IGNORED

Any hints or recommendations?

TINPUSHER

Hi Folks. Zooby and I are headed down to do the Dragons Tail and the Blue Ridge at the end of the month. We are planning a quick run down to Ashville, and then riding the Blue Ridge back. If anyone has any recommendations such as where to camp,what to see and what to avoid, we would very much appreciate the help.

Thanks

Guest BluesLover

If you're planning on doing the Blue Ridge, give yourself lots of time. Speed limits are considerably lower (35 and 45 mph maximums) and very well policed.

Cheers,

This is where I stayed. http://www.punkincentermotorcycleresort.com/

It was about four years ago but the folks there where very friendly. They are only about ten miles from the dragon.

Yep Gary, this IS a very nice place to stay and the folks are really nice.

Here is another place that is just as good..and the folks are really nice here too.

http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

I am sitting at the computer with my Iron Horse Lodge hat on. It is a great place tucked away in the hills of the Smoky Mountains. They have campsites and very nice, clean cabins for resonable prices. Nice folks too. They serve dinner and have a large lounge in the main building. Usually a campfire going where folks sit around and talk bikes and things.

No alcohol is served, so BYOB.

Have a great trip. Best riding in the east.

RR

Just got back from the Dragon and Blue Ridge, just to add a note, there is a small section of the Blue Ridge Parkway that is closed right now. I can't remember exactly where it is, but you might want to check on it before you leave...

Some others on this site may be able to tell you where you will encounter it.

Have fun on your trip !!!

Returned from the Dragon the end of June spent a week in the area. We just winged it and never found a bad place or unfriendly people anywhere. All the hotels and motels are biker friendly and very reasonable in my opinion. We got maps from some of the motels and that is what we planed our rides with. Just be careful and take your time there is sooo much tosee and do in that area.

Roy

Just got back from the Dragon and Blue Ridge, just to add a note, there is a small section of the Blue Ridge Parkway that is closed right now. I can't remember exactly where it is, but you might want to check on it before you leave...

Some others on this site may be able to tell you where you will encounter it.

Have fun on your trip !!!

The area closed is from Asheville to Mt Mitchell. There are a couple of detours. I would come up 70 out of Asheville toward Black Mountain and a little before you get to Marion, NC, turn up 80 to your left. When you get to the parkway, you can turn back south if you want to go to Mt Mitchell, or north takes you thru Boone. Little Switzerland is a nice stop. The Spruce Pine exit has a Gem museum and about a mile farther toward Spruce is a Walmart, if you need anything.

RandyA