I am looking for any feedback about this Company, RMStator, from Quebec. I have lost my stator, and need a replacement. I've seen these guys mentioned in a few posts and am wondering about the quality of the stator they are selling. Also, I have an '89 VR, and their website lists the stator as being compatible with '90 - '93. My understanding is that '86 - '93 (at least) is the same, can anyone comment?

Thanks for any and all comments and opinion!

Kevin

I have no prior experience with stators, so I am not qualified to comment on the quality, except to say that I bought a replacement stator from these folks, installed it about 6 months ago, and it has worked quite fine. I did have to obtain slightly shorter bolts to install it since theirs was not quite as "thick" as the one I removed.

Also, I first went to their website and then also discovered that they were selling on eBay with a "Buy It Now" price that was less. So, I called them for details and info and ended up buying it directly at the lower price.

To date, my experience with this company has been very positive.

Terry

Bought one for my 89 from them. I called them direct and spoke to them on the phone, but quoted the price that they were selling on ebay. Got it for the lower price. Stator seems to work just fine, but I have no experience with stators. Your mileage my vary.

Thanks for the input everyone... I was reading your stator thread BJ, and wondered how you had made out, I think that was where I first saw the RMStator name. What about compatability, though? As I understand it, RM is selling the Electrosport(ES) stator, but ES lists two different stators, one for 86-89 and one for 90-93, while RM shows only the stator for '90 - '93. Does anyone know if they are the same stator? The OEM part number is different. Also, RM lists it as a stator/rectifier, did you get the rectifier too as part of the package BJ, or anyone else who bought there? I'll give them a call after work today, but any input here would be great too.

Kevin

Guest AdmiralG

I got my stator from www.denniskirk.com. I just got it on 7/9/2008. I have not installed it yet. I am looking for instrutions on how to do it. I do not want to remove anything that I do not have to.

I bought one of RMSTATOR's "hi output" units last May when my OEM original failed. It arrived promptly and as promised but was not quite the drop in replacement advertised. I had to make some changes to mounting bolts and cable clamps to get it to fit in. Nothing too complex but a nuisance. The folks at RMSTATOR tried to be helpful but basically I was on my own. My major concern was that I'd void the warranty, they all but said 'don't worry, do what you have to do'.

Once installed, this stator lasted in service for one month, almost to the day.

I had a feeling that the RMSTATOR folks were reselling Electrosport units, so I called Electrosport and asked them. I was right.

Electrosport honoured the warranty and replaced the failed stator, but it took a month round trip to California and back. Meanwhile I installed a used OEM stator I had bought on ebay for $15 or so, otherwise my bike would have been out of action for that month while I waited.

The used OEM stator is still in service and the RMSTATOR/Electrosport unit is on the shelf in its box untouched. I'll sell it to anyone interested for say $100 Cdn or what ever the current going rate is but I really don't advise it. I'd go OEM even a used OEM one if I had to do this all over again.

Hope this tale is of interest and some use to some of you.

Cheers,

Brian H.

Edited by 6m459
spelling correction

Guest AdmiralG

I removed the old stator and started to make my gaskets. After I made the gaskets I started to install the new stator. And it did not fit. The mounting holes where off. So I called DennisKirk (Electrosport) and the customer service guy said no problem send it back. For a new one. He said to write a description of the problem so the part can be checked with the replacement part. To make sure it is not the same. He said some time the are not assembled correctly. So I got to looking and the wire clamp was one hole off. So I had to tap it because the screw did not fit. I have not installed it but putting it to the OEM it in the same location now. I should get it back together by Wednesday. I have already removed the snap connector and wired it in directly.

So I got to looking and the wire clamp was one hole off. So I had to tap it because the screw did not fit. I have not installed it but putting it to the OEM it in the same location now.

This sounds very familiar.

Brian H.

I received the stator from RM today.... So far so good on service anyways, shipped fast, and they were helpful on the phone. I've taken the body parts off, and the engine covers, but I haven't removed the stator yet, thought I'd wait till I get the new one and do it all in one session. Hopefully there won't be too many surprises once the original stator comes off... biggest thing yet was a few sticky bolts in the crankcase cover that had me a little nervous, but I took my time and eased them out!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Guest AdmiralG

Ok I am putting my stator back on and I have run into a problem. The rubber garment that the three stator wires run though. Well the new wires are smaller then the OEM wires. How do you seal the holes. I can wipe some sealant on both sides but I would think it would leak. I sure do not want to have to remove this again. Any suggestions on the best way to seal the three holes.

Ok I am putting my stator back on and I have run into a problem. The rubber garment that the three stator wires run though. Well the new wires are smaller then the OEM wires. How do you seal the holes. I can wipe some sealant on both sides but I would think it would leak. I sure do not want to have to remove this again. Any suggestions on the best way to seal the three holes.

Use some Threebond 1104 sealant on the wires where they go through the rubber (also packaged as Yamabond). It is a semi drying sealant, used on scoots.

Guest AdmiralG

I went to the Yamaha dealer and got some Yamabond 4. Did not have time to use it so in the morning I will start to put it to use. I got a Syringe to inject the sealant in the holes to fill them. I sure hope it seals.

Where they went through the grommet, I put an inch or so long piece of heat shrink tube (Radio Shack or equiv) around each of the wires to BULK them up a bit. I then used some of the silicone gasket making stuff to seal them to the grommet. (I might even have put a bit of the silicone gasket stuff on the wires and then put the heat shrink over top of that.)

Before I pulled the wires into the grommet holes, I put a liberal amount of the gasket stuff on the wire where the grommet would be. I coated it all the way around. THEN I pulled the wire into the hole so that it would take the gasket stuff in with it. Worked out good for me.

Hope this helps.

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

Edited by 6m459
clarification and grammar, oh and a bit of spelling and exageration too for good measure. Hope that's OK with everyone.

Guest AdmiralG

Hey 6m459

I had though of the heat shrink too. But I got to thinking it would not be compatible to oil. I go the Yamabond 4 in the syringe and injected from the inside until it came out the other side. I then re-assembled the case. When it was bolted back on I was putting the protective case over the wires and moved them in and out. So I then injected more yamahbond in the holes from the outside. I have to work on it outside my door at my apartment. So I should finish putting the foot peg and lower fairing back on later today when it is cooler.

Admiral, sounds like you are well on the way. I had the same wire issue when I put mine together on Thursday... I tried some gasket silicone, left it for the evening, but it did not bond to the rubber grommet or the wire... as soon as I started moving stuff around it came off. So, I stripped the "fabric" coating off the original stator wires, then ran the new stator wires through that and then ran that through the grommet... made for a snug fit. This area is now covered of course, so I can't see if it is weeping... but there isn't any oil coming out between the two covers, so it isn't significant. This is at the top of the case, and the grommet is protected by the the metal bracket that holds the stator wires snug, so I am hoping for the best.

I had to snug up a couple bolts in the crankcase cover after my test ride since because they were leaking abit, gotta be careful as they only call for a little more than 7lb of torque. I'm getting lots of charge now, slightly over 13 at idle according to my tester.

I do, however, have a noticeable drop in voltage when I apply my brakes, it goes down about 2 volts, which doesn't seem right. I don't get any drop with radio or high beam, or cruise, and only a very slight drop with my extra running lights turned on.... I am wondering if something is shorting, and could this have killed my stator to begin with. Any methods for testing this that anyone can suggest... electrical testing isn't my strong point. I'll toss this out in this thread, to see if anyone has any thoughts, and if not, perhaps I'll start a new thread.

Admiral, sounds like you are well on the way. I had the same wire issue when I put mine together on Thursday... I tried some gasket silicone, left it for the evening, but it did not bond to the rubber grommet or the wire... as soon as I started moving stuff around it came off. So, I stripped the "fabric" coating off the original stator wires, then ran the new stator wires through that and then ran that through the grommet... made for a snug fit. This area is now covered of course, so I can't see if it is weeping... but there isn't any oil coming out between the two covers, so it isn't significant. This is at the top of the case, and the grommet is protected by the the metal bracket that holds the stator wires snug, so I am hoping for the best.

I had to snug up a couple bolts in the crankcase cover after my test ride since because they were leaking abit, gotta be careful as they only call for a little more than 7lb of torque. I'm getting lots of charge now, slightly over 13 at idle according to my tester.

I do, however, have a noticeable drop in voltage when I apply my brakes, it goes down about 2 volts, which doesn't seem right. I don't get any drop with radio or high beam, or cruise, and only a very slight drop with my extra running lights turned on.... I am wondering if something is shorting, and could this have killed my stator to begin with. Any methods for testing this that anyone can suggest... electrical testing isn't my strong point. I'll toss this out in this thread, to see if anyone has any thoughts, and if not, perhaps I'll start a new thread.

This voltage drop when using the brakes is very common and has been brought up before. It's just one of the first gens idiosyncrasies.

Dick

I think the 89 1st gen has electric antidive on the front forks, so that would account for your draw. The older 1st gens used Hydraulic antidive forks

Brian