IGNORED

Lowering my bike

larrysyner

Hi everybody,

I need some of your knowledge and opinions folks. I have a stock 07 RSV. I'm 5'7" and I'm on my tips of my toes when I stop. I spoke with the yamaha dealer and they said there is a lower kit, but it only lowers it 1 inch. I've read the past thread about seat height, but is there a lower kit that will drop the bike 2 inchs? Basically, I need at two inches...any thoughts, ideas. I really love my bike and was planning keeping it until it died, but if I can't resolve the height of the bike issue, I'm not going to be able to keep it...it's just too tall for me.

Larry

Lowering kit on rear, move forks up 1in in front, cut seat down and narrow, or corbin seat, boots with thick soles and heels, that ought to get you a bit more comfortable, I am only 5'5" still have my bike completely stock, only problems I have are loose gravel, and backing up:whistling: You can adapt to it. :080402gudl_prv: Craig

Lowering the front end is free, I have lowered mine and plan to lower the rear this fall. I am thinking I will have to shorten the side stand when I do that. Lowering the front takes a little time, but is not hard to do. The back looks like getting the weight off the rear tire and remove a couple of bolts and swap out the parts. You may have to remove the rear tire to install the caliper reloation kit.

Guest BluesLover
Some of the guys have modified their seat as well. Seems they narrowed it and it really helped.
I would be one of those guys. I'm 5' 7" (on a good day), and by having an inch of foam taken off each of the sides of the seat, I can flat foot the bike with no problems at all.

It is not expensive to do (cost me CDN$100 to have mine done), doesn't alter the bike's configuration at all, and cosmetically I don't think anybody could actually tell a difference in the seat.

Cheers,

I am 5' 4"...before I even took the bike out of the shop when I first bought it I took the seat to Upholstery shop who specializes in motor vehicles. I had 1 1/2" of foam removed and added a 1/2" gel pad for the loss of foam. The ride is still more then comfortable. Further to that, I lowered the front end by 1". This way, I take full advantage of the lower seat on my bike and get the added bike control at low speed. I believe there is a How To with pics in the tech section on this. Well worth doing.

Now I can put both feet on the ground solidly.

Cheers

Larry,

You need to get a hold of Rick Butler, (butt butler) and he will take care of your seat for you, while putting comfort back in for you.

Quite a number of members here have had their seat reworked by him.

Think he still has an add in the classifieds.

Steve

Guest BluesLover
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate. One last question for those who have had their seats modified. Does this take the comfort out of the seat?

Thanks again,

Larry

Absolutely not! I rode from Hampton Beach to home (1,100 kms) last Father's Day in about 12 hours. I thought my butt (and my back) would be "dead" the following day ... but zip, zilch, nada - I was good to go again the next day.

Cheers,

Larry,

You need to get a hold of Rick Butler, (butt butler) and he will take care of your seat for you, while putting comfort back in for you.

Quite a number of members here have had their seat reworked by him.

Think he still has an add in the classifieds.

Steve

Yep what Steve said, get in touch with Rick he does a great job and he has a quick turnaround, Craig

Larry,

I would certainly endorse lowering your front by sliding the forks up in the triple trees and I can fix your seat (after July 4th) , where I assume that you have a pillow top. I can get the seat an inch lower and still maintain the foundation foam before running into the point that the seat meets the rear fender..

Later,

Rick

Edited by Rick Butler

Guest rsvrider

I further endorse Rick Butler and his ability to modify the seat. He did an excellent job with mine and must say this is more comfortable than the stock, which I thought was already really comfortable. I am 5' 5" and am at the ball of my feet. I have only had this bike for 3 weeks and am becoming more comfortable as I get to know her more. My ability to move walk the bike backwards/forwards is getting better. One thought, having legs stretched for a flat foot is okay, but I'm thinking lowering the front as mentioned here may help provide a more "solid" feeling at stops. If this bike is going over, I seriously doubt I could stop it no matter how flat on the ground my feet are. I have come close a couple times, once with my wife on the back, man, all I could do and grunting to regain straight again, whew!

Kudos to Rick Butler!!