IGNORED

Year to Year Differences

I just had a thought... I know..I know.. about putting together a list of features, or subtle differences, between all years of the 1stGens. Maybe a good idea...maybe not, but outside of colors which are listed in Venture History it might be fun to put together something. So I'll start, chime in if you can think of anything that first appeared in that year and I'll add it to the list. If I don't get any response I'll figure it was a bad idea and pick up my marbles and go away....:whistling:

1. TCI is unique

2. vacuum advance comes off carb.

3. Dash is unique

4. Front brake and Gear shifter are adjustable

5. Hydralic anti-dive

1. TCI changed

2. vacuum advance comes off manafold.

3. Choke set rotates in front of LH Grip

4. Cruise Control

5. Dimmer knob, gear position, stop watch added to Dash

1. Larger removable trunk.. unique

2. V-Max tranny after #1417

3 Choke set back to slider

1. 1300 engine

2. Larger saddle bags

3. Larger trunk

4. Choke setting back to slider under horn button

5. larger 4 piston calipers and rotors

6. Wider passenger seat

7. Headlight changed in 86 to include different headlight bucket, top frame that mounts dash, adjustment mech, left side upper frame and headlight ring

8. passenger foot boards added

9. Muffler mount spacer larger

10. OEM CB added

11. chin scoop out of ABS

12. Engine guards redesigned to take new scoop

13. Windshield chrome strip changed to one piece

14. wider fork mount for 100mm calipers

15. Front brake and gear shifter non-adjustable.

16. clutch springs, pressure plate changed.

17. extra bleeder valve for left front brake near ignition switch.

18. Cruise Control lights on ignition switch cover.

19. Electrical anti-dive.

20. Longer drive shaft and modified final.

1. Standard XVZ1300 Discontinued

1. front fork boots attach a at the bottom.

2. TCI changed

1. European only

Edited by Condor

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great idea for those of us that look at e-buy from time to time and wonder if the money we bid is for stuff that will actually fit our 1st gen.

As far as additions to your list, I got nuthin, right now.

Brian:cool10::cool10:

I know there were seat differences, like mine is a crossover. But, since I am not the seat expert (I know Rick Butler is), maybe someone will add to it.

Then there are the headlight differences between the MKI and MKII

Then there is the air dam differences and the engine guards they mount to.

Can't forget the saddlebags. The trunk on the 85 might be the same as the 86 but the 85 is removable and looks like the rack it mounts to is different too. So, my trunk shakes a bit versus the 86+.

Light bars are different between the MKI and MKII.

Floorboards are different.

Left handlebar radio controller is different as well as for the passenger.

Hopefully this will pull some of the experts out to help define some of these.

BTW, my choke is a slider and does not rotate and I have no PPT button. I have no CB either, lol.

Great Idea..

I believe in the early years Venture Standard was available but in later years only the Royale was made. Not sure what year this changed. 86 and up came with CB and prior to that was available as an option. Not only was the trunk bigger on the 86 and up but the backrest is adjustable. Roll bars are different as well due to the larger bags. Passenger floor boards are standard after 86.

Wayne

The idea is good, but you need to list the model specs, not (just) the year. Some years you had three or four current models in just one market, so the TK, TDK, L, DL and maybe a couple more models came out the same year - a 'standard' model, one with CLASS, one with cruise control, one with something else (maybe different carb?) but I don't know what.

Then there may be differences for different markets, but people can tell you those.

Other differences for markets include no CB (and different housing), different frequencies/wavelengths on the radio tuner, speedo and maybe a little light to say when you're over 55mph.

Go for it, Condor, but sorry if it's more detail than you expected (as I found with the carbs...)

I know there were seat differences, like mine is a crossover. But, since I am not the seat expert (I know Rick Butler is), maybe someone will add to it.

Then there are the headlight differences between the MKI and MKII

Then there is the air dam differences and the engine guards they mount to.

Can't forget the saddlebags. The trunk on the 85 might be the same as the 86 but the 85 is removable and looks like the rack it mounts to is different too. So, my trunk shakes a bit versus the 86+.

Light bars are different between the MKI and MKII.

Floorboards are different.

Left handlebar radio controller is different as well as for the passenger.

Hopefully this will pull some of the experts out to help define some of these.

BTW, my choke is a slider and does not rotate and I have no PPT button. I have no CB either, lol.

Thanks for the input Gig. I guess the rotate choke was a one year experiment in '84. I'll add your suggestions to the list..... It also brings to mind that the driver pegs are different between the I & II.

Great Idea..

I believe in the early years Venture Standard was available but in later years only the Royale was made. Not sure what year this changed. 86 and up came with CB and prior to that was available as an option. Not only was the trunk bigger on the 86 and up but the backrest is adjustable. Roll bars are different as well due to the larger bags. Passenger floor boards are standard after 86.

Wayne

The standard was discontinued in '88. Good suggestions I'll add them when I get some time...soon.

The idea is good, but you need to list the model specs, not (just) the year. Some years you had three or four current models in just one market, so the TK, TDK, L, DL and maybe a couple more models came out the same year - a 'standard' model, one with CLASS, one with cruise control, one with something else (maybe different carb?) but I don't know what.

Then there may be differences for different markets, but people can tell you those.

Other differences for markets include no CB (and different housing), different frequencies/wavelengths on the radio tuner, speedo and maybe a little light to say when you're over 55mph.

Go for it, Condor, but sorry if it's more detail than you expected (as I found with the carbs...)

That may all come in due time Greg. Right now I'm just looking in those areas that help in identification when locating used parts. We can get real technical and get buried.

Edited by Condor

Greetings...

Somewhere, a few months back - I found an online - Spreadsheet - which I cannot now find and regret now not saving - that had some information about unique year and model parts. If I find it again - I'll definately post it!

The earlier Venture have different Sliders than the later, regarding only the Lifter Hole Boring. May be different Carb Springs also. Not sure about the Year of Change.

The '85 Tranny is not a Vmax Tranny, the Vmax Ratios are completely different.

The '83 and possibly '84 final Drive and Drive Shafts are different than the later Diffs. Easily to decide when you look at them. The newer Housing has a clean Look, whereas the earlier Casing had more Stripes to see. Gear Ratio 33/9 stayed the same on all Years up to present. Not sure if the Swingarm is different. I heard someone say they are different but that unconfirmed.

TCI was changed in 1990 to the newer single Coil Pickup.

Greetings...

Somewhere, a few months back - I found an online - Spreadsheet - which I cannot now find and regret now not saving - that had some information about unique year and model parts. If I find it again - I'll definately post it!

Remember, when it comes to 1stGen info.... Always save everything...... :)Hope you can find it again and post it if you can....

The '83 and possibly '84 final Drive and Drive Shafts are different than the later Diffs. Easily to decide when you look at them. The newer Housing has a clean Look, whereas the earlier Casing had more Stripes to see. Gear Ratio 33/9 stayed the same on all Years up to present. Not sure if the Swingarm is different. I heard someone say they are different but that unconfirmed.

TCI was changed in 1990 to the newer single Coil Pickup.

Got the TCI down Squeeze. I knew they changed it again after 1990, but couldn't remember which year. As far as the finals and shafts go, are they interchangable?? Not worried too much how they look. I personally don't think cosmetics on a part make all that much difference just as long as it'll work... Just like the carbs. Without getting technical with jetting, ect., other than the '83's they're all interchangable from 84-93. And actually you can take the '83s and put them on a '93. The only difference is the '83 has a vacuum bib coming off the #2 carb, and it would need to be capped off. Correct me if I'm wrong.

86 up caliper and fork mounting spacing different from 83/85

Headlight changed in 86 to include different headlight bucket, top frame that mounts dash, adjustment mech, left side upper frame and headlight ring.

Windshield chrome strip changed in 86

Differential, swingarm and driveshaft from 86 up different from 83/85

later bikes have factory installed zerk fittings in lower shock mount assy I think

Good post condor

RandyA

About the only thing I can add is that there is a turn signal cancal feature on my 86 that is not on the 83. First time I've heard of the different swingarm between the 86 & 83. Maybe that has alot to do with the slow speed shimmy on the 86 compared to the 83.:confused24::D

About the only thing I can add is that there is a turn signal cancal feature on my 86 that is not on the 83. First time I've heard of the different swingarm between the 86 & 83. Maybe that has alot to do with the slow speed shimmy on the 86 compared to the 83.:confused24::D

Alan, I think it must be your scoot. My '83 cancels after about 10 seconds....

The 83 IS a unique animal. It also has no cutout on the right side panel that on later years would be for the fuel petcock. The side panels for the 83-84 did not have the option for the vents and also didn't use the rubber "snubber" at the bottom... not sure about the 85.

86 introduced the passenger audio and CB PTT control and it's mount on the trunk.

I also think the 1200s had a small adjustment range for the footpegs that became fixed on later units.

The temp gauge sensor is different on the 1200s to 1300s.

The clutch plate mount is also different.

And let's not forget the 2nd gear and frame issues with the 83 and 84.

86 introduced a different lubrication source for the axle.

83-84 trunk mount had one ear for an antennae mount, later units had provision for dual.

83-84 didn't have the foot brake bleed nipple at the steering head (offered later as an upgrade).

84-85 Cruise activation on the right handlebar, 86-93 moved activation to steering head cover.

83-85 had hydraulic anti-dive, changing to electric in 86... so with the changed anti-dive and increased capacity brake caliper, the lower forks don't swap... also making the upgrade rotor covers and brake caliper covers unique to engine size.

Edited by mbrood

The 83 IS a unique animal. It also has no cutout on the right side panel that on later years would be for the fuel petcock. The side panels for the 83-84 did not have the option for the vents and also didn't use the rubber "snubber" at the bottom... not sure about the 85.

Good points Mike. The '83 is sorta a 'beta' Venture. They went to the rubber side cover pull tab snubbers very quickly in '83 somewhere around #0300. Something to think about when buying replacement side covers off Ebay. Always look for the tab.

86 introduced the passenger audio and CB PTT control and it's mount on the trunk.

Good point

I also think the 1200s had a small adjustment range for the footpegs that became fixed on later units.

Another good point, and the assemblies will mount on the later models if the rider needs extra or less foot room.

The temp gauge sensor is different on the 1200s to 1300s.

Not aware of this. Is it temperture range or??

The clutch plate mount is also different.

'Nother good point..

And let's not forget the 2nd gear and frame issues with the 83 and 84.

The tranny change has been noted, but do you know what year they started beefing up the frame??

86 introduced a different lubrication source for the axle.

Will an '83 fit a '93??

83-84 trunk mount had one ear for an antennae mount, later units had provision for dual.

Not neccessarly. I think the duel antenna rack was a factory option and very rare. My 87, 91 and 93 racks are all single mounts. I've only seen a couple of duels listed on Ebay. Lots of singles.

83-84 didn't have the foot brake bleed nipple at the steering head (offered later as an upgrade).

Good point.

84-85 Cruise activation on the right handlebar, 86-93 moved activation to steering head cover.

Good point

83-85 had hydraulic anti-dive, changing to electric in 86... so with the changed anti-dive and increased capacity brake caliper, the lower forks don't swap... also making the upgrade rotor covers and brake caliper covers unique to engine size.

Good point on the anti-dive.

Thanks for the input Mike. I'll add it to the list later on today.

My side cover does have the cutout for the fuel petcock. I have the vents in the side that open and close. Rubber snubber? lol If that is the rubber strap that pulls over a tab from the frame crossmember to hold it down, I have those. Thought I would add that, kewl.

Jack,

I don't know that they really "beefed up" the frame... the problem was reported as poor welds that allowed moisture to rot out the joint, mainly near the lower cross over... affecting 83 and 84 models.

Jack,

I don't know that they really "beefed up" the frame... the problem was reported as poor welds that allowed moisture to rot out the joint, mainly near the lower cross over... affecting 83 and 84 models.

Maybe they ramped up quality control in '85 to make sure the welds were done properly??? I've seen a few write ups about the repair, and putting gussets in there, and pics of newer models with the gusset already there. I'm too lazy to go outside and check. Did the '83/4's have gussets???

I had heard the 83 had a few more ponies than the rest. I wondered since they cut back the ponies, if this helped stop the frame issues. I dunno, just wondered if that was Yammies work around to the issue.

Sorry if I am slightly off topic.

The Change on the final Drive was not only cosmetic. They changed the Lubricating System of the Spline onthe Drive Shaft.

From what i did read here, i think the Shaft and final Drive as a Unit from a '83 would interchange to a later Model and vice versa. The Swingarms may be different, but the Drivetrain Parts fit.

Edited by Squeeze

The Change on the final Drive was not only cosmetic. They changed the Lubricating System of the Spline onthe Drive Shaft.

From what i did read here, i think the Shaft and final Drive as a Unit from a '83 would interchange to a later Model and vice versa. The Swingarms may be different, but the Drivetrain Parts fit.

There is a ring, if I remember correctly, just on the inside of the swingarm on an 86 up where the driveshaft goes in that is not in the 83/85. You might be able to put a differential off an 86 up into a 83/85, but not vise versa. I know when Richard lost his diffrential on his later 1st gen, we could not get my 83 differential and shaft to go in.

RandyA

I know when Richard lost his diffrential on his later 1st gen, we could not get my 83 differential and shaft to go in.

RandyA

Randy, Could you have swapped out the drive shaft and got it to work??