a rusting process in tank. I've been doing this for years, and never a gas related problem.

I want to drain them to clean the bowls out with carb cleaner. Not wanting to pull the carbs atm

That's not actually the drain plug. The drain plug is a Cross Tip screw. IFRC, it's on the right hand side of the carb and does take a longer driver to get at it. It's recessed a bit in the casting. You don't need to remove it, just turn it out a couple turns. It's basically a blunt needle valve.

Be careful not to over tighten it. You can smash the seat and cause a leak.

That's not actually the drain plug. The drain plug is a Cross Tip screw. IFRC, it's on the right hand side of the carb and does take a longer driver to get at it. It's recessed a bit in the casting. You don't need to remove it, just turn it out a couple turns. It's basically a blunt needle valve.

Be careful not to over tighten it. You can smash the seat and cause a leak.

Ok so you dont drain these carbs from the bowls like 99% of motorcycles?

What do you mean by Right Hand Side? The diaphragm cover side or on the bowl side?

What do you mean by Right Hand Side? The diaphragm cover side or on the bowl side?

I have never drained mine. I dump a whole can of seafoam into the tank, drive to the gas station, than fill it to the the top with fuel and ride it home so it goes through the carbs. Plug in the battery saver, throw the old all weather full cover on her and tuck her in for the winter hibernation. Have been doing this for 14 years now and the old girl fires right up at a touch, in the spring with no issue. This winter I hope to bring her inside for some overdue TLC though.

From the diaphragm side, look to the right(I think) bottom corner, back under the cast carb body. There is a screw recessed in the side of the carb. you can reach it with the carbs on the bike and the side covers removed. I don't remember if the lower fairing leg is in the way or not. I'm away from home and can't get a picture for you right now.

Exactly

I have never drained mine. I dump a whole can of seafoam into the tank, drive to the gas station, than fill it to the the top with fuel and ride it home so it goes through the carbs. Plug in the battery saver, throw the old all weather full cover on her and tuck her in for the winter hibernation. Have been doing this for 14 years now and the old girl fires right up at a touch, in the spring with no issue. This winter I hope to bring her inside for some overdue TLC though.

Just happened to stumble on this link pretty much along the lines of what I have been doing except I never bother to pull the plugs or mist the intake.

https://seafoamsales.com/knowledge-base/how-to-use-sea-foam-for-engine-storage-and-stabilizing-fuel/

The carbs on these bikes are so different than anything I have ever worked on.

I feel like they should have their own sub-forum.

Another thing I do not understand is why they have 3 jets. You have the external jet that sits atop the jet block, you have a teeny tiny pilot jet Inside the block and finally you have the main jet, also Inside the block.

What is the reason for the 3rd jet a top the jet block. To restrict maximum flow to the main jet at WOT? weird

Edited by jfman