IGNORED

Oil level

Reshired

Most of us know what the owners manuel says but someone I respect said that it was wrong and that you should put only 3.3-3.5 quarts of oil back in after a change with the oil and filter. He said you fill to the lower mark, not the upper mark. I just wanted to start this thread to see what every one else does. I filled mine to the upper mark which was 3.9 quarts like the book says.

Here is his quote on the matter:

You DO NOT want to fill the crankcase above the LOWER sight line, the further you go above the bottom line the more oil you will end up with in the air box, then down the sides of the left carbs, then down the drain tube until it drips on the ground and starts marking territory like some other brand that will remain name-less. 3.3 is pretty close to with a filter change, no more than 3.5 for sure.

I am just searching for the truth on the matter.

Edited by Reshired

Most of us know what the owners manuel says but someone I respect said that it was wrong and that you should put only 3.3-3.5 quarts of oil back in after a change with the oil and filter. He said you fill to the lower mark, not the upper mark. I just wanted to start this thread to see what every one else does. I filled mine to the upper mark which was 3.9 quarts.

Better have a spare set of spark plugs handy, they will probably get fouled soon. Normally fill about halfway between the marks.

I don't measure the volume when I refill, just watch the glass. I fill anywhere from 1/2 glass to all the way up to just a small bubble visible on top. After 55,000 miles on two RSVs, I have never had a problem with this. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I dont even look at the sight glass. I just put in 3.75 qts out of a gallon jug.

You won't foul the plugs if you over fill it, it'll just blow out the crankcase vent and make a mess.

I know with the Mk1, it fouls the right rear plug, when too high. Maybe the difference in air cleaner systems, for the no plug fouling.

I added the quote in the OP. He says it would run down the left side carbs, and said nothing of fowling the plugs. The level I currently have is right at the top mark with a bubble visible above it. It was on a MC jack which held it straight up.

Well I guess mine is different. With oil and filter change my Venture will hold 3 qts to center of site glass. I have let it drain for an hour and it did not make any difference.

tew47

Well I guess mine is different. With oil and filter change my Venture will hold 3 qts to center of site glass. I have let it drain for an hour and it did not make any difference.

tew47

Mine was at the center when I had 3.5 quarts. are you sure the bike was straight up or on the side stand.

I just did the 4,000 mile oil change on my 07 RSV, I went ahead and changed the oil filter to a Mobil 1, and put 3qts 20 ounces of 4T in, I had the 20 ounces left from the oil change on my 1100. That amount of oil filled it to just over the half way point to the top line.

:Cartoon_397:

tew47

Me too. On centerstand.