IGNORED

camper trailer

george c

dos anyone pull a camper trailer with there RSV??

if so what kind do you have and how dos it pull

dos it pull heavy or sway?

:detective: inquiring minds want"s to know :feedback:

George C.

George,Ramblingman pulls a camper,pulled it all over the USA and Western canada last year,came to see us in Texas and I asked him and he just said use alot of COMMON SENSE and no troubleat all..I would think just guesssing he had counting trailer weight 650LBS. No trouble he said pulling it at all.I pull a Aluma MCT trailer but it is omly 175lbs mty and heaviest I have had it is about 350lbs,no problem

Guest divey

Try this website www.tinymite.ca. They had one of these tent trailers at the bike show this winter and I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with the roominess. Queen sized bed plus a little sitting area to boot. Weighs 250 lbs empty.

Doug

George C.

We pull a Bunkhouse. As long as the tongue weight is between not over 30lb, it pulls like a dream. Notice the weight of the trailer and contents mostly under hard braking....notice it a little pulling away from a stop, but not much. Never sways!

The RSV has no problem pulling it, along with the combined weight of myself and my wife. Bike in the pix is our old bike.

The bunkhouse and my aspen are basically the same ....my weight is around 350 empty and depends what you want to throw inside of it ....hitch weight around 25 ...but it pulls easy and like Tom said ...use a lot of common sense when your pulling it ....I stay away from traffic and don't be in a hurry with it ...I went though the mountains in BC is pouring down rain and didn't have a problem ...It's been a very good investment ...under normal circumstances I use it at least 5 times during the summer months!...Last year it went over 20,000 k's with me !!

George C.

I pull a "Time Out" and while moving down the road I don't know it's there, but like others, when you start up and stop you know it is there. I'm pulling between 4 and 5 hundred pounds. I have the extra 12x12 screen room with mine.

I'm having my bike "triked" now, so I don't know how much difference it will be.

Ken

Hey Christo, that looks like quite a good tent - or folding camper, as it would be described here (the difference is that it looks as if justs folds out, whereas a trailer tent needs to be pegged down), but it occurs that it has the same problem as our last trailer tent. The picture at the top of the homepage shows the wheels an awful long way back on the trailer. Even without the extra luggage box on the drawbar (and how many clothes could your missus put in there ?) it might be a lot of nose weight - enough to take all the movement out of your back shock, perhaps ?

Could the suspension be moved forwards a few inches ? Would you want to but new and then have to make changes, though ?

I have a bunkhouse. It is a bit heavy but tows good. Nice big bed and easy access to plenty of storage space. The leisure-lite and others like it have a quick set up but I wonder what you folks do with your goodies once you are set up?

If I really had the money I would get a Rolla-home with the big bed option. This is a quick set up like the leisure-lite but also has storage under the bed.

Hey Christo, that looks like quite a good tent - or folding camper, as it would be described here (the difference is that it looks as if justs folds out, whereas a trailer tent needs to be pegged down), but it occurs that it has the same problem as our last trailer tent. The picture at the top of the homepage shows the wheels an awful long way back on the trailer. Even without the extra luggage box on the drawbar (and how many clothes could your missus put in there ?) it might be a lot of nose weight - enough to take all the movement out of your back shock, perhaps ?

Yeah - you make a good point, the tongue weight might be a tad heavy, I will have to investigate that further.

Could the suspension be moved forwards a few inches ? Would you want to but new and then have to make changes, though ?

Yeah, do NOT need more work! :doh:

Guest tx2sturgis
The picture at the top of the homepage shows the wheels an awful long way back on the trailer...........

Not a good idea. On a motorcycle trailer, the distance from the coupler to the axle is supposed to be about 1.5 times the distance between the wheels. I assume the maker has set the measurements correctly. If you shorten the coupler to axle distance too much, the trailer will be prone to sway, which is never a good thing, especially on a bike.

:7_6_3[1]:Hi George,

I just returned from my 6000 mile plus round trip to NY from AZ pulling my Time Out Camper trailer. Everywhere I went people could not believe the room there is in this camper and the amenitys it offered. All of the camper is off the ground so heavy rain, like I had in Virginia and New York does not get in. Follow the directions that come with the trailer and seal the seams well and it will not let a drop in even during the heaviest rain.

I pulled it with my RSV 2007 at freeway speeds and it never wobbled or swayed a bit. I had "bearing buddies" installed when I bought it and they greased the bearings all the way to NY. I pumped in some grease before I left NY and came all the way back with no problems and the tires hardly look like they have been used.

This was the first time I have ever pulled a trailer with a motorcycle and I was very apprehensive at first. I did not have trailer brakes installed on my trailer. I took some parking lot practice before I left and obeyed the common sense rules of "trailering" and never had a problem. Even the truckers tend to give you some room and by the way when they went by me at 90 the trailer seemed to stabilize my bike and keep me from being buffetted all over the place.

I highly reccommend this camper trailer. It is well made and very attractive. It weighs a bit more than the fiberglass models that are out there, but it is more economically priced and has more room plus the "off the ground" feature. I also believe that this helps the stability on the road. I hauled this trailer into some hellacious camping areas including over heavy gravel and over some pretty good holes in the road, so I know that it is well built. I bought all the bells and whistles on my Time Out and I suggest that anyone do the same, but you can buy the basic unit and add all the bells and whistles as you go.

Here is the website and if you want to call them, you will find them very friendly and willing to answer all your questions. http://timeouttrailers.org/default.aspx

I hope this information will help you make up your mind. I researched all the available campers before I bought this and I have not been disappointed.

Regards,

John

• 2 months later...

I was actually at the manufacturers location in Osoyoos BC Tuesday and the claimed tongue weight is a whopping 23 lbs I picked it up and it sure felt like it. Loading the trailer properly will maintain the weight...

Instead of towing the camper behind the bike, with all that wear and tear on our wonderful RSV's, maybe we should all be looking at one of these:

http://www.startracksmotorsports.com/thundersideload.html

or this one: http://tinyurl.com/62rj9t

or better yet: http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/bounty-hunter/381b.htm

:rotf::rotf::doh::confused24::thumbsup:

I know we want to travel to other parts of the country and hit local roads like the Blue Ridge mountains or Tail of the Dragon. Heck I want to hit the Florida Keys someday. I have thought about renting one of those motor homes with bike garages a few times. They look a very comfortable way to travel and then enjoy a few days of riding.

Instead of towing the camper behind the bike, with all that wear and tear on our wonderful RSV's, maybe we should all be looking at one of these:

http://www.startracksmotorsports.com/thundersideload.html

or this one: http://tinyurl.com/62rj9t

or better yet: http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/bounty-hunter/381b.htm

:rotf::rotf::doh::confused24::thumbsup:

You sure you might not want this one???

http://www3.telus.net/drbar/pics/img-feat-0702newmar1.jpg

Edited by dr_bar