IGNORED

Late For Work

GlennTuc

Well, I now have my own embarrassing moment I swore would not happen to me. My wife woke me up at 5 AM, which is about 40 minutes late, and asked me if I was going to work. I immediately jumped out of bed and cursed the alarm clock (which I forgot to set) and went about my business of getting ready to go, in a hurry. I grabbed my lunch out of the fridge and headed out to the garage and boarded my brand new 08 RSV. Of course, being the reliable scoot that they are, it fired right up and I was on my way. All went well for the first seven miles, till I got to the last stop light before getting on I-24. I still had another 23 miles to ride. While waiting for the light to turn green, my trusty RSV just quit running. I stared at the instrument panel in amazement and wonder and thought what the @!#%$ is wrong with this thing. It has always ran perfect! Of course it only has 2000 miles on it, but it has been a very dependable 2000 miles. When I hit the start button, all the lights would come on like they should but the starter would not even turn over. I pushed the bike over to the side of the road and the only thing I could think of is a bad fuse. I proceded to take the battery cover off and about that time a fellow on a Star rode up and offered to help. I told him my problem as I continued to remove the seat. Just as I lifted the seat off, he told me to try to start it now. I turned the key on, hit the start button and it fired off before it made a complete rotation. Amazing I thought. It must have been a coupling loose under the seat and when I removed the seat it jarred it enough to make contact. No, that wasn't it the Star rider informed me. All he did was turn the kill switch OFF!!!!! Well I be !@#$#!@@$#@. And I'm already late for work too. EMBARRASSING!!!!!! I made it to work with no other problems other than being later.

Glenn

Been there done that. Hit accidentally wih oversized winter gloves doing 70 on expressway. Engine died, like run out of gas. Call brad, and Don and 15 min going trough troubleshooting.....and just before disasembling lower cowling Kill Switch cut my attention...$#!@.

Welcome to a club.

Just dont hit it running down the highway about 75 and turn it off...It will scare the &^$^ out of you! BIG BACKFIRE!! I accidentally did that now I keep my fat fingers off that switch. Tom

I hit it so often that I'm not going to believe it when the bike actually quits. I guess being a fairly new rider helped the first few times as I just worked my way through the starting process I learned in MSF course. I always found the switch issue.

Now I know immediately what I have done.

Guest Swifty
Well, I now have my own embarrassing moment I swore would not happen to me. My wife woke me up at 5 AM, which is about 40 minutes late, and asked me if I was going to work. I immediately jumped out of bed and cursed the alarm clock (which I forgot to set) and went about my business of getting ready to go, in a hurry. I grabbed my lunch out of the fridge and headed out to the garage and boarded my brand new 08 RSV. Of course, being the reliable scoot that they are, it fired right up and I was on my way. All went well for the first seven miles, ............

...right about there, I said to myself, oh boy, here comes a kill switch story,... but it got really funny when I knew another rider was going to solve the problem. Good one on ya, Glenn.

Can't say that I have ever done that :whistling::whistling::whistling:

I went under the faring and cut the wires and twisted them together. No more problem.

When I as younger, the guys I rode with were big on flipping the switch when you

were parked and not looking. Big laugh when you couldn't get the bike to start so that's

the first thing I check when someone's bike won't start.

Jerry

I learned about the kill switch in a wierd way. A buddy took my bike for a short test ride. After he left I tried to pull it into the driveway. Nothing. Zip. Dead!!

Found out later my buddy always used the kill switch when he stopped instead of the key. Now I've hit is so many times that it is just instinctive to check it whenever the bike balks or sputters while riding.

Add me to that list too....as other members stated, when a problem arises with starting my first glance is at the kill switch and every time that was the cause.... I've wondered why they're on the bike in the first place..

There are two kinds of riders...those who have already done the kill switch boogie and those who WILL ! Now you have joined the club, and you are a wiser person for the "joining"!!

Ride safe!

POLEDAR:080402gudl_prv:

Just dont hit it running down the highway about 75 and turn it off...It will scare the &^$^ out of you! BIG BACKFIRE!! I accidentally did that now I keep my fat fingers off that switch. Tom

I can attest to that. I was coasting down a hill thru town and I have no idea how I hit the kill switch, but evidently I did and when I went to give it some gas, nothing. But, I did have the presence of mind to look at the switch and when I flipped it. It is a wonder it did not blow both my mufflers off.

RandyA

Many years ago I was a professional rider / courier in London, working out of a base in the East End in the middle of the busy Wentworth Street market (well, it was busy twenty years or so ago). Some time mid morning I came out of the office with a list of jobs to pick up and jumped on to my trusty GS250T (great little bikes if you looked after them and good on petrol...). I was parked in a confined space, so once I had thumbed the starter buton had to turn it 180' on full lock (feet up, of course, I was a professional rider before accelerating off up the road....

Except those old bikes had a separate steering lock on the bottom yoke (triple tree to you, my colonial friends) which was still engaged. There were of course several people watching. Laugh - they nearly cried. Mind you, we all laughed at another friend who used to ride around London on a 1000 Guzzi wearing steel toe capped boots. No problem you might say, until the time a mini pulled up next to him at the lights and parked on his foot. Because of the boots he didn't notice. Well not until the traffic lights changed and he dropped the clutch and shot across, well shot partly - a very small part of the way across the junction.

• 1 month later...
Guest FFMCPres

Other than being a victim of the "flip the switch while he isn't looking gag" (I've done it too cause I'm just as lame as my buddies) I haven't overlooked that on my own as an adult rider.

My problem is that I can never seem to remember to turn the dang gas on.

So in case you're wondering, with about a 30 second warm up and a gentle roll on a cold motor, your bike ought to go around a half mile before it dies and you have to reach down and twist the petcock. "Actual performance may vary...blah blah blah"

:happy34: