IGNORED

Incredible Roads in and around Grand Junction

Kandaje

Greetings...

If you are just passing through, or staying in the area for a few days, Here's a list of some of the more OUT-OF-THE-WAY roads that you'll definately want to ride on. Some short, some long -- but all fun. If Your definition of fun is winding, twisty turns, 180 degree climbing and diving hairpins intermingled with long flat out straightaways.

Once you've done the Tourist roads - The Grand Mesa, The CO Nat Monument, etc, You might want to check out these smaller shorter drives. So fire up Google maps in another tab, center on Grand Junction, and find these roads!

The Debeque Cut-off, 45 1/2 rd: (about 20 miles)

Runs from the I-70 Debeque exit (heading south) to hwy 65 near the town of Mesa. From there you can either go up over the Grand Mesa if you are headed further south like Delta or Montrose, or head back down to I-70 if you are headed to points west of Grand Junction. Normally clean, new pavement, lots of truck traffic during the day, but after rush minute, is usually deserted near sundown. You could also continue up Hwy 330 through Colbran then up to Vega Reservoir, or even explore the many back roads going up over or even around the Grand Mesa from there!

Reeder Mesa Road: (about 20 miles)

Runs from Hwy 50 in WhiteWater to Lands End then Kannah Creek rd which comes out further down Hwy 50 just before county line. A shorter very fun road, normally deserted, new pavement, very curvy climbing and diving hairpins, watch out for wild life, rocks and mud on the curves. This IS working ranch country!

Hwy 141, WhiteWater to GateWay, AKA Unaweep Canyon: (about 35 Miles)

Incredible Scenery, long sweeping banked curves, beware the wildlife! Some hours in the mornings and twilight, I have seen roaming gangs of deer and elk all over the road and fields. Not to mention the domesticated cattle and sheep! Lots of places to pull over and take pictures. Scattered ranches. Go to the Gateway Auto museum once you get there!

Little Park Road: (about 20 miles or more depending) :

Tourists that want to drive the Co Nat Monument usually go up Monument road off of broadway, pay $5 at the Government toll booth, and end up in Fruita after an hour of stop and go construction traffic. Not a lot of fun if your bike is over heating, dodging stupid tourist children and dogs running out in the road. Those of us who live here, know that telling the Government Toll Booth operator that you are heading up to Glade Park - saves you the $5, but the really adventurous bypass the toll booth altogether and go up Little Park Road to Glade Park. It begins with a long steep climb up to the 'Moon', a huge slickrock area that you can see from GJ, to DS road - The main road up on Glade Park. From there, you can turn left and head to the Glade Park store (the only one there!) for a cold beverage. From there you have a choice of 4 directions. Head east (left turn) to go to the fruita reservoirs in a 30 mile dirt road loop back to DS road, head south and explore the ranch country - You may even find "The Pot Holes" A local waterfall where we usually lose 2 or 3 drunks a year who think they are in Mexico cliff diving; Head West back to the Monument road, or north back down to GJ...

East Orchard Mesa: (about 12 Miles)

From 32 Rd & C 1/2 rd half way up the 32 rd bridge hill to 38 rd in Palisade.

This is the 'Fun' shortcut if you are changing from I-70w to Hwy 50s. Directly off I-70w, take the 1st Palisade exit right out of Debeque canyon before you cross the river - then turn left again at the base of the Palisade bridge (hwy 6) up 38 rd. In other words - don't cross the river! It's definately NOT the fastest. It's a slow pleasent country drive through the fruit orchards and wineries. During August - you'll be lucky to make it in 3 hours with all the fruit stand stops and winery tastings! Short half mile straights with 90 degree turns that follows above the Colorado River through our most fruitful and bountiful.

West Elk Loop: Hwy 92 from Hotchkiss to Blue Mesa Reservoir: (About 50 Miles) Then Hwy 50 to Gunnison, then Hwy 135 up through Crested Butte up to the Paonia State park Hwy 133 ( about 100 Miles) From there, you can either head west back to Hotchkiss, or Go east to Carbondale over the pass. Doing the entire West Elk loop from GJ is an entire day trip! Getting there is half the fun! The tourist cage traffic is almost non-existent with gas being so expensive - Lots of FREE camping areas, rest stops and some of the most incredible scenery you will ever see. The tourists head over to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison where they willingly PAY Government vacation tax - This road is basicly the NEXT Canyon over - sans tourists and taxes.

If Winding mountain roads, steep passes, and little to none cage traffic, spiced up with snow covered mountains, steep deep dark canyons, breezing along a mountain creek, are your idea of Ideal motorcycle driving - You can't beat the West Elk Loop...

• 10 years later...

--

Being a summertime resident of Grand Junction, I do know all the roads listed in this thread. If you go to the main Motorcycleroads.com website, you can click on any of the routes around there for more detail and photos. Here is one of the routes listed along with a lot of the photos I take of all these routes:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/2130/Colorado/De-Beque-Cuttoff---455-Road.html#sthash.cTDI3sqh.dpbs

--

--

Being a summertime resident of Grand Junction, I do know all the roads listed in this thread. If you go to the main Motorcycleroads.com website, you can click on any of the routes around there for more detail and photos. Here is one of the routes listed along with a lot of the photos I take of all these routes:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/2130/Colorado/De-Beque-Cuttoff---455-Road.html#sthash.cTDI3sqh.dpbs

--

I use that site all the time. Great info!