Hi,

my friend with XVZ13 Venture has following problem:

his motorcycle is lugging at acceleration from 2000 - 2500RPM to full throttle

values from dynojet (gauged at 37.500 mil, now drived 38.000 mil):

- 95 nm

- 77 HP

Others data:

- compression: 13 - 14 atm

- new carburettor membranes (main and acceleration)

- new plugs

- new filters (fuel, air)

- underpressure OK

- exhaust gas oxygen sensor 1,100 +-

- CO2 1,2

:confused24:

Any ideas are welcome.

Best regards,

Jarda Horak

Is this in every gear through those ranges?

Reason I ask is that the common problem most new to the Venture experience is trying to run in too high a gear which will give you that Lugging feeling. So when you down shift........."You've lost that Lugging feeling, whoooaa, that Lugging feeling"

Sorry couldn't resist.

After following the advice of many here on this Forum I can assure you that my Venture no longer "lugs" in any gear....This bike loves the higher RPM's in every gear and that's all there is to it. :cool10:

Wind it up and let her rip!!!:)

Regards......Boomer

Hi,

values from dynojet (gauged at 37.500 mil, now drived 38.000 mil):

- 95 nm

- 77 HP

Others data:

- compression: 13 - 14 atm

- new carburettor membranes (main and acceleration)

- new plugs

- new filters (fuel, air)

- underpressure OK

- exhaust gas oxygen sensor 1,100 +-

- CO2 1,2

:confused24:

Any ideas are welcome.

Best regards,

Jarda Horak

Yes!!, Down shift, Open throttle, and Hang ON !!!!!!!

Its Not a Harley !!!!!

When seeing CO2(Carbone Dioxide) in your Post as CO(Carbone Monoxide), 1.2 Vol% is less than expected. As a first Test, set it at 3 to 3.5 Percent by adjusting the Mixture Screws beneath the Diaphragm Bowls. There are small 6 mm Bolts on every Down pipe, so you can adjust each Carb separate.

Second, check the Vacuum Sensor for Function.

Report back the Results so far.

Hi,

Any ideas are welcome.

Best regards,

Jarda Horak

You have just described normal operation for this V4 engine/drive train. 2,500 RPM is too low for full throttle operation in ANY gear, but especially the upper ones. IMHO you should never crack it wide open until over 3,000 RPM, and 4,000 is much better!

Like someone else said - downshift (two or three times) and RIDE! Quit acting like you have a paint shaker (HD). :080402gudl_prv:

He won't know how to ride this bike or what it has "under the hood" until he raps it out in second and third gears and hits the rev limiter. But he needs to make sure he has some open space for third - he'll be about 97 MPH when he feels the limiter hit.

Goose

That rev limiter really caught me by surprise when I first found it!!! For a second or 2 I thought bad thoughts. Now I know though. I'm still bad to lug my bike in 5th but I never roll the throttle hard when in high gear. Well, except when I'm really letting the breeze blow by. LOL

You have just described normal operation for this V4 engine/drive train. 2,500 RPM is too low for full throttle operation in ANY gear, but especially the upper ones. IMHO you should never crack it wide open until over 3,000 RPM, and 4,000 is much better!

Like someone else said - downshift (two or three times) and RIDE! Quit acting like you have a paint shaker (HD). :080402gudl_prv:

WOW! I have impressed myself. :thumbsup: I must actually be learning something here:cool10: Can't believe I may have given the right answer. Look out now, I may gain confidence and actually start responding to technical questions.:no-no-no:

• 7 years later...

I made a mini set of truck nutz out of billet for my 83 just to worn the sports bike riders . love hunting them then embarrassing them lol . the venture wasn't sold hear in oz so they have know idea what it has till there seeing the nutz swinging in the breezenutz.jpg

Edited by hell yea
add pick

I made a mini set of truck nutz out of billet for my 83 just to worn the sports bike riders . love hunting them then embarrassing them lol . the venture wasn't sold hear in oz so they have know idea what it has till there seeing the nutz swinging in the breeze[ATTACH=CONFIG]101477[/ATTACH]

I wouldn't hang them on my scoot,,,, it's kind of like trying to tell people that's all I have, just what's hanging there and that's why I have to show you,,,, I'd much sooner surprise them with a demonstration if needed,,, and that leaves a lasting impression.!.

they get the demostracion all right.there for the bike not me. its meant as a challenge and it works a treat . no need to get personal. if you don't get what its about than you just wont. pointless trying to explain it to you and again don't get personal mate

ps i also have a vmax and a royal star.tc so the ventcher isnt all i have. like i said they weren't sold hear so generally no one hear knows how quick they are .and ridden properly

she upsets the hell out of the sports bike crue which was kind of my pint

I wouldn't hang them on my scoot,,,, it's kind of like trying to tell people that's all I have, just what's hanging there and that's why I have to show you,,,, I'd much sooner surprise them with a demonstration if needed,,, and that leaves a lasting impression.!. on a spider realy :) have you ever owned a first gen ?

Hi,

try setting the mixture screws at about 2 terns out take it for a ride and see how it runs you can fine tune them on an exhaust analyzer if you have access to one

when the diaphragms are damaged quite often people will play with the mixture screws generally winding them in so worthwhile checking them.

Edited by hell yea
add link