IGNORED

Got Carbs??

tooldood

Scott, What's wrong with the set you have now???

I have a bike I picked up that had been sitting for about 4 years. I couldn't get it running and finally found a mechanic that works on the old stuff. He went thru the carbs and said they need to be re-built. With what he wants for parts and labor, I thought I'd see if I could find a set... or I'll have to sell the project bike for someone else's project.

I have a bike I picked up that had been sitting for about 4 years. I couldn't get it running and finally found a mechanic that works on the old stuff. He went thru the carbs and said they need to be re-built. With what he wants for parts and labor, I thought I'd see if I could find a set... or I'll have to sell the project bike for someone else's project.

That gripes me to no end!! Seems like every time a mechanic looks at a set of Venture carbs, the first words out of their mouth is 'they need to be rebuilt'... And of course they want a ton to do it. Did he tell you what was bad? I can understand if the diaphragms are tore up, but every one I've looked at is usually good or has a few small pin holes. I think I remember one that I may have found torn at a crease. I just repaired a set of phragms that were pin holed. Used Plasti-Dip rubberized spray, and they came out like new. Very easy to do. The rest of the carb usually just needs a good cleaning. Straight Sea-Foam in the bowls while cranking the motor generally get's the job done after a 24hrs soak... Generally if the bike has been sitting for a couple of years the carbs are just gummed up. Give it a try... just think of all the money you'll save. :)

Edited by Condor

It gripes me too... but he was pretty specific. He said the seals and rings(?) were all shot and the needles were pitted and corroded and it looked almost like coolant in the bowls as the fuel was discolored and almost green...

It gripes me too... but he was pretty specific. He said the seals and rings(?) were all shot and the needles were pitted and corroded and it looked almost like coolant in the bowls as the fuel was discolored and almost green...

Did he show you the parts that were bad?? 'O' rings and seals are available thru Yamaha. I'd keep an eye out on Ebay for a set of doggy looking carbs for parts etc. I've seen them go for very little money when they're ugly. I've picked up a couple of extra parts sets that I can scavage off of for $40-$50. OR bite the bullet and pick up a good set, but they'll usually go for $150-$200 bucks. How about Klaus...does he have anything??

Sorry it took me so long to answer Jack...

I just got back from taking Cody (our 18 yr old) to Pensacola FL to start working his way thru college.

The answer is no, I haven't seen the carbs taken apart at the shop, it has just been over the phone. I'm back now and will be draggin' my butt over there to have a look and talk to the mechanic. The first thing now tho is to pay Klaus for fixing my Jeep which the water pump deciced to puke the night before I left for Florida...

Man, it's always somethin'!!!