IGNORED

1989 Royale, Should I Buy it?

Guest cabinfever

Guest cabinfever

My dad has a 1989 Royale that he bought new. It has been sitting in the garage for the last 4-5 years and he has finally decided to sell it. The bike is in good to excellent shape, only 16000 miles, has not been run in 4-5 years. Everything was in working order last he rode it.

I called a couple service departments at local dealers and BOTH tried to shy me away from it. Mainly due to it being older and limited parts availability.

Are parts still generally available? Anything else I should watch out for?

Should I buy it?

Any help / guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Eric

I would (assuming he's gonna sell it for a reasonable price) and there's no "real" shortage of parts, depending on what part you needed of course. The dealers will try and scare ya away coz they don't want to have to work on it.

Guest Ken8143

I wouldn't be scared off because of parts. may need some TLC from sitting so long - maybe the gas gunked up the carbs.

If you don't want it, I bet there are plenty of people, me included, that would like to hear more about it...

An 89 with only 16,000 miles is an excellent choice. On a site like this theres plwenty of parts availablity. Carbs? well that could be a problem if your dad didn't add stabilizer . Still if your dad gives it to ya at a good price the price of the carb cleaning wouldn't be awful. BESIDES YOU KNOW THE PREVIOUS OWNER . A 89 1st gen will last a lonnnnnnng time.

a first gen with only 16000 miles? you probably won't be needing parts for a long time.

the dealers are probably just trying you to buy something off of them.

besides, what kind of $ is he wanting you to pay? and what's the price for anybody else?

Guest cabinfever

Thanks for the replies so far. It's been a few years since I've had a ride. Always helps to get others ideas.

That was my thought about the dealer too.

He finally decided to get sell it due to his health the last few years.

I'll hopefully know more later in the week. He is supposed to be getting it going this week to see how it runs. There is one oil leak, looks like it it coming from the oil pressure sensor. Other than that hopefully there are no other motor problems or bad seals or anything. I imagine a new set of tires will be in order.

Probably shouldn't say it here but he offered it to me for $1500. Must be the family discount.

I bought a 1 owner 89 VR that had 29k on it, I changed valve cover gaskets, air breather assembly O Rings, checked Diaphrams, new air filter, spark plugs, new oil, ran some seafoam in the gas. Checked everything out, then for the test I took her on a 1100 mile test run to St Louis and back. I paid 2300.00 for mine and it is worth every penny. What is being told to you on these posts are true, these are some of the best people you could ever get in touch with. Any problems, all you need to do is ask. Without naming anyone they all know who have helped me, called me on their vacations etc... Can't beat them with a stick- well I guess ya could but we require pictures. I say buy it, very strong,fast and comfortable bike!

My only reservation about this bike is making sure that you know that you do not want to take it to a dealer. There may be some independent shops around that may be able to help you, but it is a lot better if you have some mechanical skills and do not mind working on it. As noted, there are a lot of guys on here that will do just about anything to give you a hand.

RandyA

My only reservation about this bike is making sure that you know that you do not want to take it to a dealer. There may be some independent shops around that may be able to help you, but it is a lot better if you have some mechanical skills and do not mind working on it. As noted, there are a lot of guys on here that will do just about anything to give you a hand.

RandyA

RandyA is right. Stay away from the dealers. Best if you are a bit handy there is plenty of help available here for a DIYer.

At $1500 you should really jump before he changes his mind. They go for that all beat up and wrecked as parts bikes.

Guest cabinfever

I knew I shouldn't have posted the price.... :doh:

I'm going to mull it over until he he calls me later in the week. I'll most likely end up buying it. Best part is my wife is all for it. She went on a couple short rides on another (brand I won't mention here) touring bike over the weekend and loved it. She's all for it since it is such a comfortable bike.

Again, thanks for the replies. If there is anything else I should check, please let me know.

Thanks for the replies so far. It's been a few years since I've had a ride. Always helps to get others ideas.

That was my thought about the dealer too.

He finally decided to get sell it due to his health the last few years.

I'll hopefully know more later in the week. He is supposed to be getting it going this week to see how it runs. There is one oil leak, looks like it it coming from the oil pressure sensor. Other than that hopefully there are no other motor problems or bad seals or anything. I imagine a new set of tires will be in order.

Probably shouldn't say it here but he offered it to me for $1500. Must be the family discount.

Just buy it and worry about fixing it up later. We have several people in MN that love to work on the 1st Gens. If you bring it up to the Pork in the Pines Rally we'll even work on it for you. We always need a project bike for the Sunday Maintenance day at the rally.

Hey Fever,,, by the sounds of things I think it would really bring a smile on your dads face if you and your wife bought it, got it going and put the miles on the bike that it deserves...

I have brought many old scoots back to life after years of storage and experience has taught me that there is nothing harder on an engine that has not been run for years than the first couple minutes of start up.. If, at the time of this writing, the bike still hasnt been even rolled over maybe I can share a couple things that will help increase its life span..

I would begin the process of resurrection by getting a fresh battery for it, fully charge the new bat so your getting full crank power to your starter.. Now clean the bike real well - especially the engine. Remove the carb slide covers and gentely remove the rubber diaphram/slide from carbs - lay them out so you put them back in correct carb. Open the bowl drain on each carb. Go to autozone and get the carb cleaner in the black and yellow can - spray the carb cleaner into the main jet hole that the needle that is attached to the carb slide slips into - FLOOD each carb bowl thoughourly until you get a good flow out of the drain hose from each carb (the drain hoses are attached to the carbs directly under the slide covers). Now close the drain plugs and fill the bowls thru the main jet and let it sit. Remove the spark plugs and pull a cam cover bolt on the right hand side/end of the each cam cover.. Put the bike on its center stand and Squirt a teaspoon of 15/40 oil and a teaspoon of raw gas in each cylinder. Now put the bike on the side stand and shoot a half pint of 15/40 in each cam cover. Leave the plugs out and bolt out, cover the plug holes with a rag and now spin the motor for few seconds - do this a quickly as possible after squirting the oil in the cam covers.. Now shoot another 1/2 pint into the cam covers and spin er again.. Now put the bike back on her center stand, compress both front and rear brakes and release - check both front and rear wheels for brake drag.. Now put the bike in gear and pull the clutch in - hold the clutch in and try to spin the rear tire.. If you cannot spin it you may have dried out plates.. If so, REMEMBER that the clutch is stuck so you dont start it and stick it in gear and have it go thru the side of the house on you... There are lots of easy fixes for a stuck clutch..

Let the bike set couple days with carb cleaner in it.. Now go out, redo the cam cover oiling only this time before spinning the engine use just a teaspoon of raw fuel in each cylinder.. recover the plug holes with a rag - make sure your kill switch if off so you dont start a fire - roll her over a few secs.. Blow out each cylinder with compressed air (wear safety glasses), put a fresh teaspoon of fuel in each jug and replace plugs with new ones gapped correctly. Replace cam cover bolts. Drain the carbs. Check each diaphram for leaks - wipe slides down carefully with a rag and WD. Clean slide passages with WD and replace the slides being careful to get diaphrams seated correctly. put carb covers on..

Now drain the engine oil and put a new filter in.. Refill oil. With choke off and throttle CLOSED hit the starter - if it doesnt start right off open throttle to give it some air. If you do this though close the throttle as soon as it starts - DONT rev it. once it burns off its intial prime it may take choke to restart it..

DOnt get impatient - if you prelube like I am explaining you may very well safe scoring on the cam journals and cylinder walls.. I have personally seen more than one engine destroyed because of lack or prelube..

Hope this all helps and you get THOUSANDS of miles of enjoyment from your new bike!!! Be careful on her till you get used to it - these 1st gens are nothing short of AWESOME bikes!

Puc

Why would you need parts unless you drop it???

Like others have mentioned, the only concern would be with the cards. Once you get it running, a can of sea foam would be in order. You will also want to flush the hydraulics and the cooling system as well...

Edited by bongobobny

I paid 1800 for my 84 a few years ago with over 50,000 miles.

So far I have bought: front tire, front brake pads, back tire, back brake pads, battery, seafoam every now and then, plus lots of gas, beer and hot wings.

Probably the best investment I've ever made.

GO FOR IT!!!

Got mine for $1800 with 35k on it and thought I got a deal ! Don't let the bike get away. Even if you decide you don't want it you could resell it here or on Ebay for close to twice that. they're averaging around $3000 on E bay