I recently had an E1 code pop up on my onboard air compressor computer screen.

I went over the old threads and read them. I wanted to thank FREEBIRD for the

detailed explanation.

AND IT WORKED!!!!

I wound up pulling the connector off and cleaning the terminals with contact spray.

Still no success.

Then I turned the connector in a clockwise manner, BAM. It worked perfectly.

THANKS MUCH,

THIS SITE IS AWESOME,

:301:

Steve

I did my old 89 as well from the instructions here. Ask away and you will get much help from many people. And, as stated before...some even know what they are talking about! Not me though....I've been know to mess up a few things!

I had the same problem on my previous '87. I ended up having to take the compressor controller apart and resolder the connections to the connector, pretty easy to do if you've got a soldering iron. On mine, if you looked closely, you could see hairline cracks on the solder joints, fairly common actually. Since then, at least while I had the bike, no problems.

• 1 month later...
I had the same problem on my previous '87. I ended up having to take the compressor controller apart and resolder the connections to the connector, pretty easy to do if you've got a soldering iron. On mine, if you looked closely, you could see hairline cracks on the solder joints, fairly common actually. Since then, at least while I had the bike, no problems.

So, I assume you're talking about the electronic component on the fairing, right?

I recently had an E1 code pop up on my onboard air compressor computer screen.

I went over the old threads and read them. I wanted to thank FREEBIRD for the

detailed explanation.

AND IT WORKED!!!!

I wound up pulling the connector off and cleaning the terminals with contact spray.

Still no success.

Then I turned the connector in a clockwise manner, BAM. It worked perfectly.

THANKS MUCH,

THIS SITE IS AWESOME,

:301:

Steve

Hey Steve, you mean turn the harness connector clockwise like one revolution? What does this do for the connection? I don't get it.

The pins on the main connector block on the fairing mounted controller develop micro cracks and/or micro-corrosion on the pins and create an intermittent that creates these problems.

Resoldering the pins resolves these issues.

The "turning" of the connector.. I'm sure refers to twisting the connector in ONE dorection to load the pins and get better contact... a temperary fix that points to the need to open the unit and resolder the pins... reheat the PINS... not the solder pad... the pins develop a crystaline surface corrosion and reheating the pad does nothing to resolve the issue... reheat the PINS and the crytsaline structure breaks down and the solder reattaches to the pin.

The "turning" of the connector.. I'm sure refers to twisting the connector in ONE direction to load the pins and get better contact...

Yeah. Many times you'll be able to get the connector to make all the contact needed for normal operation by pushing or twisting, but this really does show that these connections are a problem.

Until I repaired my first board (on my '86), I used to hold the connector in special way to get the system to fire up properly - every time I went to ride the bike. Eventually this stopped working too.