• 4 weeks later...

Well it’s been a few weeks since I did anything, finally got around this evening to soldering the wires and eliminating the connector between the stator and RR. No issues and the wires aren’t even warm let alone burning. I did do some voltage readings with different accessories on and I think a stronger RR would do me well. With the aux driving lights and radio at 2k rpm I was only getting 12.8 return. With no accessories I’m getting 13.3. I’m afraid when I go on a trip and plug in phone, gps, lights, radio...I’ll be draining rather than charging. Thoughts?

Couple of thoughts here:

When you checked the voltage, was that on the battery posts or cable clamps. If you find the clamps give you a higher reading, it's time to make them clean.

Driving lights can take a lot of draw, maybe consider LEDs to minimize the draw.

At best these stators don't put out mega watts, but I would agree that 13.3 is a bit low, not sure if a high output would solve that issue.

Dirty connections elsewhere will also cause an excessive draw, so clean connections are good things to have.

Good point on other connectors. I’ll give a good scrub to others in line and coat with some dielectric. Battery terminals and cables are clean as can be. I didn’t install the driving lights but I’m almost positive they’re halogen. Will look for an LED replacement bulb as I like the look of the housings the PO installed.

meter leads were clamped to the cable, not post.

Good point on other connectors. I’ll give a good scrub to others in line and coat with some dielectric. Battery terminals and cables are clean as can be. I didn’t install the driving lights but I’m almost positive they’re halogen. Will look for an LED replacement bulb as I like the look of the housings the PO installed.

meter leads were clamped to the cable, not post.

You can try SuperBright for a bulb.