IGNORED

Trunk Lid Organizer? Alternative?

RoadKill

They sell these on ebay, about $50 I think. Anyone made their own? I have been trying to keep my eye out for something that might work. Thought about a visor organizer made for car/truck and then use super velcro to lid. Even a net of some sort would be nice. Place for maps and such.

Give some ideas.

Thanks,

Place for maps and such.

Give some ideas.

Thanks,

Maps???? Who needs stinkin' maps??? :sign just kidding:

Actually, I was thinking the same about a visor organizer and velcro. Have not done anything yet tho. My wife got me a trunk bag from CruiserCustomizing for anniversary and have used it because of pockets on the sides.

Was wanting the same thing.

Saw one on a Harley Road King that is sold by Harley. The NAVIGATOR and I thought it would be a nice addition to the trunk lid.

We looked at some for luggage bags made by Samsonite.

They are small and would work.

But we would not be able to put our helmets in the trunk and close it.

Then there is that little pouch that is in the back of the trunk and thought I would talk to the guy that does the leather work that posted here before the CRASH of 06.

I do not remember his handle so I am hoping he posts again.

I was hoping to get him to make me a windshield & trunk bag.

We know what we would like and the sizes.

We think it will be a great addition to the bike for more storage.

The only other alternative if we cannot do all of that is to buy a ROAD KING trunk bag and mount it on the RSV and that is not acceptable for now......Ron:cool10:

Actually, I was thinking the same about a visor organizer and velcro. Have not done anything yet tho. My wife got me a trunk bag from CruiserCustomizing for anniversary and have used it because of pockets on the sides.

I have looked at some visor organizors, but not seen one that tickles my fancy yet.

The helmet issue is not a problem for us as we never put our helmets in there.

I added a car organizer to the "right side" of my trunk for maps and bike registration, and I can still put both helmets in the trunk.

I used velcro to hold it in, and it works fine for me.

Since then, I purchased a Utopia back rest, and the back rest has the pouch on the back of it.

Now I just put my maps in it, and the trunk organizer has a couple of ink pens, bike registration, and a package of "handi-wipes" in it...

I added a car organizer to the "right side" of my trunk for maps and bike registration, and I can still put both helmets in the trunk.

Since then, I purchased a Utopia back rest, and the back rest has the pouch on the back of it.

Now I just put my maps in it, and the trunk organizer has a couple of ink pens, bike registration, and a package of "handi-wipes" in it...

Could you post a picture of what you used?

Thanks,

Eck, are your helmets fullfaced, 3/4, or 1/2, because with our full face helmets there is no room left on the sides or top, in fact I have to press down on the lid to make sure it latches when the helmets are in there.

Could you post a picture of what you used?

Thanks,

I will have to take a picture and post it later tonight when I get home from work.

SleeperHawk, I have both type of helmets and both fit in the trunk.

Dont go thinking the divider I have is real large now...

It is of the same type of organizer that is mounted to the inside rear edge of an 05 Venture trunk.......made from fabric..

I dont have it "packed" with a bunch of junk either...

elatively cheap alternative would be to pick up a leather belly bag at a flea market. You know the ones with the straps that go around your waist. Cut off the straps , velcro on the back and a piece on the inside of the trunk lid and voila, a zippered carrier that will hold your wallett, a map whatever. I cut the straps off the one I picked up , sewed some rare earth magnets into where the straps were and stuck it on the gas tank on my trip down south. Held my passport, wallet mp3 player etcclose to hand and it didn't move an inch at 70 - 75 mph. Total cost about 8 bucks CDN.

elatively cheap alternative would be to pick up a leather belly bag at a flea market. You know the ones with the straps that go around your waist. Cut off the straps , velcro on the back and a piece on the inside of the trunk lid and voila, a zippered carrier that will hold your wallett, a map whatever. I cut the straps off the one I picked up , sewed some rare earth magnets into where the straps were and stuck it on the gas tank on my trip down south. Held my passport, wallet mp3 player etcclose to hand and it didn't move an inch at 70 - 75 mph. Total cost about 8 bucks CDN.

When you say Belly bag is that the same as a Fanny Pack? That's what I'm picturing from your description. I may have to try that.

Thanks for the idea.

Now that's a good idea and fits my price range!

The only other alternative if we cannot do all of that is to buy a ROAD KING trunk bag and mount it on the RSV and that is not acceptable for now......Ron:cool10:

If you have a trunk rack, you can cut a piece of aluminum to fit inside the trunk with holes matched to your rack mounting screws (you might need longer screws). Then take a Wally-World seat-back organizer and pop rivet it (or install snaps) to the aluminum and screw it to the top of your trunk. A friend did that for his Electra-Slide and then moved it when he changed to a RoadGlide. He didn't want to pay HD's price for the organizer!

I plan to do that when I mount the trunk rack on my 1st Gen. Now I'm just using two visor organizers on the sides held with double stick tape. The best I've found is 3-M car moulding and trim tape. There is also always Monkey Snot (3-M weatherstrip adhesive) that will hold to most anything!

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and bought one of the lid organizers on eBay, from a guy someplace in western Canada. Was right around $50 with shipping. Installation took under 5 minutes, and I can fit a HJC half bucket and my wifes 3/4 in the trunk with no problems. Has one zipper pouch and two velcro closure pouches, plus a little mirror to check for helmet hair, if you have any left. I consider it a great deal, FWTW...

Badger:sign I dont agree:

Had no problem with them, although I was afraid I might in the summer heat here in Arizona. I put the tape pieces up on the inside of the trunklid and there they stay to this day (4 months +). I did not try any repositioning. If you did, because of incorrect spacing or whatever, that could be the source of your problem. Maybe new tape is in order?

Badger

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with the trunk only being able to set 2 helmets in with no room for anything else. I thought about an organizer for a while but came up with a better idea."SO"here's what I did .I mounted a helmet lock on my saddle bag front crash bars on both sides for the driver and passenger to lock their helmets up and the trunk is free . Works for me .

I use one of those visor ones, That has part of it netting.Used velcro , But in the summer heat it did not want to stick. So after many tries I took the bolts out of the trunk rack an bolted though that with a little bit of silecone to help seal it up.Works good for small stuff, papers reg. card etc....Helmets still fit, But I installed two locks like the Gold Wings have under their trunk. An love the crap out of them. They are cheap an easy to intall.For more info. on the locks or install just ask me . Mr.Holloween:witch_brew:

I put one simular to the one shown below in my trunk...

I purchased it at Wlly world... for about 9 bucks...

I glued velcro on the back side, and also onto the side wall of my trunk to hold it in place..Works great...and it was cheap!

Sun Visor Organizerhttp://www.smith-system.com/images/30x10.gif

http://www.smith-system.com/images/Wallet.jpg

It features:

• a zippered pocket for storing maps
  • place for registration information
  • an eyeglass pocket,
  • a pen pocket and
  • a small zippered change pocket.

Made of durable vinylized rayon canvas and measures 12” wide x 6” high

I use one of those visor ones, That has part of it netting.Used velcro , But in the summer heat it did not want to stick. So after many tries I took the bolts out of the trunk rack an bolted though that with a little bit of silecone to help seal it up.Works good for small stuff, papers reg. card etc....Helmets still fit, But I installed two locks like the Gold Wings have under their trunk. An love the crap out of them. They are cheap an easy to intall.For more info. on the locks or install just ask me . Mr.Holloween:witch_brew:

What locks are you talking about?:2143: