IGNORED

Timing chain tension

a1bummer

Does the timing chain tensioner on the 83-93 VR's ever need adjusting? I would assume it does it automaticly. If it dosen't do it on its own, how do you know if it needs to be adjusted? Would it make any noise or just run different? There isn't a lot of info in the manuals.

Don't take the tensioner off unless you absolutley need too (leak), they are a pain to get back on. Hard enough when the motor was on the ground let alone in the bike.

If it comes off you have to back it off by loosening it but as you press it into place you can not stop untill it is seated and bolted. AS it will tighten as you try to seat it.

Have heard these were problems when they first came out but I think there pretty good, on the first gens. Also if you hear adjusting I think you will have a problem.

BRad

Ya, it looks like they are real similar to the tensioner used in the Mitsubishi engines in the old Mazda pickups. I've just been trying to figure out what has been making the annoying noise somewhere on my bike. At first I thought maybe I spun a bearing. But I think I would hear the noise all the time and would have oil pressure problems. What would a loose baffle inside the exhaust sound like?

I haven't tried that yet. It doesn't always make the noise. I think that if it was a bearing or something, it would always make the noise. Is there something else I should look at before taking off my exhaust collector to cut her open? I swapped in a spare engine a few weeks ago because I thought there was some terribly wrong. With the new engine, I hear it again. Either I have really crappy luck, or it wasn't the engine.

:bang head: