IGNORED

Yamaha trunk rack-look at pics-need your opinion

I bought this off ebay from a regular vender. I was very disappointed in the quality of the "finishing". Before I bought this one, I asked on this forum about a cheaper "after-market" version for $80 on ebay. Consensus was that it did not have the 4 supports and others had their trunk lids crack as a result. So I paid more and got the "Yamaha" accessory. The factory pic used by 3 retailers is the same - NO detail options to zoom in.

I am posting here with pics I took to find out if others who have this rack can tell me if this one has defective or left over weld marks on the 2 front curved legs at the female ends where it mounts onto the lid. The 2 straight rear legs are finished properly.

Thanks for looking!

Thats what they all are like, it's a mass produced item done by robots. Yamaha chrome items have never been very good at finish quality. I have been using the ones from JC whitney that are a bit different configuration. They are priced out at about $80 + shipping, your rack there is no different than any other Star accessory item.

i don't know much about the yamaha rack.....i also have the one from whitney.......i've had it for 5 months.....i used large rubber and metal washers on the underside of the trunk to give support and i hope that prevents cracking.........i already have small rust spots on two joints and chrome has worn off some of the tubes , showing the nickel underneath, i mounted a bag on the rack for a trip i took out west and i guess that accelerated the wear in addition to the chrome being very thin....as a matter of fact i just took my bike to a chroming facility to see about getting the rack re-done and my fins done.....can't do the fins ( and have them look good ) and $110 to re-do the rack..said the rack was a flash chrome job....this was not a local backyard chroming place , it is a well kept, professional place...the fact that your yamaha rack has problems makes me feel better about buying the cheaper rack........

I have had the Big Bike/Showchrome trunk rack on my '03 for just about 5 years now.............. no problems whatsoever. I used Star washers on the top under the legs along with rubber washers. I also used the tapered washer legs that are available that keep the mounting bolts going in straight. This removes any chance of the lid cracking.

ken.jo@shaw.ca